ADVERTISEMENT

Millennial parents raising children without religion

A God-centered life sees life as a gift from God. Each day
on earth is a blessing from Him and not to be taken for
granted. God is the Almighty and Majestic Creator of Heaven
and Earth and everything in them.

That’s not what I was taught for my first 18 years of life. Fear God meant literally fear the bastard because he was out to get you.

I think you can raise kids without religion. However, if you are, you still have to help them understand where morality comes from and have a solid answer for that if you are not going to include a religious background.

Thousands of years of human history shows us that humans are closer to barbarians than we are Ghandi’s or Mother Theresa’s.

Therefore, is morality passed down from parents to child in words and books? If so, where did the first morals come from then and who decided if they were “good” or not. What defines “good”through the ages? Can one culture have different morals than another culture? Can one culture judge another culture’s morals as “good?”

Is morality a physiological trait? If so, has science found any evidence for this?

I have noticed in my years you don’t have to teach a baby how to be jealous and upset. It knows how to do that from birth. But kindness, compassion, and forgiveness do have to be taught.

Even the most hard core R's I know love aspects of govt like police/fire/military. A practicing Dem Catholic occupies the white house as I type this, he's probably just returning home from mass. Your generalizations are ridiculous

🙄

Same. Missouri Synod Lutheran too so we had to wear coat and ties to church to get berated by the pastor and didn’t have the fun Saturday afternoon, hip Christian band-like church services the fancy ELCA Lutheran church kids had. Nope. It was fire and brimstone, you’re going to hell you piece of shit all day, all the time. Man, good memories. Go church!
Your pastor must have been a piece of work, LCMS has always been on the more conservative side, but they generally are pretty strong on the gospel. being predominantly German based though pretty stoic overall.

Your pastor must have been a piece of work, LCMS has always been on the more conservative side, but they generally are pretty strong on the gospel. being predominantly German based though pretty stoic overall.

As a kid I thought he was just grumpy and mean. Looking back now as an adult I know the appropriate label. He was just a straight up asshole. I’m guessing he ruined many a person’s views on religion in his time.

I don't have children and I'm a fairly committed apostate but if I have kids I'm not going to make them watch Christopher Hitchens videos on YouTube. Religion is part of the world and if they want to go to some church thing with their friends from school I wouldn't want to stand in the way for most of it. There would be limits to this based on my own prejudices (baptized in Roman Catholic Church):
1. They would be allowed to check out most versions of Christianity and Latter Day Saints but absolutely nothing* with any kind of "Baptist" in the title (those people talk about Catholics) unless* it's a black church
2. They would be allowed to check out any form of Judaism that doesn't make you go "Oh! I thought you were Amish for a sec because I'm from the midwest"
3. I would have to go along for Islam and meet the guy because I'm almost entirely ignorant about which ones believe/practice what about women
4. No Scientology
5. We can go spend a fortnight with the Amish to learn basic agrarian survival and get it out of our systems but then we're getting back on the grid without burning the bridge back to the 19th century so we have powerful allies in the event of an attack on our power grid in WWIII
6. Knock yourself out with the eastern religions for all I care

Edit: 7. Okay to participate in charitable mission work. You want to go start knocking on peoples' doors on behalf of the spirit world then you're gonna have to change your name from mine or start paying rent to live here.

Last edited:
Reactions: MuscoHawk
Both church and hell are both better options for these kids than to be around their dad.

The OP is good to see. The first steps to getting rid of religion altogether. Religion will always exist in my lifetime, but hopefully it's not around in 100-200 years.

Both church and hell are both better options for these kids than to be around their dad.

Can you imagine how many crazies the Duggars are going to spawn? Jim Bob and Michelle already have 20 grandchildren.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT