ADVERTISEMENT

Mississippi, Florida, and South Dakota have the lowest average teacher pay. Average teacher pay by state, 2021

Kimmie will get us into the bottom 10 by the time she leaves office.
I will say that Branstad was the one who signed off on TQ money to raise pay to the middle from around 45. I don’t think Kim has done anything to try to take that away.

Average teacher in South Dakota makes $60k per year according to that link. I live in this state. $60k goes a long ways and is a solid salary for a teacher in SoDak.

Average teacher in South Dakota makes $60k per year according to that link. I live in this state. $60k goes a long ways and is a solid salary for a teacher in SoDak.
Do you have that legal weed thing figured out yet? I’ll be buying in MO before SD gets their sh*t right.

The public school system in Florida is a fvcking joke. If I had kids in school, they’d be going to a private school.

Low cost of living is just an indicator of a shitty place to live.
South Dakota and Iowa are pretty much the same as far as places to live. I've lived in both states and travelled extensively across both of them as well. Sioux Falls = Des Moines as far as metro areas. Yeah, DSM is bigger, but anything you can do in Des Moines you can do in SF. Plenty of nice small towns and smaller cities in SoDak too.

In fact, I could make the case SoDak is a better place to live than Iowa. Outdoor recreation opportunities in the Glacial Lakes region and the Missouri River system. The Black Hills for skiing, snowmobiling, hiking, etc. Our state park system blows Iowa's away. The hunting is fantastic if you are into that.

SoDak has the reservations, which are bad, but Iowa has the southern tier of counties that border Missouri and crap holes like Ottumwa. That's a wash.

South Dakota and Iowa are pretty much the same as far as places to live. I've lived in both states and travelled extensively across both of them as well. Sioux Falls = Des Moines as far as metro areas. Yeah, DSM is bigger, but anything you can do in Des Moines you can do in SF. Plenty of nice small towns and smaller cities in SoDak too.

In fact, I could make the case SoDak is a better place to live than Iowa. Outdoor recreation opportunities in the Glacial Lakes region and the Missouri River system. The Black Hills for skiing, snowmobiling, hiking, etc. Our state park system blows Iowa's away. The hunting is fantastic if you are into that.

SoDak has the reservations, which are bad, but Iowa has the southern tier of counties that border Missouri and crap holes like Ottumwa. That's a wash.
Iowa is home, and always will be, but……it’s not the greatest place to live for a lot of people.

Cool. Don’t live in Iowa and never have. I do live in Indiana, which is another place that touts the low cost of living and is a shitty place to live in many ways.

This isn’t a judgement call by me. It is a pretty basic economic measure that shows that low cost of living is usually a result of people not wanting to be there because it is a shitty place to live. Tons of data and studies on it if you look.

Overall the high end talent and companies that drive economic development demand big incentives to locate in low cost of living locations because those locations don’t provide the amenities and quality of workers they desire. Even within the low cost of living states, the growth and economic wins happen in the more expensive places to live.

Reactions: SolarHawk
Private school grad from FL raises hand to agree
I love how Cons such as yourself are constantly pissing and moaning about society while at the same time trashing public schools. You see, Cons don't get to piss and moan because y'all don't want to fully fund public education. Period! /thread.

Reactions: Tom Paris
I don't think you could pay me enough to teach kids these days. Sure, there are some awesome kids. But dealing with the "Jerry Springer" kids would give me a heart attack or a stroke

Reactions: Tom Paris
The only complaint about 9 month school year is the teachers bitching about is contract hours (8-4). To be a good teacher it takes tons of time outside of contract hours.

I have numerous relatives that are in education. My wife is a principal. They look down on the weak teachers that think that it is a contract hour job

The average teacher's salary is $68,000 in Illinois.
Some of the highest salaries in Illinois come from
suburban high schools in various parts of the state.
High property taxes make it possible to have quality
teachers with a low turnover rate.

My daughter attended a suburban high school in
Illinois. Most of her teachers had a Masters degree
and about 4 of them had Ph.D's. She got an excellent
education and went on to college to get her Bachelors
and Masters degree.

I grew up in a single-income household (career public school teacher). This topic doesn't move me at all. I would over-generalize teacher pay on the low end of equitable.

I've always said we're paid fine but this is the first time I'm irritated by pay because our workloads continue to get added to for no added pay. Everybody is worn out and I see more and more coworkers saying eff it and leaving at contract time. I know my contact time with kids went from 290 minutes to 335 minutes. I also had to add a half of another building so I have another 125 kids to grade and teach. Pay stayed the same other than $100 to the base.

Adults keep being cut, we don't have subs so everybody is having to pick up someone else's classes or students to cover. Planning periods are starting to disappear because of constant coverage shortages. Having to constantly be "on" working with children, with more demands on us and behaviors continually being allowed to get worse, many are starting to not feel like giving their very best any longer. I'm seeing it. We also get tired of hearing people who make all their decisions about what we do according to the dollar and not children, telling us how much they appreciate us.

I remember getting blasted on this board a while back when I commented that a household income of about $140k was pretty much middle class and not really rich. Got all kinds of figures thrown at me and was told I was out of touch.

So using that standard, if two teachers in SoDak get married and their avg salaries are $60k each for a combined household income of $120k then they are rich and shouldn't complain about their pay anymore.

In Florida's defense, most of the public school attendees will be transacting in singles where there's a runway and a pole, they don't need much of an education for that

I remember getting blasted on this board a while back when I commented that a household income of about $140k was pretty much middle class and not really rich. Got all kinds of figures thrown at me and was told I was out of touch.

So using that standard, if two teachers in SoDak get married and their avg salaries are $60k each for a combined household income of $120k then they are rich and shouldn't complain about their pay anymore.
$120m is not rich. However complaining is for losers.

Reactions: Ol' Dirty Bastard
Bottom 10 in funding vs ranking of worst
Arizona 44
Florida 29
Mississippi 48
Arkansas 42
Virginia 14
Missouri 31
Lousiana 46
Tennessee 36
Texas 40
N Carolina 39

Course, you can shop around and find any number of sites who rank differently. Virginia seems to get a lot of bang for its buck. Also interesting how the least funded seem to have a political trend as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT