ADVERTISEMENT

HAPPY SUNDAY!!! Is Raising Your Kids Without Religion Better?

What?

What we do every moment matters...only saints get to Heaven, IMO.
You're not even trying to be consistent now. You just said to get to heaven one has to love God and a neighbor as they do themselves. No other qualification. That's it. That could include a lot of terrible people.

Then you suggest only saints get to heaven. That leaves out a lot of good people.

You're all over the place. Again.

You're not even trying to be consistent now. You just said to get to heaven one has to love God and a neighbor as they do themselves. No other qualification. That's it. That could include a lot of terrible people.

Then you suggest only saints get to heaven. That leaves out a lot of good people.

You're all over the place. Again.

If someone loves their neighbor as themselves, how could they be a "terrible" person?

• Haha
Reactions: Kelsers
You were citing him as an expert. If you don't ascribe to that position it was foolish to quote him.

It's clear you are very confused.

He is a theological expert but that quote is just his opinion. No one knows how many people are saved but many people have opinions on the topic.

If someone loves their neighbor as themselves, how could they be a "terrible" person?
Really? You can't imagine a devout christian who loves God and loves their family and neighbors doing horrible, terrible things to other people? Really?

My guess is you are using this as another attempt to deflect from the flaws in your argument. If you really can't imagine that happening you are either very naive or in complete denial.

Really? You can't imagine a devout christian who loves God and loves their family and neighbors doing horrible, terrible things to other people? Really?

When Jesus said "love your neighbor", He didn't mean the guy next door lol.

He meant everyone.

He is a theological expert but that quote is just his opinion. No one knows how many people are saved but many people have opinions on the topic.
Sigh - semantics again, but I will play along. Your "theological expert" says that God provides salvation for some people who "fall short". This is in contrast to what you have said. Why do you disagree with this expert?

When Jesus said "love your neighbor", He didn't mean the guy next door lol.

He meant everyone.
:rolleyes:. So you can't imagine someone loving God, loving their neighbors (all of them) and still doing bad things. Again, that's either extremely naive or you're lying.

Beyond that, we still have the question about God providing salvation for people who "fall short".

How can you call it a sacrifice? You are being rewarded.

That's the hypocrisy I'm talking about. Bragging about the "sacrifice" while touting the tremendous rewards. GTFO.
Youbwould turn anything around. My point is that you have nothing to gain. It was a huge risk. Nothing ither than obedience. You know what I meant and you just cant help youself no bragging. When we did it her meds were a couple thousand per month.

I had 3 cars that needed replaced and totaled 750 k miles between them. We had to drive it anyway. Had kids in college. No bragging. There were sacrifices and well worth it.

1/4 of older child adoptions fail do to a lot of reasons. 1 am school board meetings. Night terrors, ptsd reactions...

You deliberately and in veiled hypocracy...again changed things to your narrative which is all over the board.

How dare you accuse I understand the rewards.

Dude you do the same thing over and over to a lot of people. You are an expert gaslighter.

Much of what is done in churches is getting people to give to leaders lifestyles with the promises of gain from God. But you knew that.

Finding your child on the bathroom floor unconcious and not knowing for several weeks the outcome after 7 units of blood. We knew what we were getting into and by standards of society it is a sacrifice. We did what we were asked and gained loving daughters. One of which stab wounds on her body. Both of which require special diers from starvation diets in their past.

But again you like to gaslight.

To obey is better than sacrifice. The Lord asks for mercy, repentence, helping the helpless. Have your spouse give up a job to care...it is mercy and helpingthose the Lord asks us to help. Im sorry someone hurt you so badly in life.

Sigh - semantics again, but I will play along. Your "theological expert" says that God provides salvation for some people who "fall short". This is in contrast to what you have said. Why do you disagree with this expert?

The question of how many people get saved isn't up to me although I tend to agree with Aquinas.

:rolleyes:. So you can't imagine someone loving God, loving their neighbors (all of them) and still doing bad things. Again, that's either extremely naive or you're lying.

Beyond that, we still have the question about God providing salvation for people who "fall short".

Salvation is a mystery this side of the veil. We simply don't know.

That is everyone incuding Riley

Youbwould turn anything around. My point is that you have nothing to gain. It was a huge risk. Nothing ither than obedience. You know what I meant and you just cant help youself no bragging. When we did it her meds were a couple thousand per month.

I had 3 cars that needed replaced and totaled 750 k miles between them. We had to drive it anyway. Had kids in college. No bragging. There were sacrifices and well worth it.

1/4 of older child adoptions fail do to a lot of reasons. 1 am school board meetings. Night terrors, ptsd reactions...

You deliberately and in veiled hypocracy...again changed things to your narrative which is all over the board.

How dare you accuse I understand the rewards.

Dude you do the same thing over and over to a lot of people. You are an expert gaslighter.

Much of what is done in churches is getting people to give to leaders lifestyles with the promises of gain from God. But you knew that.

Finding your child on the bathroom floor unconcious and not knowing for several weeks the outcome after 7 units of blood. We knew what we were getting into and by standards of society it is a sacrifice. We did what we were asked and gained loving daughters. One of which stab wounds on her body. Both of which require special diers from starvation diets in their past.

But again you like to gaslight.

To obey is better than sacrifice. The Lord asks for mercy, repentence, helping the helpless. Have your spouse give up a job to care...it is mercy and helpingthose the Lord asks us to help. Im sorry someone hurt you so badly in life.
No. That's bullshit. You have everything to gain by helping others, especially children. It's sad that you think there was nothing in it for you.

You are finally getting it. We don't know. Despite you and other religious zealots telling us you do.

My work is done here.

We know some things but not others.

For example, we know Jesus existed and was crucified. Those are historical facts.

We don't know how many people get saved.

Have a great evening.

Please don't threaten atheists with Hellfire. I've done it many times and it's problematic because:

1.) It's blasphemy since only God can decide.

2.) It just pushes them away.

Heaven is a better incentive. I think we would all want eternal bliss. :)
Don’t worry, they’re equally as funny.

"kids raised this way display less susceptibility to racism and peer pressure, and are “less vengeful, less nationalistic, less militaristic, less authoritarian, and more tolerant, on average, than religious adults.”

That is an unfortunate indictment about how religion has changed.

Exactly.

We're probably not just a random accident. :)
Yeah, there comes a time when "probabilities" become "improbabilities", even when you measure time on a scale that humans can't even comprehend. (Incidentally, this math left out a whole bunch of other necessary probabilities, setting aside the reference to California, like an earth that has a particular mass and atmosphere.)

Side note - I always get a kick out of how threads about "religion" quickly devolve into much more specific rants against "christianity," usually based on the practices and beliefs of a very particular type of christianity. Just once, I'd like to see them rant against the Orthodox.

Last edited:
Even for those who live out on the frozen tundra who haven’t ever heard of him? Native Americans pre-European explorers? No choice there….?
Just for clarity, the RC answer to this is that there is a place for those who may not know/have known/have had opportunity to know God/Christ, if that person, through whatever cultural or historical lens they view/have to view things, nevertheless is open to and seeks to know God/the divine. (It may take a little longer in the line, whatever "longer" really means in the divine sense, but the place is nevertheless there.)

Last edited:
Just for clarity, the RC answer to this is that there is a place for those who may not know/have known/have had opportunity to know God/Christ, if that person, through whatever cultural or historical lens they view/have to view things, nevertheless is open to and seeks to know God. (It may take a little longer in the line, whatever "longer" really means in the divine sense, but the place is nevertheless there.)
So like the illegal immigrants getting a pass and the ones who do it legally just have to deal with it then? Like that?

"kids raised this way display less susceptibility to racism and peer pressure, and are “less vengeful, less nationalistic, less militaristic, less authoritarian, and more tolerant, on average, than religious adults.”

That is an unfortunate indictment about how religion has changed.

There are a million churches though and most are different.

Even for those who live out on the frozen tundra who haven’t ever heard of him? Native Americans pre-European explorers? No choice there….?

There's an idea of "invincible ignorance" which applies.

So like the illegal immigrants getting a pass and the ones who do it legally just have to deal with it then? Like that?
not the way I'd think of it, but fair enough, yet also not quite right. at this particular border, they actually have pretty good controls, and you do actually have to wait your turn in line for your immigration hearing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT