ADVERTISEMENT

MBB- best path of least resistance in the BTT?

Feb 25, 2008
As it stands, it looks like getting the 6 offers the best path for a deep run for the Hawks.

Obviously some things could still happen to change some of the matchups, but as the 6, this is what we would face, as it stands right now:

Winner of 11 Penn State vs 14 Michigan

Winner of 2nd Rd matchup faces 3 Northwestern. A Northwestern team that is banged up and ready to just get to the NCAA Tournament.

Then a Semifinals match with potentially 2 Illinois, or others depending on upsets.

Teams to avoid: Ohio State (do not want), Purdue (obviously), Wisconsin (because f*** Wisconsin, that's why)

Yeah?.....

As it stands, it looks like getting the 6 offers the best path for a deep run for the Hawks.

Obviously some things could still happen to change some of the matchups, but as the 6, this is what we would face, as it stands right now:

Winner of 11 Penn State vs 14 Michigan

Winner of 2nd Rd matchup faces 3 Northwestern. A Northwestern team that is banged up and ready to just get to the NCAA Tournament.

Then a Semifinals match with potentially 2 Illinois, or others depending on upsets.

Teams to avoid: Ohio State (do not want), Purdue (obviously), Wisconsin (because f*** Wisconsin, that's why)

Yeah?.....
Yeah, stay away from OSU right now. Those freshmen and sophomores are really playing well right now

I hate Wisconsin, but hell yes I want the Hawks to play them in the BTT - if possible.

IF the Hawks don't win the BTT, can you imagine how sweet it would be if the win over the Badgers is what ended up getting Iowa an at-large bid to the Dance? Besides, even though Iowa did even the season series, we still owe them another L for that crap at the Kohl Center at the start of January.

F* yes bring on Bucky in Minneapolis!

I agree the 6th seems ideal. If they can get the 6th by beating Illinois and still get it I think that's the best outcome. I think at that point a win over Penn state or Michigan would get us in and anything beyond that would be for seeding.

Although I realllly want the 6-seed for the Hawks so badly - as the time the Iowa games would be played for myself, personally, would be very ideal - it's looking quite likely that if the Hawks beat Illinois next weekend and the rest of the regular season games go as I think the most likely outcomes, it will move the Hawks up to the 5 spot.

It would set up a path of 12 Maryland/13 Rutgers winner on Thursday afternoon. Wisconsin on Friday afternoon. 8 Minnesota/9 Penn St vs 1 Purdue winner on Saturday afternoon. Bottom-half of the bracket survivor on Sunday.

If Rutgers can pull one out of their butt midweek at the Kohl Center*, it would drop the Badgers to the 6 and move NW up to the 4.

* - I'm calling it now. Wisconsin is not winning in W Lafayette on Senior Day next weekend.

Last edited:
While I would prefer the 6-seed for my own selfish reasons, Hawks would most likely set up a really perilous journey through the BTT if they lose next Sunday.

Would set up a path of 11 Ohio St /14 Michigan winner on Thursday night, and we should pretty much just pencil in the 11-seed as the team that advances out of that 11vMichigan game. And OSU is an uber-dangerous opponent right now. Nebraska on Friday night. 7 Michigan St / 10 Indiana vs 2 Illinois winner on Saturday afternoon. Top-half of the bracket survivor on Sunday.

Even though it'll likely be Purdue on BTT Saturday if end up as the 5 seed, I like Iowa's chances of reaching the semis a hell of a lot more in that slot than from the route that would be provided as the 6 seed. And if beat Illinois and reach BTT Saturday, they'll likely be playing for seeding/placement at that point. If Iowa loses next Sunday, they will likely need to reach the semis and give that opponent a really good fight just to provide the Selection Committee the possible decision to sneak the Hawks into a play-in game.

While I would prefer the 6-seed for my own selfish reasons, Hawks would most likely set up a really perilous journey through the BTT if they lose next Sunday.

Would set up a path of 11 Ohio St /14 Michigan winner on Thursday night, and we should pretty much just pencil in the 11-seed as the team that advances out of that 11vMichigan game. And OSU is an uber-dangerous opponent right now. Nebraska on Friday night. 7 Michigan St / 10 Indiana vs 2 Illinois winner on Saturday afternoon. Top-half of the bracket survivor on Sunday.

Even though it'll likely be Purdue on BTT Saturday if end up as the 5 seed, I like Iowa's chances of reaching the semis a hell of a lot more in that slot than from the route that would be provided as the 6 seed. And if beat Illinois and reach BTT Saturday, they'll likely be playing for seeding/placement at that point. If Iowa loses next Sunday, they will likely need to reach the semis and give that opponent a really good fight just to provide the Selection Committee the possible decision to sneak the Hawks into a play-in game.
I don't think Ohio State will end up back in the 11 seed.

I don't think Ohio State will end up back in the 11 seed.
Still too many different variables and scenarios left to be played out to determine where anyone but Purdue (#1) or Michigan (#14) will end up as far as BTT seeding goes.

Gonna be an interesting week in terms of results - and how that changes seeding scenarios - between now and 6p next Sunday (tip time of Iowa vs ILL).

Somebody needs to find and link the dude who has all the scenarios figured out for the final week as to what seed teams will be with all the possible outcomes in the final 11 regular season games on the B1G schedule.

Its presented in a color-coded graph.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT