ADVERTISEMENT

Missing the PTL

I wish the summer prime time league would come back. It was fun seeing the new players and getting an early look on their potential.
Couldn’t agree more….. I live quite a ways away but made the trip a couple times each summer. Got to see the players up close and always paid special attention to the new guys and players like Mulvey, Josh O, and Rebraca to see how they look.

Right along with y’all. Was thinking this the other day. Not necessarily a barometer ( i made several horrible pronouncements after a few sessions) but entertainment for the junkies.
That is (was) the right way to take it - with a grain of salt. It was entertainment at best, with players who were otherwise not necessarily stars getting the chance to shine. I really enjoyed it a lot.

Injuries, travel issues for UNI players, then the weirdness of having it in 2 cities (North Liberty and Waterloo) made it too complicated to placate all parties involved. I think Randy just got sick of the whole mess (and he got cancer) so it just went away. Suterman can probably elaborate more.

Reactions: Hawksfor3
Right along with y’all. Was thinking this the other day. Not necessarily a barometer ( i made several horrible pronouncements after a few sessions) but entertainment for the junkies.
Any action draws interest from hardcore fans.
I don't think you were at all alone in the overly enthusiastic assessment department. My recollection is that there were a lot more misses than hits when judging players based on PTL performance.

Reactions: BBHawk
That is (was) the right way to take it - with a grain of salt. It was entertainment at best, with players who were otherwise not necessarily stars getting the chance to shine. I really enjoyed it a lot.

Injuries, travel issues for UNI players, then the weirdness of having it in 2 cities (North Liberty and Waterloo) made it too complicated to placate all parties involved. I think Randy just got sick of the whole mess (and he got cancer) so it just went away. Suterman can probably elaborate more.

Thank you, Randy.
Not Randy. Thanks for editing my post to remove the most valid content, DB.

Not Randy. Thanks for editing my post to remove the most valid content, DB.
What are you talking about here? I did not edit your post but quoted to show my appreciation for him putting all of those moments together for us.

Last edited:
Me too, it was great to get some tidbits from people in attendance who reported their observations on this forum. I recall the reason it ended was due to NCAA regulations allowing teams to practice during the summer and the staff decided to pursue that. I remember UNI pulled out for some reason too - even before that rule change if I recall correctly.

Does anybody remember for sure?

What are you talking about here? I did not edit your post but quoted to show my appreciation for him putting all of those moments together for us.
Sorry if I misunderstood your response. And you did cut off a large part of my post where I referred to Randy among other things.

Reactions: Hawksfor3
Me too, it was great to get some tidbits from people in attendance who reported their observations on this forum. I recall the reason it ended was due to NCAA regulations allowing teams to practice during the summer and the staff decided to pursue that. I remember UNI pulled out for some reason too - even before that rule change if I recall correctly.

Does anybody remember for sure?
I want to say that it was the UNI women that pulled out of the GameTime League early, leading to its demise before the PTL. My recollection on the mens side was that as you say, rule changes allowed coaches to have contact with players in the summer, who then saw no use for the summer leagues.

It was fun. You could tell some things about the players. It isn't the Big Ten but entertaining ball, identify some break out potentials. Entertaining games. Drew a little media attention for Iowa.

Reactions: perryhawk
I remember talking about devyn marbles potential with truehawkfan after some 20 sec videos. Good times.

The PTL was very accurate in one respect: It told you who DEFINITELY would not be a major contributor. If you couldn’t put up decent numbers in PTL, you were not going to do so in the Big Ten.

Woodbury ended up having a solid career, but I knew he would struggle as a freshman immediately after his first PTL game and would not be some type of diaper dandy. Andrew Brommer is another example that comes to mind (stats like 8 points and 11 boards, etc).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT