ADVERTISEMENT

McCaffery and Cook Teleconference notes

TomKakert

Publisher, HawkeyeReport.com
Sep 16, 2001
Fran Teleconference notes

How the year can help Tyler?

it's a win-win. Can help us as a team and help him individually. Got better in his two years. Think what we will see is he puts time in and gets better in his junior year.

Surprised by his decision?

Not surprised. Thought he would do what he did. Expected him to do this. From early on in his recruitment, he talked about the NBA. After two years, he explored his options. Kid wants to play in the NBA and baffled by everyone being surprised. If the indications were he was a first round pick, he should have gone. Everyone over-analyzed what he was doing.

What they told him and how it impacts him?

He will take everything he was told by NBA people seriously. He's a guy that asks questions and likes feedback. He was seeking that information and was curious. Works on his game all the time and will take that information and go to work. He has always put winning above everything. Not a guy that hunts shots. He's a team guy.

What has to change to improve Iowa?

When you have a losing record, there are a lot of factors. Defense wasn't good. Offensive numbers were good. What are the factors that you can quantify. Young team, goofy injuries. We have to recommit to each other. Have to get stronger. Kind of have to break it down and put it all back together. Start with skill development and strength and conditioning and then go to the full five on five.

What about the logjam of minutes? Any thoughts on trimming rotation?

Nothing you can do now. That will figure itself out over time. Last year we had a guy leave before the first game. We had concussions and broken fingers. You need depth. You have the option of redshirting. Right now everyone is equal and you go from there.

Feedback from NBA scouts on Isaiah?

I think in Isaiah's case, you don't know until you know. Basically he knew he wasn't getting drafted early and had conversations and is motivated. Expect him to take another step.

How beneficial is the NBA process for players?

I think it is beneficial for the player. It's a good thing. It was always speculation before without access. It will be beneficial for Cook next year when he goes through it again. He will be even more confident next year. I think eventually they will let everyone go through the whole process, maybe get drafted or not get drafted and then decide if they want to go back to school. It's a problem for some coaches, but it helps the kids. At the end of the day, it's about what's best for the student-athletes.

How do you handle a player like Tyler who might be better for your team at one position, but long term at another position?

Doesn't really look at it that way. Runs motion and he can catch and go at any time at any place. The position is kind of irrelevant for Tyler.

What will it take to make him a first round pick and work within framework of the team?

What they said was look at the improvement from freshman to sophomore year and do that again. One area they talked about him was the defensive end. In the NBA they switch everything. They told him that it's critical to stay in your stance to guard multiple positions. He fits in that mold as an athlete. Have to stay committed and in your stance. The direct conversations he had will help him.

What are the one or two things you want to see from him this year?

He wants to lead this team. That's what I love about him. He knows we lost 19 games last year and wants to lead and I have encouraged him to do that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News