ADVERTISEMENT

Megan Gustafson Pro Career

"One-year contract" to me implies that her salary, if she makes the team, might be a hair more than the vet minimum. I doubt it's a guaranteed contract though so there's still a very real possibility she gets cut in training camp.
Usually it is guaranteed when they say its a one year deal. Otherwise it would be called a training camp contract.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
Usually it is guaranteed when they say its a one year deal. Otherwise it would be called a training camp contract.
A training camp contract is one-year, non-guaranteed, at the minimum salary. I don't see any reason why Gustafson's contract couldn't be one-year, still non-guaranteed, but at like $2,000 over the minimum salary or something. So basically a few extra thousand dollars as a gesture of good will from Phoenix.

I'd actually be quite surprised if Gustafson's contract were guaranteed. Teams may only guarantee a limited number of contracts and they usually reserve this for starter-caliber players. Of course I'd be very happy to be wrong because that would be great news for Megan! Details about the contract will likely emerge in the coming days.

I think Megan is at a disadvantage being straight and white. Another player straight white said she was kind of ostracized by most team members. And if you watched Megan last year she would be open and the pg would pretty much ignore her and pass elsewhere.
Careful…..

A training camp contract is one-year, non-guaranteed, at the minimum salary. I don't see any reason why Gustafson's contract couldn't be one-year, still non-guaranteed, but at like $2,000 over the minimum salary or something. So basically a few extra thousand dollars as a gesture of good will from Phoenix.

I'd actually be quite surprised if Gustafson's contract were guaranteed. Teams may only guarantee a limited number of contracts and they usually reserve this for starter-caliber players. Of course I'd be very happy to be wrong because that would be great news for Megan! Details about the contract will likely emerge in the coming days.
So it *is* just a training camp contract. (source linked) One-year, non-guaranteed, at the veteran minimum salary of $74,305, and a very real chance she gets cut in camp. Four post players are likely to make the team, and she will be, at best, third on the post depth chart behind Griner and Brianna Turner. Rooting for her!

Reactions: natchrlman
If true, it appears she has a great chance to stick 🤔
As of *now* she's the third best post. But Phoenix has only signed 7 players at the moment and 15 will ultimately go to camp, including some more posts surely. We have no way of knowing what other signings they may or may not have planned for that position. Free agency is just getting underway.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
I think Megan is at a disadvantage being straight and white. Another player straight white said she was kind of ostracized by most team members. And if you watched Megan last year she would be open and the pg would pretty much ignore her and pass elsewhere.

c25f0-01a60a75-6978-4242-8942-435be71203e0.png

It is very cliquey

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
Watched the game on CBS Sports last night. Griner was hurt at the end of the first half, which gave Meg more minutes second half. She looked really good (better than Griner) in her limited time. Should continue to get more time if Griner’s injury keeps her out for a while.

Side note: Even before Meg came on, someone hit a logo three and the announcers called it a “Caitlin Clark Special”. When Meg hit her one and only three attempt, they talked about her record and Clark. The league can’t wait until she’s there.

Watched the game on CBS Sports last night. Griner was hurt at the end of the first half, which gave Meg more minutes second half. She looked really good (better than Griner) in her limited time. Should continue to get more time if Griner’s injury keeps her out for a while.

Side note: Even before Meg came on, someone hit a logo three and the announcers called it a “Caitlin Clark Special”. When Meg hit her one and only three attempt, they talked about her record and Clark. The league can’t wait until she’s there.
Neither can Connor 😉

WHat is a 'naturalized' player? It isn't the same as a naturalized citizen is it?
Pretty close, actually. It’s a player who has been a naturalized citizen for the country they represent in international play, for the purpose of international play. I’m not sure the requirements for basketball, but soccer requires any of the following:

1. The player was born on the territory of the association.
  2. The player's biological mother or father was born on the territory of the association.
  3. The player's grandmother or grandfather was born on the territory of the association.
  4. The player has lived on the territory of the association for at least five years.
Does Meg have a Spanish grandparent? Or is basketball much looser? These are answers we hopefully get soon.

Pretty close, actually. It’s a player who has been a naturalized citizen for the country they represent in international play, for the purpose of international play. I’m not sure the requirements for basketball, but soccer requires any of the following:

1. The player was born on the territory of the association.
  2. The player's biological mother or father was born on the territory of the association.
  3. The player's grandmother or grandfather was born on the territory of the association.
  4. The player has lived on the territory of the association for at least five years.
Does Meg have a Spanish grandparent? Or is basketball much looser? These are answers we hopefully get soon.
Sounds as though she doesn't have any of those ties, which is what I would have guessed. No idea what The Teller Report is other than what came up when I googled. Is she leaving the Mercury for this tournament? If the Griner injury is ongoing guessing that changes things.
Maybe just trying to get her foot in the door for the Olympics.

Last edited:
Sounds as though she doesn't have any of those ties, which is what I would have guessed. No idea what The Teller Report is other than what came up when I googled. Is she leaving the Mercury for this tournament? If the Griner injury is ongoing guessing that changes things.
Maybe just trying to get her foot in the door for the Olympics.

It appears they are using this loophole:

FIBA has an exception that allows the Secretary General to authorize a nationality change to a player's "country of origin" (i.e., a country where the player has recent ancestral roots) if it is "in the interest of the development of basketball in the country".[1]
[…]
FIBA allows one naturalized player to be on the roster of a national team per game.[2]

Reactions: twindman
Or: Today's White Men look back nostalgically at the world they built, which is now being destroyed by cognitively insufficient interlopers.
Black inventors gave us:

Automatic transmission
Blood banks
Clothes dryers
Gas Furnaces
Thermostats
The Modern Toilet
Traffic lights

I feel sorry for you and that level of ignorance.

Black inventors gave us:

Automatic transmission
Blood banks
Clothes dryers
Gas Furnaces
Thermostats
The Modern Toilet
Traffic lights

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Says the very first search result after one Google's "black inventions." Lmao. Just off the top of my head, the flushing toilet was patented by White Man Alexander Cummings in the late 18th century.

Better luck next time, Smart Guy.

Black inventors gave us:

Automatic transmission
Blood banks
Clothes dryers
Gas Furnaces
Thermostats
The Modern Toilet
Traffic lights

P.S. Oscar H. Banker invented automatic transmission. Oscar H. Banker was an Armenian Amercian. Armenia is not in Africa.

Last edited:
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Says the very first search result after one Google's "black inventions." Lmao. Just off the top of my head, the flushing toilet was patented by White Man Alexander Cummings in the late 18th century.

Better luck next time, Smart Guy.
“Off the top of” your head. 😂🤣😂🤣

I went off the top of my head which is why it was an automatic gear shift I meant. The blood bank (and blood transfusions) aren’t on that list either. Happy to educate you and any other MAGAts here. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: dean_oliver222
“Off the top of” your head. 😂🤣😂🤣

I went off the top of my head which is why it was an automatic gear shift I meant. The blood bank (and blood transfusions) aren’t on that list either. Happy to educate you and any other MAGAts here. ;)

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Nearly all of the information you've provided has been counterfactual. Another example: Frederick Robertshaw (White boy) invented the first thermostat. The colored dude you're referring to merely improved upon Robertshaw's original invention (good for him, I guess).

Further, not a single one of these inventions you list would have been created without the profit motive inherent to capitalism. Which is a uniquely Western system (i.e. White).

Your rigid adherence to linear thinking is quite embarassing, Little Man. But yea, you're the one doing all the "educating." Absolutely ****ing pathetic.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Nearly all of the information you've provided has been counterfactual. Another example: Frederick Robertshaw (White boy) invented the first thermostat. The colored dude you're referring to merely improved upon Robertshaw's original invention (good for him, I guess).

Further, not a single one of these inventions you list would have been created without the profit motive inherent to capitalism. Which is a uniquely Western system (i.e. White).

Your rigid adherence to linear thinking is quite embarassing, Little Man. But yea, you're the one doing all the "educating." Absolutely ****ing pathetic.
That’s a long winded way of saying you’re pathetic and ignorant.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT