ADVERTISEMENT

One month until conference tournament - predictions

Nov 9, 2007
The best time of the year is rapidly approaching. Figured I'd throw some predictions out with a month to go:
1) Purdue will win the Big Ten Tournament (shocker!) and make the Final Four
2) Northwestern will end up as the 2 seed in the BTT, and will be a very tough out in the Dance.
3) MSU will go on a run and only lose one more game in the regular season.
4) Hawks give a higher seed some heartburn in the BTT but lose out in the end, with a hope that next year brings a return to relevance
Hate to admit it, but I think ISU has a strong chance of making the Final Four (and is a smart darkhorse to do so for us gamblers), depending on matchups.

Reactions: cmhawks99
Hate to admit it, but I think ISU has a strong chance of making the Final Four (and is a smart darkhorse to do so for us gamblers), depending on matchups.
Iowa State is really good but they lack dynamic scoring options for a deep run like that. I'd be weary of Iowa State catching a team like Kentucky in the round of 32 and their turnover defense being negated by 2 or 3 guys catching fire from deep.

Reactions: CyberJJ
I don't think ISU will make Final-4.....their defense makes sweet16 reachable, but too flawed on offense for run beyond that.

Purdue will make the Elite8---that is the best Painter has ever done. There are enough teams out there that have an athletic 7'0 and post depth that can partially neutralize Eddy...or you beat them with great guards and let Eddy have his points but shutdown Purdue perimeter guys (Oregon recipe to woodshed beat Garza led Iowa team). Purdue is a pretty average team when Eddy is on bench and he's been getting star protection by B1G refs that won't be there in NCAA tourney.

If Nebraska by some miracle makes the sweet16, that will be 2nd sweet16 for Hoiberg vs zero for Fran. If Otzelberger at ISU makes sweet16, that will be his 2nd. I can't find the stat handy but Iowa has is something
like the 3rd longest streak of not making NCAA sweet16 among P5 conference teams.....I will go out on a limb and predict Iowa is not making the Sweet16 this year. Iowa likely 1 and done in BTT. Maybe NIT bid and 1 home win in NIT. It would be be nice to go 3-2 or at least 2-3 in last 5 games with tough schedule ahead..

Iowa will be one and done in the BTT. They will go to the NIT and win 2 games at Carver.

The B1G will get 6 teams in the Dance. They will go 4-2 in Rd 1 and 3-1 in Rd 2, with PU, MSU and IL advancing to the S16. Only PU will advance to the E8 and will lose a heartbreaker there.

ISU will make the finals of the B12 tourney and lose to Houston. They will make it to the S16 and lose there.

Iowa will be one and done in the BTT. They will go to the NIT and win 2 games at Carver.

The B1G will get 6 teams in the Dance. They will go 4-2 in Rd 1 and 3-1 in Rd 2, with PU, MSU and IL advancing to the S16. Only PU will advance to the E8 and will lose a heartbreaker there.

ISU will make the finals of the B12 tourney and lose to Houston. They will make it to the S16 and lose there.

ISU at Houston tonight at 8:00 PM on Big Monday.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
Iowa loses its BT tournament game.
Purdue does not make the Final Four.
The last team to lose a first round game as a 1 seed that made the tourney the following year won it all.

I don't see PU getting past round of 16.

The best time of the year is rapidly approaching. Figured I'd throw some predictions out with a month to go:
1) Purdue will win the Big Ten Tournament (shocker!) and make the Final Four
2) Northwestern will end up as the 2 seed in the BTT, and will be a very tough out in the Dance.
3) MSU will go on a run and only lose one more game in the regular season.
4) Hawks give a higher seed some heartburn in the BTT but lose out in the end, with a hope that next year brings a return to relevance

Could you define what you mean by relevance?

I can't find the stat handy but Iowa has is something
like the 3rd longest streak of not making NCAA sweet16 among P5 conference teams.....I will go out on a limb and predict Iowa is not making the Sweet16 this year. Iowa likely 1 and done in BTT. Maybe NIT bid and 1 home win in NIT. It would be be nice to go 3-2 or at least 2-3 in last 5 games with tough schedule ahead..

You can always count on Logic for accuracy.

Iowa - 1999

Big East
St Jonhs -1999
DePaul- 1984

SEC
Georgia - 1996
Miss St - 1996

Big 12
TCU - 1968
UCF - 0

PAC 12
California - 1997
Arizona St - 1995
Colorado - 1969

Now for the real kicker
B1G
Minnesota - 1990 (‘97 vacated)
Rutgers - 1979
Northwestern - 0
Nebraska - 0

3rd longest P5 school huh? There’s four in the B1G alone with longer streaks. Maybe get that list handy and update it 🤷‍♂️

You can always count on Logic for accuracy.

Iowa - 1999

Big East
St Jonhs -1999
DePaul- 1984

SEC
Georgia - 1996
Miss St - 1996

Big 12
TCU - 1968
UCF - 0

PAC 12
California - 1997

Arizona St - 1995
Colorado - 1969

Now for the real kicker
B1G
Minnesota - 1990 (‘97 vacated)
Rutgers - 1979
Northwestern - 0
Nebraska - 0

3rd longest P5 school huh? There’s four in the B1G alone with longer streaks. Maybe get that list handy and update it 🤷‍♂️
There you go confusing everyone's narrative with facts.... JFC. lol

Ice T React GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Reactions: iahawks10
There you go confusing everyone's narrative with facts.... JFC. lol

Ice T React GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

But 3rd longest sounds a lot better.

Maybe we should see all of the schools who haven’t been to the tournament since Iowa’s last appearance (2023) or last elite eight…. Maybe final four or since Iowa’s last win? Nope. The Sweet 16 is the only thing that matters around here because we can work that into the narrative better.

Reactions: LukaDuka
I don't think ISU will make Final-4.....their defense makes sweet16 reachable, but too flawed on offense for run beyond that.

Purdue will make the Elite8---that is the best Painter has ever done. There are enough teams out there that have an athletic 7'0 and post depth that can partially neutralize Eddy...or you beat them with great guards and let Eddy have his points but shutdown Purdue perimeter guys (Oregon recipe to woodshed beat Garza led Iowa team). Purdue is a pretty average team when Eddy is on bench and he's been getting star protection by B1G refs that won't be there in NCAA tourney.

If Nebraska by some miracle makes the sweet16, that will be 2nd sweet16 for Hoiberg vs zero for Fran. If Otzelberger at ISU makes sweet16, that will be his 2nd. I can't find the stat handy but Iowa has is something
Purdue is susceptible to teams that trap the post well.

Edey is actually too unselfish. He automatically looks to pass if there's a double when he could just plow through it and draw fouls.

Reactions: lucas80 and NI hawk
Iowa will be one the last four teams to not make the big dance. We win a couple of NIT games and that will be wrap for the 2023-24 season.
Dont think they win any NIT games as they will be up against teams that don't play a big 10 style of play. Like them playing a school from a big conference instead of the little guy that shoots lights out from 3. Think they have more success in NCAA tournament . Just have to get in .

Reactions: NevadaHawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT