ADVERTISEMENT

Minnesota Meet Thread

LIV4GOD

HR MVP
Nov 23, 2020
I just finished watching Illinois get trounced by Minnesota.

Edmond Ruth went down after winning 20 in a row. Nice win by #15 O'Reilly at 174. #15 Bergeland at 141 dismantled #9 Pucino. Unranked Carlson at 165 for MN beat #19 Braunagel. #10 Byrd barely gets by Gliva of MN 133. Byrd pinned Schriever. And Braunagel who beat Warner, won in OT over Foy. Foy is athletic.

They looked tough and very active, but then again I always think that, and then when teams wrestle Iowa they often look so diminished in ability and activity. I guess that's a testament to Iowa. For example, McKee just looked plain powerful, but when he encounters Spencer it's mostly likely going to be a beatdown as if he's weak.

125:#7 Patrick McKee major dec. Maximo Renteria, 12-2ILL 6 I MIN 16
133:#10 Lucas Byrd dec. Jake Gliva, 3-1ILL 9 I MIN 16
141:#15 Jake Bergeland major dec. #9 Danny Pucino, 12-2ILL 9 I MIN 20
149:#15 Michael Blockhus major dec. Jake Harrier, 14-4ILL 9 I MIN 24
157:#14 Mike Carr dec. Sebas Swiggum, 11-6ILL 3 I MIN 0
165:Cael Carlson dec. #19 Danny Braunagel, 2-1ILL 3 I MIN 3
174:#15 Bailee O'Reilly dec. #10 Edmond Ruth, 6-4ILL 3 I MIN 6
184:#10 Isaiah Salazar dec. #25 Dylan ConnellILL 3 I MIN 9
197:#10 Zac Braunagel dec. #27 Michial Foy, TB-1 5-4ILL 6 I MIN 9
HWT:#32 Garrett Joles dec. Matt Wroblewski, 7-3ILL 6 I MIN 12

Foy is legit. That Braunagel match was a good one. Foy has kept it very close in losses to Allred, Caffey, and Pentz this year. It would be a good sign if Warner can control that match, especially if he can get things going on top, but Foy is tough to take down.

Reactions: LIV4GOD
I just finished watching Illinois get trounced by Minnesota.

Edmond Ruth went down after winning 20 in a row. Nice win by #15 O'Reilly at 174. #15 Bergeland at 141 dismantled #9 Pucino. Unranked Carlson at 165 for MN beat #19 Braunagel. #10 Byrd barely gets by Gliva of MN 133. Byrd pinned Schriever. And Braunagel who beat Warner, won in OT over Foy. Foy is athletic.

They looked tough and very active, but then again I always think that, and then when teams wrestle Iowa they often look so diminished in ability and activity. I guess that's a testament to Iowa. For example, McKee just looked plain powerful, but when he encounters Spencer it's mostly likely going to be a beatdown as if he's weak.

125:#7 Patrick McKee major dec. Maximo Renteria, 12-2ILL 6 I MIN 16
133:#10 Lucas Byrd dec. Jake Gliva, 3-1ILL 9 I MIN 16
141:#15 Jake Bergeland major dec. #9 Danny Pucino, 12-2ILL 9 I MIN 20
149:#15 Michael Blockhus major dec. Jake Harrier, 14-4ILL 9 I MIN 24
157:#14 Mike Carr dec. Sebas Swiggum, 11-6ILL 3 I MIN 0
165:Cael Carlson dec. #19 Danny Braunagel, 2-1ILL 3 I MIN 3
174:#15 Bailee O'Reilly dec. #10 Edmond Ruth, 6-4ILL 3 I MIN 6
184:#10 Isaiah Salazar dec. #25 Dylan ConnellILL 3 I MIN 9
197:#10 Zac Braunagel dec. #27 Michial Foy, TB-1 5-4ILL 6 I MIN 9
HWT:#32 Garrett Joles dec. Matt Wroblewski, 7-3ILL 6 I MIN 12
Kind of a rebound dual for them as they didn't look great in a couple other ones recently.

McKee is a top 3-4 wrestler at the weight as long as he doesn’t have to go immediately after the weigh in. There is a reason he always gets upset first round at B1Gs and NCAAs, and comes storming back on the backside. He’s legit and will provide an actual test if the meet doesn’t start at 125.

Minny is solid up and down the lineup, I can say this, their strength/conditioning program is elite and they seem to have a great supply of hard nose athletic talent. I also have more respect for their coaching staff then many other BiG schools.
You do realize there have been confirmed and documented drug scandals in that program, right?

If they marketed Xanax, who knows what else?

McKee is a top 3-4 wrestler at the weight as long as he doesn’t have to go immediately after the weigh in. There is a reason he always gets upset first round at B1Gs and NCAAs, and comes storming back on the backside. He’s legit and will provide an actual test if the meet doesn’t start at 125.
I don't disagree with this. Then I watch the time they wrestled, and it's Lee pinning him after getting up 14-0.

Of course, this was two years ago.

Agree - McKee has won something like 13 matches in the last 2 ncaa’s guy is nails. Very strong. Not a threat to Lee but I think as close strength wise to glory as he will see.

I predict pain

terry-tate-office-linebacker.gif

You do realize there have been confirmed and documented drug scandals in that program, right?

If they marketed Xanax, who knows what else?
Yes I understand the troubled past I was just speculating on the current team and staff, can you confirm these things are still happening today? If so, this would change my view, but as it stands I believe the current staff is doing a pretty good job. My opinion is based solely on watching the wrestling and the coaches and of course I have no inside information about Their coaches and system.

Last edited:
Yes I understand the troubled past I was just speculating on the current team and staff, can you confirm these things are still happening today? If so, this would change my view, but as it stands I believe the current staff is doing a pretty good job. My opinion is based solely on watching the wrestling and the coaches and of course I have no inside information about Their coaches and system.
Eggum was leading the practices when the drug scandal was exposed. And he still was appointed head coach after Robinson's exit.

I am pretty sure he knew stuff. It helps that the AD doesn't seem to give a shit about wrestling as long as no more scandals come to light.

Reactions: Grip220
This should be a dual with a lot of competitive individual matches and a lopsided final score for Iowa. At 133 Nagao is a tough kid and will be a good measuring stick for Teske if he goes. I wonder if we see Brayton Lee at 157?? 174 O'Reilly is a grinder and someone Nelson has to beat if he wants to podium. 184 Salazar is favored over Assad or backup. 197 Foy gave Jacob a good match last year. If all breaks right for MN it could be a close dual, but I think Iowa wins comfortably.

Wonder why freshman Aaron Nagao didn't wrestle. Think you all will appreciate the way he wrestles if you haven't seen him yet.

He was out the Indiana and Purdue duals as well. Mack Reiter said he was dinged up in the practice prior. Would very much like to see him vs Teske on Friday.
I used to be chummy with Nagao’s dad, he and I trained BJJ together and Aaron trained in the kids program. It was clear early on that he was a stud. He was born with a pretty severe birth defect that he overcame, and seems to be mentally tough likely due to the adversity life threw him at a young age. He placed fifth in the U23 Worlds this October. If styles make fights, he and Teske should match up well.

Last edited:
I used to be chummy with Nagao’s dad, he and I trained BJJ together and Aaron trained in the kids program. It was clear early on that he was a stud. He was born with a pretty severe birth defect that he overcame, and seems to be mentally tough likely due to the adversity life threw him at a young age. He placed fifth in the U20 Worlds this summer. If styles make fights, he and Teske should match up well.
Great insight! He's quickly becoming a favorite of mine. Not a name people brought up much but think he's gonna cause a lot of problems for people down the road.

Weird how a really minor ( if we’re honest) drug scandal crippled this program, but a nationally covered child molestation case has seen PSU flourish. It’d be interesting to hear how these issues are viewed by the student athletes and their parents.
The issue was trying to cover the scandal up...and then scapegoating the two kids, or three, that were jettisoned.

Gopher athletic programs have a pretty shady history...from the brawl/assault of tOSU to the academic thing under Clem Haskins to the "real estate" thingy with J to the football team assault of female students under Claeys(never made it to court) to Xanax to alleged Steveson rape(victim intimidated so no charges ever filed to...oh well, you get the idea.

Pretty dirty program.

As a strategy for the Yellow Rodents, I was thinking of the way I catch and kill voles at the house. 5 gallon bucket filled 1/3 with water. Put a ring of P butter on the inside about 4 inches from the top. Use a thin wood ramp from the ground to the top so the voles have a way up. Get's em every time.

So bait the trap for these Rodents as well. How about the Randy Lewis "Impossible or Disappearing" leg? Eireman sort of did this too. Well, all except Spencer so no chances on his knee(s). I'll hang up and listen

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT