ADVERTISEMENT

Megan Gustafson: Naismith, AP, USBWA, ESPN & Honda National POY! Lisa Leslie Award! 2x B1G POY!

D31U3O8XkAALyV4.jpg

Most WNBA rookies earn approx. $41,202; the #1 draft pick last year received $52,564. They then play overseas during the off-season where they make a lot more money.
A google search found this:

Median salaries in the WNBA are around $71,635, and starting salaries are$50,000, while players in the Euro League start at $100,000. To put everything in context, the minimum salary of a professional NBA player is $582,180

So I'll admit that I don't follow the WNBA close...I do watch however...but what is the story of 16 players being drafted ahead of Megan? Is it a case of she is a true center? Team needs?

I appreciate any input.

So I'll admit that I don't follow the WNBA close...I do watch however...but what is the story of 16 players being drafted ahead of Megan? Is it a case of she is a true center? Team needs?

I appreciate any input.
The ESPN blurb questioned if her defense was good enough for the pro's. And then, like you stated, I think it comes down to team needs, a team's style of play, etc

It'll be interesting; she can hit the 17 foot jumper or you can post her up

The ESPN blurb questioned if her defense was good enough for the pro's. And then, like you stated, I think it comes down to team needs, a team's style of play, etc

It'll be interesting; she can hit the 17 foot jumper or you can post her up

Dallas already has a 6-8 C, 6-4 C, 6-6 F-C and 6-5 F-C on their roster so I don't see the need. If she doesn't make it, she will still have a great career somewhere else in the world.

Dallas already has a 6-8 C, 6-4 C, 6-6 F-C and 6-5 F-C on their roster so I don't see the need. If she doesn't make it, she will still have a great career somewhere else in the world.
She can earn $100,000 overseas. And think about it; that's not bad money plus you get to see Europe!

Maybe Gustafson should take a look at the Chinese league. Top players were making $600,000 in 2014:

https://www.businessinsider.com/brittney-griner-basketball-china-2014-4

Though it sounds like it's extremely competitive. Back then only one non-Asian player was allowed on each of the 12 teams. It has grown to 18 teams and it appears two non-Asian players are allowed now. The Shanghai team has only one non-Asian player. Talk to Yao Ming already!

THE AWARDS KEEP RACKING UP:

* 2019 Naismith National Player of the Year
* 2019 AP National Player of the Year
* 2019 USBWA Ann Meyers Drysdale National Player of the Year
* 2019 EspnW National Player of the Year
* 2019 Lisa Leslie Award (Nation's Top Center)

* 2019 First-Team AP All-American
* 2019 USBWA First Team All-American
* 2019 WBCA First Team All-American (Women's BB Coaches Assn)
2019 espnW First Team All-American
* 2019 John R. Wooden First Team All-American

* 2019 BIG Player of the Year
* 2018 BIG Player of the Year
* 2019 B1G Tournament Most Outstanding Player

* 2019 Senior CLASS Award Winner (Community, Classroom, Character, Competition); See: http://www.seniorclassaward.com/new...-19_senior_class_award_for_womens_basketball/
--The award, chosen by a nationwide vote of Division I women’s basketball coaches, national basketball media and fans, is given annually to the most outstanding senior student-athlete in Division I women’s basketball.

* A two-time Academic All-Big Ten selection

* Finalist for the John R. Wooden Award. One of FOUR finalists for two other major national awards — the Naismith and Wade Trophy (won by Oregon's Sabrina Ionescu). Winning any of these awards would add to her legacy, not define it.

Here are the high points of her 2018-19 resume so far, and will be updated as the awards keep rolling in:

HONORS & AWARDS:

* Naismith National Player of the Year

* Associated Press National Player of the Year

* ESPN National Player of the Year

* USBWA Ann Meyers Drysdale National Player of the Year

* Lisa Leslie Top Center Award

* First-team all-America (Associated Press)

* First-team all-America (ESPN)

* First-team all-America (Women’s Basketball Coaches Association)

* First-team all-America (US Basketball Writers Assn--USBWA)

* First-team all-American Wooden Award

* Senior CLASS Award

* Unanimous first-team all-Big Ten (coaches & media)

* Big Ten player of the year (coaches & media)

* Big Ten tournament MVP

* 13-time Big Ten player of the week

IOWA RECORDS:

* Points in a game — 48, March 2, 2018 (vs. Minnesota)

* Points in a season — 1,001, 2018-19

* Points in a career — 2,804, 2015-19

* Rebounds in a season — 481, 2018-19

* Rebounds in a career — 1,459, 2015-19

* Double-doubles in a season — 33, 2018-19

* Double-doubles in a career — 88, 2015-19

NCAA DIVISION-I STATISTICAL SEASON RANKS (through regional semifinals):

* Scoring — No. 1, 27.8 points per game

* Points — No. 1, 1,001 (4th all-time Division-I)

* Field-goal percentage — No. 1, .696

* Field goals made — No. 1, 412

* Double-doubles — No. 1, 33 (ties Division-I record)

* Rebounds — No. 2, 481

* Rebounds per game — No. 3, 13.4 per game

NCAA DIVISION-I ALL-TIME CAREER RANKS (through first 2 rounds of 2019 NCAA):

* Double-doubles — No. 4, 88

* Field-goal percentage — No. 5, .657 (1,136-1,730)

* Rebounds — No. 14, 1,459

* Points — No. 24, 2,804

Source: https://www.thegazette.com/subject/...9-awards-honors-rankings-and-records-20190404

A google search found this:

Median salaries in the WNBA are around $71,635, and starting salaries are$50,000, while players in the Euro League start at $100,000. To put everything in context, the minimum salary of a professional NBA player is $582,180

This January 2019 article is the most current I’ve found (the salaries I originally referenced were from a 2018 article):

https://www.swishappeal.com/wnba/20...-salary-cap-situation-tina-charles-maya-moore

The first through fourth picks in the 2019 WNBA Draft will earn $53,537, the fifth through eighth picks will earn $49,539 and the ninth through 12th picks will earn $44,207. Second round picks will earn $42,570. Third round picks will earn the minimum of $41,965.

This January 2019 article is the most current I’ve found (the salaries I originally referenced were from a 2018 article):

https://www.swishappeal.com/wnba/20...-salary-cap-situation-tina-charles-maya-moore

The first through fourth picks in the 2019 WNBA Draft will earn $53,537, the fifth through eighth picks will earn $49,539 and the ninth through 12th picks will earn $44,207. Second round picks will earn $42,570. Third round picks will earn the minimum of $41,965.
And don't most who play in Europe earn around $100,000?

So then she is looking at $142,570 (WNBA + Europe) for her first year of professional ball?

Not too bad for a single lady just out of college.

Sure it's not NBA money but still....

;)

In the WNBA, there is a 12 player maximum roster for teams.

Therefore, Dallas has 6 players to cut!

This is their current 18 woman roster:

https://wings.wnba.com/roster/

In the end, Megan won 4 of the 6 National Player of the Year awards:

* 2019 Naismith National Player of the Year
* 2019 AP National Player of the Year
* 2019 USBWA Ann Meyers Drysdale National Player of the Year
* 2019 EspnW National Player of the Year

The Oregon girl won these 2:
* The Wade Trophy
* The Wooden Award

Reactions: BGHAWK
Thank you Franisdaman for all of your posts and pics and videos.
just remember: years from now you can search on "Megan Gustafson" and pull up this thread (that's why I changed the title)

it might be a while before we have another player of her caliber:

* breaking all the Iowa & B1G records
* being a CONSENSUS (not unanimous) National Player of the Year
* being a 2 time B1G Player of the Year

Reactions: cyberhawk
Yes, thank you especially Franisdaman for your many contributions but also to all of the more recent contributors to the WBB threads. I hope that the recent increased interest will remain and carry into the next season. The more [positive contributors], the better.

Megan will be remembered as a consensus AA and there will be so many other comments from all of the previous women’s basketball threads that will show up in a search of her name in this forum, such as this excerpt from my ‘WWB 16/17 Season’ thread initial post, highlighting my optimism for Megan’s career after her first college season...

cyberhawk HR MVP
Now that the WBB season is over, I thought it would be appropriate to start a new aptly named thread to make one final comment about this past season and begin an encouraging look forward to next year and beyond [...]

[...]

[...] In addition to showing 'flashes' as a team, the most encouraging takeaway was the development of the two B1G All-Freshmen, Megan and Tania. I think Megan was especially impressive after she became a starter. Her development and progress over the entire season was nothing short of amazing. I believed before the season that she could possibly break Iowa's records for double-doubles in a single season and for her career. I think that is even more possible now. Not only that, but I believe she could possibly rewrite the record books for scoring and rebounds. I will even suggest that she will average a double-double for her career. I also believe Tania could challenge the records for assists.

[...]

I can hardly wait for the 16/17 season to begin! Go Hawks!

1 Mar 20, 2016
Last edited:

I should have also mentioned that I thought that she would be the GOAT, not only in Hawkeye history but in B1G history as well, a consensus National player of the year and winner of the Senior CLASS Award among many other notable achievements, but I just wasn’t quite that bold.

Last edited:
Just won the Honda Sports Award for player of the year in women's basketball. She'd been slipping and hadn't won anything in at least a week. Don't suppose she actually wins a Honda.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...ory.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.7e73b3253c88
She probably does... a 2020 model.

Gustafson becomes eligible for Collegiate Woman Athlete of the Year, which will be awarded June 24.

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26561946

Last edited:
Love that she won the Honda. One of the old-time WBB awards that has the great pre-NCAA players on the list. When you're on the same list as Lynette Woodard, you're in good company.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Love that she won the Honda. One of the old-time WBB awards that has the great pre-NCAA players on the list. When you're on the same list as Lynette Woodard, you're in good company.
It is crazy to think how D1 college women's basketball is pretty new (thanks to Title IX) when compared to the men.

1982: when we had our first D1 Women's basketball National Champion! Link to list of all the National Champions: https://www.ncaa.com/history/basketball-women/d1

Also, it is pretty neat seeing some of these awards that we never knew existed!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT