ADVERTISEMENT

MBB: Post Indiana thoughts ....

DanHawkPella

HR Legend
Jul 24, 2001
  • Couldn't be happier for the kids - the emotion for Bohannon, both McCaffrey brothers, the Murray's and the whole bench was great to see. Bohannon's decision to come back, and Connor for coming back after surgeries - you could see it all pay off in their faces after this one. What a good feeling for them ..... and us as fans.
  • Not a well coached or played game overall - we had good stretches, but also bad stretches. Indiana was getting about 80% of the 50/50 balls and the refs were letting people go over the back and a lot of bumping going on. We didn't respond well to that type of game, especially around the rim and on loose balls. Thought we were soft in rebounding and loose ball situations, and again had some dumb 1st half turnovers. Need to be tighter at starts of games, as I think our Turnover average in the BTT is higher than the regular season.
  • We were doubling on the high side, which means the defender on Jackson Davis had to do a better job of not letting him go baseline. Feels like we do worse against longer, athletic bigs than beefy bigs because of how they attack the glass, our inability to affect their close shots, and also because they can defend the Murray's better on the other end too. We were better with Kris in there - a tough game for Rebraca as he just isn't long or springy enough to compete against that type of front line.
  • Indiana did a good job of bringing the double team on either Murray when they drove, because both of them prefer to drive and then reverse spin. The double was coming from their blind side on the reverse spin and took that away. Combine that with them allowing guys to bump you off your driving line meant that it was a hard game to drive all the way to the rim. They were also stripping guys early in the game when the drove into double teams.
  • I thought Patrick should not play much in the 2nd half because of how this game was being played, but he adjusted well and not only cut down his turnovers but he made a lot of very tough shots. He kept us in it there for a stretch where we were at risk of the lead getting away from us. He had one shot blocked on a drive in the first half by Jackson Davis and so in the second half he went to a ridiculous left handed running hook. That was SALTY!
  • Ulis again struggled - would be happy to give his minutes to Sandfort moving forward, but we will need him in spots. Joe T was tough and physical in this game and was a positive today.
  • Bohannon overall did a good job, obviously came up big at the end because every dribble drive by a Murray resulted in guys being open for 3's (they needed to do more of that rather than just catching and reversing the ball if not open). While his last shot banked in, it wasn't totally luck because he used a quick release due to the big guy closing out on him, and he got good rotation and a good line on it even though he couldn't control the distance. A lot of guys can't get that shot off.
  • Perkins played very well overall - had some breakdowns on defense and on that last turnover I thought Connor or someone should come get it from him, but normally he's ok in that situation. You just want to have someone with the ball used to ballhandling in that scenario and who makes good decisions, like Bohannon or Connor. Good to see him have success in his home state though!
  • Connor played well despite not scoring much - had a tough offensive board at a key point and did good things with the ball in his hands.
  • I thought Iowa's zone was a better option than man to man, so wish we had played more of that. We also should have fully fronted Jackson Davis and forced a lob entry because we were double teaming on the catch anyway so why not just deny the pass altogether. Trying to 1/4 front him with Rebraca is stupid.
  • Jackson Davis had 31 and 10 and Keegan had 32 and 9 - quite the matchup there. Keegan is the better NBA player because he can do it at all 3 levels, but a great college matchup. Still think we can lob it to Keegan a lot more when they front him, as long as the weak side is lifting above the wing to keep the rim help away.
Great win, would be a great locker room.

Happy for Fran and staff to get the BTT monkey off their back, and think we have a good chance tomorrow no matter who we play.

Last edited:
  • Couldn't be happier for the kids - the emotion for Bohannon, both McCaffrey brothers, the Murray's and the whole bench was great to see. Bohannon's decision to come back, and Connor for coming back after surgeries - you could see it all pay off in their faces after this one. What a good feeling for them ..... and us as fans.
  • Not a well coached or played game overall - we had good stretches, but also bad stretches. Indiana was getting about 80% of the 50/50 balls and the refs were letting people go over the back and a lot of bumping going on. We didn't respond well to that type of game, especially around the rim and on loose balls. Thought we were soft in rebounding and loose ball situations, and again had some dumb 1st half turnovers. Need to be tighter at starts of games, as I think our Turnover average in the BTT is higher than the regular season.
  • We were doubling on the high side, which means the defender on Jackson Davis had to do a better job of not letting him go baseline. Feels like we do worse against longer, athletic bigs than beefy bigs because of how they attack the glass, our inability to affect their close shots, and also because they can defend the Murray's better on the other end too. We were better with Kris in there - a tough game for Rebraca as he just isn't long or springy enough to compete against that type of front line.
  • Indiana did a good job of bringing the double team on either Murray when they drove, because both of them prefer to drive and then reverse spin. The double was coming from their blind side on the reverse spin and took that away. Combine that with them allowing guys to bump you off your driving line meant that it was a hard game to drive all the way to the rim. They were also stripping guys early in the game when the drove into double teams.
  • I thought Patrick should not play much in the 2nd half because of how this game was being played, but he adjusted well and not only cut down his turnovers but he made a lot of very tough shots. He kept us in it there for a stretch where we were at risk of the lead getting away from us. He had one shot blocked on a drive in the first half by Jackson Davis and so in the second half he went to a ridiculous left handed running hook. That was SALTY!
  • Ulis again struggled - would be happy to give his minutes to Sandfort moving forward, but we will need him in spots. Joe T was tough and physical in this game and was a positive today.
  • Bohannon overall did a good job, obviously came up big at the end because every dribble drive by a Murray resulted in guys being open for 3's. While his last shot banked in, it wasn't totally luck because he used a quick release due to the big guy closing out on him, and he got good rotation and a good line on it even though he couldn't control the distance. A lot of guys can't get that shot off.
  • Perkins played very well overall - had some breakdowns on defense and on that last turnover I thought Connor or someone should come get it from him, but normally he's ok in that situation. You just want to have someone with the ball used to ballhandling in that scenario and who makes good decisions, like Bohannon or Connor. Good to see him have success in his home state though!
  • Connor played well despite not scoring much - had a tough offensive board at a key point and did good things with the ball in his hands.
  • I thought Iowa's zone was a better option than man to man, so wish we had played more of that. We also should have fully fronted Jackson Davis and forced a lob entry because we were double teaming on the catch anyway so why not just deny the pass altogether. Trying to 1/4 front him with Rebraca is stupid.
  • Jackson Davis had 31 and 10 and Keegan had 32 and 9 - quite the matchup there. Keegan is the better NBA player because he can do it at all 3 levels, but a great college matchup. Still think we can lob it to Keegan a lot more when they front him, as long as the weak side is lifting above the wing to keep the rim help away.

Happy for Fran and staff to get the BTT monkey off their back, and think we have a good chance tomorrow no matter who we play.
I wonder if Iowa was worried about going to zone and allowing Indiana to catch some 3s and make their lead that much harder to cut into.

Also, that reminds me of last year when we started playing better defense for a stretch towards the end of the season. Fran was adamant that they were sticking to man to man defense and wasn't gonna let the zone bail them out, and the players responded.

It might be wishful thinking, but I will be glad to to have other league's refs in the NCAAs. The Big10 always seem to allow very physical play. It helps teams like MSU and Indiana, but not the Hawks. I'll probably be bitching about ticky tack fouls next weekend.

Reactions: DanHawkPella
  • Bohannon overall did a good job, obviously came up big at the end because every dribble drive by a Murray resulted in guys being open for 3's. While his last shot banked in, it wasn't totally luck because he used a quick release due to the big guy closing out on him, and he got good rotation and a good line on it even though he couldn't control the distance. A lot of guys can't get that shot off.

fantastic writeup.

JoeT was playing well and JBO had missed his shots so I was all for JBO on bench. However, JBO wasn't really being abused on defensive end, so playing him didn't hurt the defense much. Turns out Fran was correct to leave JBO in because in the last 2 minutes, JBO was able to get looks and finally make them

PMAC and Perkins also rewarded Fran for his patience. I still think Kris should have played more. Rebracca usually is a fighter on the boards----seemed like he mostly got abused.

Fortunately we don't have to play Indiana again. TJD is too much for this team.

Reactions: DanHawkPella
It might be wishful thinking, but I will be glad to to have other league's refs in the NCAAs. The Big10 always seem to allow very physical play. It helps teams like MSU and Indiana, but not the Hawks. I'll probably be bitching about ticky tack fouls next weekend.
That guarantees nothing.....

I don't care how they call it but wished they would have sent everybody the memo that the games would now be called in a completely different way the last couple weeks.

Reactions: rsigmundi
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT