ADVERTISEMENT

Michael Caine appreciation thread.

lucas80

HR King
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2008
I've been on a bit of a tear the last few weeks watching his movies from the 60s and 70s. Currently I am working my way through the unfortunately named Harry Palmer series after watching Zulu, and the original Alfie. I must say I never appreciated him enough. The man has had a fantastic career. He has had a wide variety of roles, but has mostly kept his everyman, South London accent.
Born Michael Joseph Micklelwhite he changed his name to Michael White after moving to London after first trying regional theater. His agent told him there already was an actor using the name Michael White. Caine tells the story that he was talking to his agent from a phone booth in Leicester Square, and there was a marquee for a showing of The Caine Mutiny across the square. He joked that if there had been a tree in the way he'd have been known as Michael Mutiny.
I was reading his Wiki page and it notes that he served in combat with the Royal Fusiliers during the Korean War, and his unit fought off numerous Chinese human wave attacks. There isn't much about his time in the service, but he has commented several times that surviving those assaults caused him to have a live life for the most attitude once he returned to civilian life, and that seeing the callous sacrifice of life made him turn away from Communism.
Please share your favorite Michael Caine roles. I'll throw out Dirty Rotten Scoundrels where he was paired with Steve Martin. Fabulous movie.

G3Qaj2.gif

I watched the 1964 film Zulu today. Lots of boobs for a 1964 film. This was his first major film role after 10 years on the stage, and minor movie roles. Apparently he yanked the audition, but the director was a blacklisted American working in England, and the production schedule was so tight they took him on. Caine noted that only an American would have overlooked his Cockney accent in casting him as an officer from a military family.

For a long time, my favorite novelist was Graham Greene. Most of his books were made into movies including these two:

"Beyond the Limit" based on the novel "The Honorary Consul:"

.... Michael Caine and Richard Gere and set in Paraguay:

"The Quiet American" based on the novel of the same name and set in Viet Nam in the late fifties/early sixties.

Two others that were great:

"The Man Who Would be King" based on a Rudyard Kipling short story.

"Get Carter"

Last edited:
I watched the Italian Job this week. Just amazing car scenes for a 1969 movie. Check it out some time. Plus it has a lot of witty dialogue, and cheeky British sex jokes.

The man has incredible range. Watching him as Scrooge in A Muppets Christmas Carol right now.

Reactions: HawkRugged17
Got to wave at him when he was in town filming Mr. Destiny a loooong time ago. Actually got to meet Linda Hamilton and held her baby. My LEO brother was security and the house they used for Hamilton’s was just a few blocks from my parents’ house. She was a peach. Belushi was a total ass.

Reactions: Titus Andronicus
Caine has announced that he’s retiring from acting. He’s got a great role in a movie hitting the screens soon as a WW2 Royal Navy vet escaping his nursing home to participate in a D-Day remembrance event. He figures he’ll never get another role this good again, so time to hang it up.
Side note, I was listening to an interview with Patrick Stewart recently and he mentioned how he grew up with a solidly working class accent, and he credited actors like Albert Finney and Caine for busting some glass ceilings holding back working class actors in the UK.

Ladies and Gentleman, Sir Michael Caine brings inspiration to this Kipling work. I challenge you all to listen to this every day for a week and see if your productivity and / or outlook on like have changed

Reactions: hwk23
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT