ADVERTISEMENT

Meat Packing America: How Migration, Work, and Faith Unite and Divide the Heartland.

lucas80

HR King
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2008
I took a chance on this book that I saw at Prairie Lights one day. It's a pretty fascinating read about the meat packing industry in Iowa. Decades ago the unions were busted up, and in their place came new factory farms staffed with a large percentage of non white workers. The book delves into the changes that many small, rural towns have faced, and continue to face as the industry evolves.
I found some of the passages about the plant in Columbus Junction fascinating because I have a lot of family in the area, and my mom grew up. in the area. One person the book follows is a 90+ year old woman named Corrine who grew up in the area. She was born and raised on a farm to an Irish Catholic family. The book goes into the discrimination the Irish faced in Iowa. As the book moves along this sweet old lady describes growing up a devoted Catholic going to Mass at St. Malachy's in Letts, and not being able to understand the Latin the priest used. Time passed and the church was closed as membership dwindled. Corrine moved to a church in Wapello, which was closed in a year. She is now attending St. Joseph's in Columbus Junction. English services will draw 50 or so church members. Spanish speaking services will attract up to 300, featuring families with many young kids. Corrine, who grew up attending Mass in a language she could not understand, now gets uncomfortable about Mass in Spanish. There are some very telling comments about the area, and how folks feel as Iowa changes around them. It's odd to hear a sweet old lady who grew up Catholic in an area where discrimination was prevalent, now being pretty open about how she doesn't like all the newcomers speaking a different language. She doesn't appreciate the vibrancy they bring, and that they are helping keep the area going on as more and more rural communities in Iowa shrink.
Beyond that, there is lots of gritty, grimy, bloody stuff about the efficiency of these plants, and the toll they take on the workers. And, how the plants use religion to recruit and retain workers. Finding clergy who can appeal to the proliferating religions, and the multitude of languages being spoken.
If you have the time, and the interest, it's worth a read.

I grew up in a town 12 miles from Columbus Junction. It is really cool to see that place change since the early 90s. There are a lot of 2nd generation kids in the area now and it’s really helped inject life into the area.

I can see how a 90 year old wouldn’t like it but CJ would be a dead town if they didn’t come

I am flattered that people read this, as I worked on a farm and in the primary meat processing department. Then I was transferred to the packing booth, where I was responsible for properly packing meat for export. Each of these plants does a tremendous job of improving the quality and expanding the range of meat and processed meat. At https://www.spackmachine.com/, we were taught about proper packaging to keep meat fresh and free of condensation. I was even in the hides and feathers processing shop. It's also a cool sight.

Last edited:
I took a chance on this book that I saw at Prairie Lights one day. It's a pretty fascinating read about the meat packing industry in Iowa. Decades ago the unions were busted up, and in their place came new factory farms staffed with a large percentage of non white workers. The book delves into the changes that many small, rural towns have faced, and continue to face as the industry evolves.
I found some of the passages about the plant in Columbus Junction fascinating because I have a lot of family in the area, and my mom grew up. in the area. One person the book follows is a 90+ year old woman named Corrine who grew up in the area. She was born and raised on a farm to an Irish Catholic family. The book goes into the discrimination the Irish faced in Iowa. As the book moves along this sweet old lady describes growing up a devoted Catholic going to Mass at St. Malachy's in Letts, and not being able to understand the Latin the priest used. Time passed and the church was closed as membership dwindled. Corrine moved to a church in Wapello, which was closed in a year. She is now attending St. Joseph's in Columbus Junction. English services will draw 50 or so church members. Spanish speaking services will attract up to 300, featuring families with many young kids. Corrine, who grew up attending Mass in a language she could not understand, now gets uncomfortable about Mass in Spanish. There are some very telling comments about the area, and how folks feel as Iowa changes around them. It's odd to hear a sweet old lady who grew up Catholic in an area where discrimination was prevalent, now being pretty open about how she doesn't like all the newcomers speaking a different language. She doesn't appreciate the vibrancy they bring, and that they are helping keep the area going on as more and more rural communities in Iowa shrink.
Beyond that, there is lots of gritty, grimy, bloody stuff about the efficiency of these plants, and the toll they take on the workers. And, how the plants use religion to recruit and retain workers. Finding clergy who can appeal to the proliferating religions, and the multitude of languages being spoken.
If you have the time, and the interest, it's worth a read.
Yes, there was a day in my lifetime when working in a packing plant in Iowa provided a living wage to Whitey (one of those jobs white people won't do! LOL!). White privilege indeed. I know many of those folks to this day who worked in those packing plants for a time as young men, it was hard work but it was a good job back then too, and yes they're now old.

I don't know much about the industry as a whole, but there was a time in NW, Iowa when they went to Kosher beef for a period, which I believe entails a Rabbi blessing the beef and cutting it's throat as opposed to the conventional methods at the time (I assume that still happens somewhere, but no idea).

What happened when the unions got busted was importing people who were willing to work for that lower wage (legally and otherwise), and tax the hell out of your towns social services with a shitload of different languages and dialects. Don't know much about the Columbus Junction area, but Storm Lake is the poster child in Iowa for this IMO. IIRC they are the only school system in Iowa that has more than 50% "minorities". One can form their own opinion on how "vibrant" it is I guess. Like anything else I'm sure some are fine people and some aren't.

I know it provided some good comedy many years ago listening to a regional radio station attempt to pronounce the names of the folks who came afoul of the law in the Storm Lake area (not a Smith or a Jones to be found! They weren't Latino's either, so not real sure of the country of origin). So the butchering going on wasn't reserved for the plants themselves. LOL!

Reactions: NCHawk5
Yes, there was a day in my lifetime when working in a packing plant in Iowa provided a living wage to Whitey (one of those jobs white people won't do! LOL!). White privilege indeed. I know many of those folks to this day who worked in those packing plants for a time as young men, it was hard work but it was a good job back then too, and yes they're now old.

I don't know much about the industry as a whole, but there was a time in NW, Iowa when they went to Kosher beef for a period, which I believe entails a Rabbi blessing the beef and cutting it's throat as opposed to the conventional methods at the time (I assume that still happens somewhere, but no idea).

What happened when the unions got busted was importing people who were willing to work for that lower wage (legally and otherwise), and tax the hell out of your towns social services with a shitload of different languages and dialects. Don't know much about the Columbus Junction area, but Storm Lake is the poster child in Iowa for this IMO. IIRC they are the only school system in Iowa that has more than 50% "minorities". One can form their own opinion on how "vibrant" it is I guess. Like anything else I'm sure some are fine people and some aren't.

I know it provided some good comedy many years ago listening to a regional radio station attempt to pronounce the names of the folks who came afoul of the law in the Storm Lake area (not a Smith or a Jones to be found! They weren't Latino's either, so not real sure of the country of origin). So the butchering going on wasn't reserved for the plants themselves. LOL!
So, you were replaced?

So, you were replaced?
Always pushing tired narratives trying to place people in groups to call them racists. Always. Different style, maybe a question every once in awhile, but your intentions are plain as day.

My late husband spent many years in the meat business as an executive with Oscar Mayer, then Armour Foods and finally Ball Park Franks.
Oscar had a big plant in Davenport as I recall, and we almost moved there.
He only went to observe a kill floor (hogs) once but he came home and said he wouldn’t ever be able to do what those guys did.

Dubuque pack employees had a saying

It was a horrible job that paid enough so your kids wouldn’t have to do it.

no doubt the general wealth gap is a big factor but their is a legit point to it.

My late husband spent many years in the meat business as an executive with Oscar Mayer, then Armour Foods and finally Ball Park Franks.
Oscar had a big plant in Davenport as I recall, and we almost moved there.
He only went to observe a kill floor (hogs) once but he came home and said he wouldn’t ever be able to do what those guys did.
You dodged a big bullet? 😂

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT