ADVERTISEMENT

Midwest supper clubs - is that a real thing?

Fijimn

HR Legend
May 7, 2008
Interesting article about supper club revivals...trying to figure out the difference with a supper club and regular restaurant. Is it an actual club....the one depicted is a new one in Madison, Wisc....looks very good

They were a big thing back in the day, many were spinoffs of local speakeasys. A few have survived over the years but most shuttered long ago. Ced-Rel is still hanging on locally somehow. The Lark has been gone now for over 20 years and The Ranch Supper Club near Swisher closed in 2004. Those are the only ones that I knew about locally in the IC-CR corridor.

When I was a kid we would go to this place in nearby Council Bluffs for special events like birthdays. I always got steak and baked potatoes. And entertained my little brother while waited by eating the butter patties:)

64-Club-Council-Bluffs-Stephens-Rayer.jpg

They were a big thing back in the day, many were spinoffs of local speakeasys. A few have survived over the years but most shuttered long ago. Ced-Rel is still hanging on locally somehow. The Lark has been gone now for over 20 years and The Ranch Supper Club near Swisher closed in 2004. Those are the only ones that I knew about locally in the IC-CR corridor.

Does the Lighthouse Inn count?

Lighthouse Inn on Mt. Vernon Rd in CR is still kicking as well, apparently Capone used to frequent it.

I hate the word "supper" more than any other word in human history. What a stupid effing word. It is somewhat acceptable by women over the age of 90 and the mentally disabled, but otherwise, it's dinner.

I'm guessing your mother-in-law (specifically) called lunch "dinner" and the evening meal supper and thus the strong feelings onwhat is normally a light hearted cultural language topic?

Reactions: haw-key and BC Hawk
I dislike the word supper also. I like supper clubs though, specifically I like the type of salad bars you often find at them, despite the diarrhea that oftentimes results from rubbing elbows with the finger licking boomers and elders with questionable hand hygiene who frequent supper club salad bars.

Reactions: BC Hawk
I hate the word "supper" more than any other word in human history. What a stupid effing word. It is somewhat acceptable by women over the age of 90 and the mentally disabled, but otherwise, it's dinner.

Preach. I can't help but judge people who use "supper".

It’s the place where your parents left you at home with the 16 ur old cheerleader/babysitter and came home smelling like cigs and brandy

When you're an Army brat, those are known as Battalion Dining Out.

We used to go to the Epicurean then renamed the Bryn Mawr supper club outside of Columbus Junction back in the day. Had great steaks and onion rings. I think it's long gone now though.

Reactions: TailgateTom
Supper Clubs would feature live music with
some type of band and perhaps a singer.
Of course steaks & fish were featured entrees.
The Plantation in Moline Illinois in the Quad
Cities was a big one in the 1950's and 60's
It closed in 1992..

Last edited:
giphy.gif

Of course, my no pic wife despises the word "moist" and uses it as an epithet so what do I know?

Reactions: Wendy79 and GOHOX69
I saw a doc on PBS about the few remaining left in Wisconsin. It seemed they were more of a destination type place, like a lodge type of building, out in the woods on a lake, where you could go and get a "fancy" dinner with a band or singer and cocktails that were unique to the establishment. So basically like a lesser version of a country club out in bfe.

Being that I'm mentally disabled, wtf is a supper club?
Basically just a semi nice restaurant that hasn't been updated since 1963. Generally, they serve Northern "comfort food" (steak, potatoes, fried fish) with large relish trays prior to the meal. They usually have large bars and it is common to grab a drink at the bar prior to dinner (or supper).

We used to go to the Epicurean then renamed the Bryn Mawr supper club outside of Columbus Junction back in the day. Had great steaks and onion rings. I think it's long gone now though.
Bryn Mawr was fantastic. My wife's grandparents had a table that was "theirs." Crazy pink building out in the middle of nowhere. The location was selected during prohibition, when the Louisa county sheriff would turn a blind eye to booze, but the Washington county sheriff was a teetotaler. It's right across the line.

I've never been there but there is a place near here called "Heston Supper Club"

My understanding is that supper clubs are considered to be more social than an ordinary restaurant.

I ate at one in St Lucas, IA last week. Whitehouse Supper Club-Lounge.

What are your feelings towards pop vs. soda?

• Haha
Reactions: GOHOX69
It’s only dinner if you had lunch

Reactions: haw-key
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT