ADVERTISEMENT

Millennial parents raising children without religion

MuscoHawk

HB Legend
Gold Member
Oct 6, 2005
https://www.parents.com/parenting/b...tFBXTn7Tqnd2mRkOOhy0Cm3_3lO44uVBVHm_-CTVpPlHE

_107000795_meme4.jpg

Judging by all the violence and hate I don’t believe this is a good trend

The potential benefits associated with personal religiousness have been well-documented. They may include less drug, alcohol, and tobacco use; lower rates of depression and suicide; better sleep quality; and greater hopefulness and life satisfaction. A 2001 study showed that personal religious belief and practice act as a buffer against stress and the negative effects of trauma among first- and second-generation immigrant youth, and reduces the rates of depression among that population. Another study linked higher rates of religious service attendance with better test scores among US girls in the South, pointing to an emerging consensus on “the generally positive role of religious practice on education.”

I am a semi-regular church-attending Christian (was regular before Covid) but the problem I have with most other Christians is they can pick and choose which tenets to live by, like it’s a McDonald’s drive-thru. We all fall well short of the example set by Jesus, but as the saying goes, Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

I cannot in all good consciousness judge another because I know I have plenty of shortcomings and that I am no better (but hopefully not worse) than the next guy

Reactions: hawkosx and littlez
This Boomer did as well. I’d bet on my kids having a better moral character than most of their church going peers.
Maybe. Kids are pretty good at hiding their dirtiest secrets from their parents.

I was a millennial raised by my boomer parents in a church going home. Not super religious, but we went to church once or twice a month. I had peers growing up who were from religious homes and others from non-religious homes. Looking back, I'm comfortable saying the church going fraction of my peers turned out better as a whole than the non-church going. There were/are great people and a few losers in each bunch. Even though I'll at least introduce my child to religion and let them decide which path to take as they mature, I wouldn't look down on anybody who didn't raise their child to be religious, or assume my child is morally superior because they go to church.

Reactions: hawkcub
Maybe. Kids are pretty good at hiding their dirtiest secrets from their parents.

I was a millennial raised by my boomer parents in a church going home. Not super religious, but we went to church once or twice a month. I had peers growing up who were from religious homes and others from non-religious homes. Looking back, I'm comfortable saying the church going fraction of my peers turned out better as a whole than the non-church going. There were/are great people and a few losers in each bunch. Even though I'll at least introduce my child to religion and let them decide which path to take as they mature, I wouldn't look down on anybody who didn't raise their child to be religious, or assume my child is morally superior because they go to church.

This guy gets it. We have people on here condemning people because they are or are not religious.

Reactions: Hawgk
This Boomer did as well. I’d bet on my kids having a better moral character than most of their church going peers.

I am sure your kids are wonderful people.

That being said, what did you base the "moral character " training on as they developed into better than others?

I am sure your kids are wonderful people.

That being said, what did you base the "moral character " training on as they developed into better than others?

They’re not better than all others just better than many of the hypocrites that believe their religious window dressing gives them a pass to not be kind, caring, empathetic and just. I don’t think I specifically trained them in anything in particular, as parents you just try to lead by example first and foremost. I can’t deny my own religious upbringing obviously influences me even today and in the way I raised my kids, but I learned early on that many folks talk a good religious game but the people I actually respected lived it every day, not just on Sunday.

Reactions: NoleinATL
the central person in Christianity is Jesus Christ, the Son of God.
The purpose of Christianity is that people would their faith in
Christ as their personal Lord and Savior. Through the crucified
and resurrected Christ we have forgiveness of sins and eternal life.

Bottom line: Religion is neither good nor bad. Only God/Jesus is good.

You can apply this to every facet of life.

Skin color doesn't make one good or bad; nor does one's financial status, place of birth, genitals, education level, political leans/affiliations, sports teams, etc.

Liberals view religion the way cons view government: a venereal disease to be avoided at all costs. Neither view is correct.

The republican party's weaponization of christianity is having a huge impact on both church going and people wanting to identify as Christian. It is turning literally millions away from religion. Very sad but true.
Is it the republican party or CNN/FoxNews and the MSM pushing this idea that if you're christian you're republican and if you're a democrat your not a Christian.

Reactions: HawkeyeShawn
They’re not better than all others just better than many of the hypocrites that believe their religious window dressing gives them a pass to not be kind, caring, empathetic and just. I don’t think I specifically trained them in anything in particular, as parents you just try to lead by example first and foremost. I can’t deny my own religious upbringing obviously influences me even today and in the way I raised my kids, but I learned early on that many folks talk a good religious game but the people I actually respected lived it every day, not just on Sunday.

Agreed, there are great teachings in religions. The unfortunate part is that religion is often used in contrast to those teachings which pushes many away from the teachings.

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
Liberals view religion the way cons view government: a venereal disease to be avoided at all costs. Neither view is correct.

Even the most hard core R's I know love aspects of govt like police/fire/military. A practicing Dem Catholic occupies the white house as I type this, he's probably just returning home from mass. Your generalizations are ridiculous

President George Washington in his Farewell Address
mentioned that a democracy only works with citizens
who have good moral character.

People are making life way more complicated than what it needs to be. You want your kid to grow up without religion? Cool, do that and see where it leads. You want your kid to grow up with a religion & those beliefs? Cool, do that & see where it leads.

Chastising one or the other is stupid.

People are making life way more complicated than what it needs to be. You want your kid to grow up without religion? Cool, do that and see where it leads. You want your kid to grow up with a religion & those beliefs? Cool, do that & see where it leads.

Chastising one or the other is stupid.

but how do we prove we are better than one another then?? 🙄

Reactions: LuciousBDragon
GenXer raising kids without religion. A few random things:
Former Catholic. Have 30 formal credit hours of college course learning about ALL faiths. I found none of them are needed.
My kids have gone to church with family and grand parents. One of them likes to go to a Christian youth group meeting.
We raise our children that religion is not bad nor are religious people to be looked down upon.

However they have pretty much come to most of the following on their own:
1. Jesus/God is kind of like Santa Claus
2. Respect and treat people with kindness. Life is important. There isn't any thing afterward. This really changes your perspective on things when their is no rescue at the end.
3. Life doesn't need a purpose. You need a purpose. Figure out what you want to do to make your life important.

I am a semi-regular church-attending Christian (was regular before Covid) but the problem I have with most other Christians is they can pick and choose which tenets to live by, like it’s a McDonald’s drive-thru. We all fall well short of the example set by Jesus, but as the saying goes, Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

I cannot in all good consciousness judge another because I know I have plenty of shortcomings and that I am no better (but hopefully not worse) than the next guy
But yet you judged others in your opening sentence...

Reactions: BHawkeye1999
GenXer raising kids without religion. A few random things:
Former Catholic. Have 30 formal credit hours of college course learning about ALL faiths. I found none of them are needed.
My kids have gone to church with family and grand parents. One of them likes to go to a Christian youth group meeting.
We raise our children that religion is not bad nor are religious people to be looked down upon.

However they have pretty much come to most of the following on their own:
1. Jesus/God is kind of like Santa Claus
2. Respect and treat people with kindness. Life is important. There isn't any thing afterward. This really changes your perspective on things when their is no rescue at the end.
3. Life doesn't need a purpose. You need a purpose. Figure out what you want to do to make your life important.
Same, except former Lutheran.

Reactions: Urohawk
Those dads are stupid. Incredibly dumb really. I get 90 minutes every Sunday of pure unadulterated masturbation time while the wife takes the kids to church. Oh well...they’re loss.

Reactions: Urohawk and nelly02
Hello, my name is mstp1992, and I’m a recovering Lutheran.

Same. Missouri Synod Lutheran too so we had to wear coat and ties to church to get berated by the pastor and didn’t have the fun Saturday afternoon, hip Christian band-like church services the fancy ELCA Lutheran church kids had. Nope. It was fire and brimstone, you’re going to hell you piece of shit all day, all the time. Man, good memories. Go church!

A God-centered life sees life as a gift from God. Each day
on earth is a blessing from Him and not to be taken for
granted. God is the Almighty and Majestic Creator of Heaven
and Earth and everything in them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT