ADVERTISEMENT

Men's Practice video

its been mentioned in the past by several that Fran's 2 fouls in the 1st half & you sit rule probably makes some players leery of playing too hard on the defensive side because they don't want to be sitting most of the 1st half
Fran doesn't want his teams to foul. He wants to push the ball and stopping the game for free throws prevents that in his mind. I also thinks he likes the little caveat that we make more free throws then our opponents attempt. I think this philosophy is stupid at this level of basketball and really doesn't work well in the tournament where it tends to be a half court game and games are allowed to be more physical in the tournament.

Some teams have quick enough athletes that can avoid fouling and still play good defense.
For the most part college basketball is about being extremely physical on defense and daring the reffs to call it.

I don't see very many possessions where defense is played cleanly by any team.

In the final 4 Vangundy was beside himself at the amount of fouls going uncalled vs how it would be called in the NBA.

This is what makes Frans strategy so crazy. He wants to avoid fouling in a game where you are ultimately rewarded for it because if you do it consistently enough they just stop calling it.

I feel like most coaches have this rule so it's never made much sense to me
Most coaches do sit their players with 2 fouls. The national average, year over year, is about 20-23% participation with 2 fouls in the first half. If a starter gets 2 fouls with 10 minutes in the half, on average, they will then only play 2 more minutes in the half (20%).

Fran is regularly bottom 10 in the country for 2 foul participation (usually around 3.5%) and was dead last in 2023. But there's no correlation to success/wins. Dan Hurley was right next to Fran in 2023 (3.5% to 0.1%) and UConn won the title.

I recall some games that Brauns got 4 fouls in about 4-5 minutes one game. Yes he does play defense but a little too much at times! LOL
When you only play a few minutes, there's a sense of urgency. You really want to make something happen because you know you won't be out there for long. If Brauns knew he'd get 15-20 minutes a game, the foul problem would take care of itself, IMHO.

I like what the kid brings. He's just an old-school rebounder and defender, which is exactly what Iowa needs.

Most coaches do sit their players with 2 fouls. The national average, year over year, is about 20-23% participation with 2 fouls in the first half. If a starter gets 2 fouls with 10 minutes in the half, on average, they will then only play 2 more minutes in the half (20%).

Fran is regularly bottom 10 in the country for 2 foul participation (usually around 3.5%) and was dead last in 2023. But there's no correlation to success/wins. Dan Hurley was right next to Fran in 2023 (3.5% to 0.1%) and UConn won the title.
A hard and fast rule like this is just plain stupid. Use it as a guideline, sure, but usage should take opponent, momentum, individual, score, etc. into account. To sit a guy every time is just idiocy. Sorry.

From today:

GQEDx13XQAAxZr7

GQEDx13W0AAnrIy

GQEDx14XsAAruR6

Holy $&@& - that’s right. That’s depressing right there.
Lots of programs would kill to win a B1G Tourney Title once every 15 years.

For instance, Indiana, Maryland, Minnesota, Penn State, Nebraska, Rutgers and Northwestern who have never won even a single title in the entire history of the tourney.

Entering year #15 with the Fran regime. Which means I have zero expectations and I should just be happy if we make the big dance.

Oh what a sad program we have become on the MBB front …
You had higher expectations with Steve Alford and Todd Lickliter?

Tom Davis had one Sweet 16 run over his past ten years of coaching and people on here are ready to put a statue outside of Carver for him.

Reactions: NI hawk
Perkins wanted to be something he's not, if you watched closely last season every time Brock was on the court he was directing traffic, something he's been doing for years. It will be interesting to see if Thelwell provides the same leadership when he's in the games.
Thelwell has already proven his leadership, and he just needs to establish a bond with the rest of the team.

Reactions: LukaDuka
Typical Fran team.

They will score points. Run great in bounds plays, some nice set plays, bother a few teams with the 3/4 court pressure. They will not block out well and lose the offensive rebound battle most B1G nights, get beat off the dribble with unathletic wings, play a zone that gives up too many open looks, and still be in the running for an NCAA berth in the last two weeks.

At this point, it is what it is. We could be Lickliter teams. We aren't. We could be a team with more athleticism and defensive effort. We aren't. I don't see much changing from year to year.

• Sad
Reactions: BirdistheWord
Yes, he does not fit the mold. Actually he should have played more last year. Not saying he is a world beater but we could have used his size and effort. Thr PMac and Krikke show was brutal some nights.
could have red shirted Dembele and played Brauns more.

For the most part college basketball is about being extremely physical on defense and daring the reffs to call it.

I don't see very many possessions where defense is played cleanly by any team.

In the final 4 Vangundy was beside himself at the amount of fouls going uncalled vs how it would be called in the NBA.

This is what makes Frans strategy so crazy. He wants to avoid fouling in a game where you are ultimately rewarded for it because if you do it consistently enough they just stop calling it.
That's the Izzo way

Typical Fran team.

They will score points. Run great in bounds plays, some nice set plays, bother a few teams with the 3/4 court pressure. They will not block out well and lose the offensive rebound battle most B1G nights, get beat off the dribble with unathletic wings, play a zone that gives up too many open looks, and still be in the running for an NCAA berth in the last two weeks.

At this point, it is what it is. We could be Lickliter teams. We aren't. We could be a team with more athleticism and defensive effort. We aren't. I don't see much changing from year to year.
Can't argue with most of your post but I do think we have to wait to see the new guys before we decideit will be same old, same old.
Athletically, I am certain that the four newcomers will exceed Tony, Patrick and krikke.
Now they probably will not shoot the ball as well cept for Koch.
Press might be more effective with more quicks avaiable with length.

I think this squad has more guys on it that actually fit Frans up tempo style than last year.
Cautiously curious but next year could beintersting.

Typical Fran team.

Are you paying attention to who has been added to the team? This will be the most athletic team Fran has had recently, and maybe ever since he came to Iowa. Whether they will play good defense still remains to be seen.

Reactions: skydog0784
Are you paying attention to who has been added to the team? This will be the most athletic team Fran has had recently, and maybe ever since he came to Iowa. Whether they will play good defense still remains to be seen.
3 out of the 4 new guys play the same position and the more athletic ones can't shoot so who knows how any of this is going to work and who Fran will let play and where.

My guess is that Fran will play guys like the Sandforts and Koch out of position on the perimeter where they will be too slow to defend and it will still be helter skelter running around trying to overhelp.

The defense will obviously be better because it can't be worse but I can't imagine it being a strength.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT