ADVERTISEMENT

Mitch McConnell Calls to Cut Social Security, Medicare

"It’s disappointing but it’s not a Republican problem," McConnell said of the deficit, which grew 17 percent to $779 billion in fiscal year 2018. McConnell explained to Bloomberg that "it’s a bipartisan problem: Unwillingness to address the real drivers of the debt by doing anything to adjust those programs to the demographics of America in the future." The deficit has increased 77 percent since McConnell became majority leader in 2015

Didn't Republicans used to control everything?

"It’s disappointing but it’s not a Republican problem," McConnell said of the deficit, which grew 17 percent to $779 billion in fiscal year 2018. McConnell explained to Bloomberg that "it’s a bipartisan problem: Unwillingness to address the real drivers of the debt by doing anything to adjust those programs to the demographics of America in the future." The deficit has increased 77 percent since McConnell became majority leader in 2015

Didn't Republicans used to control everything?

McConnell’s hypocrisy knows no bounds.

84313773_10158658044112908_1140215178869080064_o.png

Article is from 2018. No way will either party will mess with this. Other than the Leftards want single payer. Wanna see a market crash? Single payer ought to do it. Also a job killer to those in the insurance world. Many other cuts could be made. But we are taking in more money but a need to get a hold of spending is at hand.

Reactions: DogBoyRy
Good grief.

The age for drawing Social Security should certainly increase.

In 1935 when the Social Security law was passed, the average lifespan was only 58 for men and 62 for women.

Today those numbers are 20 years higher.

Reactions: hexumhawk
“When Republicans in Congress said their tax cuts to wealthy multinational corporations would pay for themselves, they lied,” wrote Ohio Congressman Tim Ryan on Twitter. “Now, they're going to try to come for hardworking people to foot the bill by slashing Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/poli...bU0D0MCqyg6E2ZNRGSGAVyVohwiuww2Kdxoyh6koS_dF8

He’s not wrong. What are the big hitters in the budget? Medicare/SS. Defense is big too but not that big.

That said, bad optics giving tax cuts to the wealthy and then say this.

Also, way to pull this article from the archives

And don't get me started on the scammers getting Social Security because they're "disabled".... THAT needs to be totally reformed.

Was about to finally agree with you on something, raising the social security age to preserve it for the next generation.

Then you go off on taking away social security for the disabled. Saving a few dollars a month on your SS payment to screw people with disabilities.

Why be so fuggin petty?

He’s not wrong. What are the big hitters in the budget? Medicare/SS. Defense is big too but not that big.

Income tax cuts don't have anything to do with the Social Security and Medicare payroll taxes.

We are headed for insolvency with these programs.

Something has to change to avoid going over the waterfall.

Was about to finally agree with you on something, raising the social security age to preserve it for the next generation.

Then you go off on taking away social security for the disabled. Saving a few dollars a month on your SS payment to screw people with disabilities.

Why be so fuggin petty?

He’s talking about fraud, which is a massive problem.

Income tax cuts don't have anything to do with the Social Security and Medicare payroll taxes.

I believe during Bush Senior’s admin they combined the budgets, so now it does matter.

Why be so fuggin petty?

I have TWO (count 'em) TWO members of my in-laws' family who are drawing SSD benefits. One is a drug addict and that's his "disability."

The other one is too "anxious" to work, which is bullshit. It's not about her "anxiety"... it's because she's too much of a flighty bitch to keep a job.

But if you get a lawyer and a shrink, you can suck at the SSD teet and not have to work.

This needs MAJOR reforms.

I have TWO (count 'em) TWO members of my in-laws' family who are drawing SSD benefits. One is a drug addict and that's his "disability."

The other one is too "anxious" to work, which is bullshit. It's not about her "anxiety"... it's because she's too much of a flighty bitch to keep a job.

But if you get a lawyer and a shrink, you can suck at the SSD teet and not have to work.

Oh, and neither one "paid into the system" like regular Social Security recipients did.

Why be so fuggin petty?

Pretty sure he’s talking about the ones gaming the system

Thanks for conveying your experience. I’ve had a different one. Legitimately disabled people where SSD is part of their lifeline. And some of them had to go through the courts to get their meager SS payment. They’re not all free loaders. Far from it.

Yes, indeedy rhe job markets are crying to hire 65 year olds and even older. And pensions! They're better than ever, just ask IPERS in Iowa!

Reactions: ghost80

Social Security Disability is notoriously difficult to qualify for. The definition of disability states that you cannot be able to do ANY job or else you can't receive it.

Not a chance in hell that the relative you made up to suit your fake story is receiving SSDI for anxiety.

Social Security Disability is notoriously difficult to qualify for. The definition of disability states that you cannot be able to do ANY job or else you can't receive it.

Not a chance in hell that the relative you made up to suit your fake story is receiving SSDI for anxiety.

Oh, okay... you're calling me a liar.

Good grief.

In 1935 when the Social Security law was passed, the average lifespan was only 58 for men and 62 for women.

And I don’t believe 58 year olds were collecting social security back then.

Good grief.

Living longer is not synonymous with being able to work longer. Especially for those who don't have cushy desk jobs.

When jobs are hard to find - something that will become more true as automation accelerates - why on Earth would we want old farts hogging the available positions?

Living longer is not synonymous with being able to work longer. Especially for those who don't have cushy desk jobs.

When jobs are hard to find - something that will become more true as automation accelerates - why on Earth would we want old farts hogging the available positions?

GettyImages-165275810-740x418.jpg

Isn’t interest on the debt as big as anything? The GOP has shown a real willingness to grow the debt the past couple of years....

Reactions: Tom Paris
The Boomers got theirs, didn’t do anything to fix the problem until they got theirs and now going to f- everyone else.

Boomers (most but not all) boarded the lifeboat and are trying to pull the ladder up behind them to make sure nobody else can survive. MAGA

I didn’t mean we should cut it. But to pay down the debt, what’s the answer?
Raise revenues.

I suggest reversing the last few tax cuts for the rich and imposing a temporary wealth tax.

Not saying that some cost cutting isn't possible, but that's not going to get the job done without cutting into muscle and bone.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT