ADVERTISEMENT

Midlands Session 3 Thread

If I had known there were so many precious little snowflakes on here that can't handle hearing a recruit from 10 years ago didn't like Iowa, I wouldn't have posted about it.

If I had known there were so many precious little snowflakes on here that can't handle hearing a recruit from 10 years ago didn't like Iowa, I wouldn't have posted about it.

Are people not aware of the lengths Iowa has been going to to change that perception? My goodness, people. js isn’t saying anything we weren’t already aware of.

That's great for Brent, but it's by no means a morally superior position. In fact, I think you'd find that most wrestlers prefer to celebrate because celebrating is fun and this whole thing is supposed to be fun. I've never understood people who try to pretend sports aren't childrens games played by adults. You'd think that now that this team is finally overcoming the stigma of being a bunch of over-serious a-holes, we wouldn't be critiquing our freshmen for smiling after a win.

Here's an anecdote for you. Several years ago, I was teammates with a kid who was ranked first in the country. I, being an Iowa fan, asked if he was considering Iowa. His response: "No, those guys are a bunch of assholes." He ended up wrestling for another big ten program.
So he made his decision based hearsay? Sounds like we were better off.

So he made his decision based hearsay? Sounds like we were better off.
Totally not the point, but yes he never outscored an Iowa guy at NCAAs, so the program did not suffer his absence. However, he's not the only talented kid that thought that about Iowa, and whether or not he was correct has nothing to do with it. The misconception existed. The coaching staff has worked very hard to correct it, and it's paying off with better recruiting.

Reactions: BuckeyeintheChi
Are people not aware of the lengths Iowa has been going to to change that perception? My goodness, people. js isn’t saying anything we weren’t already aware of.
I feel like I'm going crazy right now lol.

don't pretend to be something you are not and your message will be received as intended.

I remember him melting down last year at Midlands and then finishing 5th at Nationals. As fun as it is to win all the weights at Midlands, it doesn’t matter. No one is peaking yet, and they shouldn’t be. There’s plenty of time to figure out everything between the ears. If he comes back and wins 3rd, or at least wrestled a good match with Brucki then I’m not concerned. If he continues to meltdown, that’s different. I don’t give a crap if he’s crying as he comes off the mat as long as he gets it together for his next match. And it shouldn’t matter. Show some emotion. Then get over it. He’s not mentally weak for crying or “breaking down” right after a loss. He’s mentally weak if he crumbles on the backside.

Welp, seems like he was still melted down against Brucki.

I don’t think saying “why am I like this” is that bad, but crying on the mat kinda is. You can be mad at yourself without pouting for all to see. I mean look at DeSanto, he’s been losing with class since last season and he’s one of the most determined guys there are.

Excellent match by ADS vs #9.

Good match by Murin vs #19.

Good match by Lugo vs. #7.

Good match by Turk vs. #1 even though he lost.

Good match by Young vs. #5. But he continues to leave too many points on the board. had the guy dead to rights on multiple occasions and lost the leg. Getting to the leg, sucking it in, and finally getting up to your feet with it is the hard part. Young gets to that point multiple times, then inexplicably fails to score. He's got to seal the deal every time he has the opportunity and his matches won't be so close.

So-so match by Marinelli vs #18. Riding time is only worth 1 point no matter how many minutes you have.

Excellent match by Assad vs. #21. He will be our 184-pounder for the next four years. But he BARELY beat #19 in the R16 and BARELY beat #11 in the QFs. And he was way too happy after each match, which says to me that he was a bit surprised that he beat each of them, or at minimum relieved. He SHOULD beat all of those guys, and he SHOULD pin the #21 guy. At this point he is a champion in the making but a low AA threat for 2020, which is why we should leave the shirt on. But let's see how he does in the finals. His confidence is building.

Bad match by Warner vs #14. He was clearly the better wrestler, but the other guy was the little engine that could, kept coming and coming and coming. Too many mistakes by Warner. Never should've let that match slip away.

Good match by Cass vs. #15.

I included the rankings of opponents to show that the only matches that should've been close were Turk, Young, Lugo, and ADS. Shows how good ADS is.

I know you’ve kinda gotten pounded on for the Assad comments which I agree with all the crtiticism of, but I think the craziest thing is that you think he “should be” PINNING the #21 guy?? I got criticized because I said the 2x champ Lee should be pinning 2 guys ranked around the 50’s, so I think I need to call out how crazy it is to say a true freshman that most aren’t sure is even any better than the 2 R12 type guys Iowa already has should be pinning top 20 guys.

I don’t think saying “why am I like this” is that bad, but crying on the mat kinda is. You can be mad at yourself without pouting for all to see. I mean look at DeSanto, he’s been losing with class since last season and he’s one of the most determined guys there are.
Appreciate the input Oprah.

Reactions: castichawk24
Your the same moran that said Abe's ceiling was round of 12.

I know you’ve kinda gotten pounded on for the Assad comments which I agree with all the crtiticism of, but I think the craziest thing is that you think he “should be” PINNING the #21 guy?? I got criticized because I said the 2x champ Lee should be pinning 2 guys ranked around the 50’s, so I think I need to call out how crazy it is to say a true freshman that most aren’t sure is even any better than the 2 R12 type guys Iowa already has should be pinning top 20 guys.
Yeah, okay, okay, I get that.

With apologies for a long post...

Please take it in the context of the discussion of whether to burn his shirt. My broad point was that he's not yet ready, based on a few factors.

One factor was that he took a couple of losses five weeks ago at Lindenwood. So his improvement is rapid but he's still gaining skill and confidence.

Another is that he barely beat #11 and #19--both could've gone either way. That is not a criticism--they were the biggest wins of his career. But they put him in the R12 range, arguably the same as Wilcke.

The final observation, which I probably shouldn't have mentioned, is that his excitement after those wins (and his pin of #21) seemed to indicate that he wasn't sure he was going to win them. That may not be true at all, and he certainly deserves to celebrate the biggest wins of his career. But I don't think he will be celebrating a win over #19 this time next year. I think he will be very disappointed if he loses to #1. That is a different mindset, and I don't think that was his mindset a few days ago.

As for whether he "should" be beating or pinning guys in the top 20 at this point, that's less about Assad specifically than a philosophical viewpoint about how we win titles again.

Thirty years ago, Tom and Terry had the mindset even as true freshman that they could beat anybody. Hell, Tom thought he could beat Lewboo! It was audacious, and it propelled them to greatness and influenced the mindset of the entire team. Spencer Lee is the embodiment of that now, and it's paying similar dividends.

In short, I'm impressed with Assad's trajectory. I think he needs one more year to be great.

Your the same moran that said Abe's ceiling was round of 12.
Lol, no. I've been pretty consistent in predicting him to be an AA, probably multiiple times. I do think R12 would be his ceiling this year, which would be pretty impressive for a true freshman at a tough weight.

I don't think he melted down against Brucki. He just got out wrestled, especially in the first period. I was somewhat encouraged that he kept working the whole time and even got a meaningless escape with a few seconds to go. In his past melt downs he spent a lot of time on his belly with his head on the mat. He fought the whole time against Brucki, but was outmatched this time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT