ADVERTISEMENT

Mitchell and Canzeri Injuries?

Regarding NFL projections of Iowa O-linemen ....

The first quote here reflects MitchL's incredulity concerning the potential of Iowa's current OL.
One word... Wow!

The second quote here provides speculation supporting the original contention that Iowa's current OL is littered with potential NFLers.
I'll bite on the NFL talent question. Blythe will be a midround pick 2nd-4th round and will have a solid to good NFL career. Walsh will be an undrafted FA. Ike and Boone will be mid to late round picks 4th-7th round. Welsh will be a midround pick 3rd-5th round. Daniels will be a high to mid round 1st-3rd round pick. Croston will be an undrafted FA.

Here's my take, not intended to take anything away from prior posters who have commented along these lines.

RE: Blythe - Versatile interior O-lineman. If he was "only" a center - might not be quite as sought after. However, he is a multi-year starter with extensive experience playing BOTH guard and center. He is a leader, a hard worker, uses great technique, and is pretty athletic. He's even better than James Ferentz ... and James is still in the NFL. He also has a resume proving his more versatile too. This guy has been a starter since he was a RS FR ... and Ferentz will more than give him a glowing endorsement.

RE: Walsh - Blythe is playing at a really high level right now ... and Walsh might even be playing at a higher level. He's grading out really nicely and NFL talent evaluators right now are taking notice. He had flashed excellence in prior years - but consistency had always been a nagging concern. It's a concern no longer. Teams will view him probably higher than Seth Olsen and maybe similar to Adam Gettis.

RE: Croston - He's much like Tobin part deux.

RE: Myers - This is a guy who was tabbed early by the coaches as left-tackle material. Every guy who gets so tabbed at Iowa and remains healthy not only ends up getting a shot at the NFL ... they get drafted!

RE: Boettger - In a similar neighborhood as Tobin and Donnal. Don't know if or where he'll get drafted ... but he'll get a shot. Athletic big guy taught by one of the very bests in the biz. NFLers will give him a shot.

RE: Welsh - First started as a RS FR - that clearly demonstrates that he has legit talent. Furthermore, he's demonstrated versatility, having now played at both OG and RT. That means a lot to NFL personnel evaluators. Lastly, the guy is just plain nasty. I think of him as being somewhat akin to Yanda-lite and this comment is intended as a huge compliment. Yanda essentially is a automatic pro-bowler every year ... so it's too heady of a compliment to directly compare Welsh to Yanda.

RE: Daniels - Has already played LG, RG, and RT as a true freshman. He'll likely go on to be the very best center Iowa has had under Ferentz ... and that is saying something. Yes, this kid will eventually have a NFL future if he remains healthy.

Yeah ... I really don't think it's a stretch to think that the top 7 right now will each get their NFL shots. There's no telling if they will stick or last there ... but it's still an accomplishment to get the opportunity. Mind you ... I'm assuming that each guy will keep on working as they have.

Regarding NFL projections of Iowa O-linemen ....

The first quote here reflects MitchL's incredulity concerning the potential of Iowa's current OL.

The second quote here provides speculation supporting the original contention that Iowa's current OL is littered with potential NFLers.

Here's my take, not intended to take anything away from prior posters who have commented along these lines.

RE: Blythe - Versatile interior O-lineman. If he was "only" a center - might not be quite as sought after. However, he is a multi-year starter with extensive experience playing BOTH guard and center. He is a leader, a hard worker, uses great technique, and is pretty athletic. He's even better than James Ferentz ... and James is still in the NFL. He also has a resume proving his more versatile too. This guy has been a starter since he was a RS FR ... and Ferentz will more than give him a glowing endorsement.

RE: Walsh - Blythe is playing at a really high level right now ... and Walsh might even be playing at a higher level. He's grading out really nicely and NFL talent evaluators right now are taking notice. He had flashed excellence in prior years - but consistency had always been a nagging concern. It's a concern no longer. Teams will view him probably higher than Seth Olsen and maybe similar to Adam Gettis.

RE: Croston - He's much like Tobin part deux.

RE: Myers - This is a guy who was tabbed early by the coaches as left-tackle material. Every guy who gets so tabbed at Iowa and remains healthy not only ends up getting a shot at the NFL ... they get drafted!

RE: Boettger - In a similar neighborhood as Tobin and Donnal. Don't know if or where he'll get drafted ... but he'll get a shot. Athletic big guy taught by one of the very bests in the biz. NFLers will give him a shot.

RE: Welsh - First started as a RS FR - that clearly demonstrates that he has legit talent. Furthermore, he's demonstrated versatility, having now played at both OG and RT. That means a lot to NFL personnel evaluators. Lastly, the guy is just plain nasty. I think of him as being somewhat akin to Yanda-lite and this comment is intended as a huge compliment. Yanda essentially is a automatic pro-bowler every year ... so it's too heady of a compliment to directly compare Welsh to Yanda.

RE: Daniels - Has already played LG, RG, and RT as a true freshman. He'll likely go on to be the very best center Iowa has had under Ferentz ... and that is saying something. Yes, this kid will eventually have a NFL future if he remains healthy.

Yeah ... I really don't think it's a stretch to think that the top 7 right now will each get their NFL shots. There's no telling if they will stick or last there ... but it's still an accomplishment to get the opportunity. Mind you ... I'm assuming that each guy will keep on working as they have.

90.gif

Looks like a few folks on here don't like to hear any criticism about their Hawks! Differing opinions from fans seem to raise a few eyebrows.

I apologize if I am not as impressed about this O-Line as others. I was just basing my opinion on how crippled CJ looked by the end of yesterday's game. He's running, or at least hobbling, for his life. Anyone who thinks this is top level group of pass protectors on the current line is watching a different Iowa game than I am.

I know they'll get better as time goes on, but they are nowhere close to being as good as some on here think.

One more thing... Iowa's TEs are not catching as many passes as in years' past. Anyone have an idea why? It's because they are being forced to help the O-Line in pass protection. We'll see how the rest of the year plays out. It likely gets better, cause it can't get a whole lot worse.

But hey... Iowa is 7-0, so all's good!

As long as Wadley has no issues with fumbling, he is just as good, and certainly looks faster, than JC. Mitchell is a good power runner. Things aren't as bleak as I thought after Canzeri went down.

That said... this team is going to get smoked in the championship game if they get that far. Mabin is pretty weak and will get torched. Our line can't protect CJ regardless of who they trot out there. At this pace... CJ won't get thru the year. This is the worst O-line in recent memory.
Wrong! We just ran for 294 yards yesterday. This line is good and will continue to get better as people get healthy. If we should make it to the championship game, I think we make a good showing and would not be surprised if we pulled an upset. Go Hawks!

That link is from 2011. That field looked horrendous on Saturday, nothing like the one in the picture.

Yeah, 2011, probably hasn't been replaced since then either. That and with all the yardage Iowa and Michigan put on that field the last two games probably wore it out.
I use to be a fan of real grass in kinnick, but I am happy with the field turf and don't miss it at all.

Looks like a few folks on here don't like to hear any criticism about their Hawks! Differing opinions from fans seem to raise a few eyebrows.

I apologize if I am not as impressed about this O-Line as others. I was just basing my opinion on how crippled CJ looked by the end of yesterday's game. He's running, or at least hobbling, for his life. Anyone who thinks this is top level group of pass protectors on the current line is watching a different Iowa game than I am.

I know they'll get better as time goes on, but they are nowhere close to being as good as some on here think.

One more thing... Iowa's TEs are not catching as many passes as in years' past. Anyone have an idea why? It's because they are being forced to help the O-Line in pass protection. We'll see how the rest of the year plays out. It likely gets better, cause it can't get a whole lot worse.

But hey... Iowa is 7-0, so all's good!
Here are the primary pressures that Beathard experienced against Northwestern.

- Missed LB blitz pick-up (on Wadley)
- DE/DT twist game (on Croston and Daniels)
- DE pressure (on Croston)
- Missed inside LB blitz pick-up (on Mitchell - he went on the outside)
- Blitzing DB on edge (on Beathard - he got rid of the ball fast, but still got hit - he saw it but didn't want to change the protection)

So fewer than half the pressures were on the OL ... and that was against what was supposed to be one of the better defensive lines in the B1G. Hmmm ....

You're assessment regarding the NW game may be accurate. I'm expressing an opinion about the entire season to date. Big difference. But I'm sure you have a litany of excuses for every game so far.

I don't recall an Iowa qb getting pummeled like CJ has since the 4th quarter of the game @ Arizona a few years ago when Stanzi, I believe, took a beating.

CJ is also holding the ball too long a lot of the time leading to unnecessary hits.

Pass blocking is more of an art than run blocking. I think you are confusing talent and experience. Those 5 lineman had no experience playing in that combination, not to mention Iowa was down 3 RBs at one point Saturday.

Against a straight 4 man rush they blocked pretty well. It was the stunts and blitzes that gave them problems.

Yeah, 2011, probably hasn't been replaced since then either. That and with all the yardage Iowa and Michigan put on that field the last two games probably wore it out.
I use to be a fan of real grass in kinnick, but I am happy with the field turf and don't miss it at all.
Northwestern's game against Michigan game was in Ann Arbor, but point taken.

CJ is also holding the ball too long a lot of the time leading to unnecessary hits.

Pass blocking is more of an art than run blocking. I think you are confusing talent and experience. Those 5 lineman had no experience playing in that combination, not to mention Iowa was down 3 RBs at one point Saturday.

Against a straight 4 man rush they blocked pretty well. It was the stunts and blitzes that gave them problems.
They might want to fix that, very few teams line up and just rush 4.

Reactions: MitchL
They might want to fix that, very few teams line up and just rush 4.

Blythe has played a lot next to Walsh so those 2 are pretty comfortable defending that gap. Walsh has never played next to Welsh, Blythe has played very little with Daniels on his left side, and Croston and Daniels don't have much experience playing next to each other. Wadley and Mitchell have very little experience in pass block situations.

They will see it on film, be able to practice it for 2 weeks and should be much improved next time out.

Lets not forget that NWs defense has been very, very good this season. NWs D only gave up 24 points and 380 yards to Mich.

You're assessment regarding the NW game may be accurate. I'm expressing an opinion about the entire season to date. Big difference. But I'm sure you have a litany of excuses for every game so far.

I don't recall an Iowa qb getting pummeled like CJ has since the 4th quarter of the game @ Arizona a few years ago when Stanzi, I believe, took a beating.

I am always amused that when someone tries to explain 'football' to some of the pretenders on this site, they are accused of making excuses for the team. Mitchl obviously (like sooo many on this site) doesn't understand football or he wouldn't make the comments he does. Just go back to your video football and try to refrain from boring us with your nonsense.

I agree with you that the pass-pro needs improvement. However, that is not an indictment of the players. There personnel has been rotating quite a bit ... and pass-pro can be highly choreographed stuff. One misstep can throw things off. Guys react from what the other is doing ... if you throw a "new" guy somewhere, you're going to get a transient patch where the guys are learning to work with one another.

The pass-pro has been a little slower to come around because of both new starters AND injuries on the OL. However, I'm confident that the group will continue to improve in that area.

Also, as others have stated, Beathard does hang on the ball quite a while ... and that puts a lot of extra pressure on the OL. Of course, it also forces opposing Ds to worry about the vertical game more too.

The idea of holding onto the ball too long speaks to the lack of ability of the receivers to separate... no? CJ has done a remarkable job this year.

The theory that the line has been decimated by injuries then speaks to the lack of developing depth...no? Outside of Daniels... these guys have all been in the program for a minimum of two years. Most longer than that. The so-called experts on this forum said all summer long that this O-Line would struggle in pass protection. Prediction came true.

We have seen discussion on here about KF's ability to develop NFL talent. No one seems to dispute that. But with the exception of a few rare years, all that NFL talent has not translated to CONSISTENT winning results. Too many 7-5 type years. Why?

I'm as happy as the next guy about the 7-0 start. Hope that continues.

But for those of you that feel I'm unqualified to point out shortcomings, maybe I am. But the eye test tells me I'm not all that far off.

Sorry Mitch - yes, you are off.
Secondly, many posters on this thread have accurately explained the situation to you, but sadly you don't understand it.
Now, it is o.k. for you to express your humble opinion, but after repeating it 8 or 9 times, it gets old and tiresome.
You did give some kudos to the Hawks. Thx. Now enjoy the ride with the rest of us. Try to relax now, Captain Kirk and his fine staff see some areas that need improvement and our players respond positively. Isn't it great to be a Hawk!!!!

Listen... I understand all the bandwagoners being giddy and all. But for those fans that have watched football for some time... CJ has taken a season of hits in the first seven games and his condition has come from more than taking a few hits while scrambling.

I realize when the receivers take so long to get separation, the o-line has to protect longer. But those of you that can't comprehend the weakness of the Iowa pass protection are simply not watching the games. The Pitt game showed their vulnerability, but the Line is not picking up the stunts and switches with much success and Beathard is paying the price for that.

But hey... Iowa is 7-0, so the O-Line must be great. Good job Bryan!

Watch some of these games tonite and see what pass protection looks like. Night and day.

Looks like Mitch is a butthurt clone fan. Sorry I don't think anyone on the planet would say isu has even a poor OL. But keep up the good fight Mitch.

Looks like Mitch is a butthurt clone fan. Sorry I don't think anyone on the planet would say isu has even a poor OL. But keep up the good fight Mitch.
You calling me a Clone fan are fighting words! I know where you live.

This is an interesting debate that will only be proven over time. I think that the 7-0 has hidden some of the warts that the Hawks have the same as a 3-4 record would make things look worse than they actually are. Having only seen one game live this year(Illinois) the OL has some room to go in pass protection, it's a snap shot but there were some fundamental misses that one wouldn't expect to see from an entire group of future NFL linemen. Somewhere between the 'All NFL players' and the 'no NFL players' lies the truth, the issues I saw should be easily fixed example don't let someone cross your face for a free run at the QB, don't get called for holding and give up the hit on the QB, some footwork issues that I was surprised happened at this stage of the season. As far as developing a cohesive group that can handle stunts, twists, blitz etc. that kind of needs to happen yesterday, CJ has taken more hits than he needs to at this stage of the season, some his fault, some line issues. The group will continue to develop, 'all NFL players' not active roster, regular season guys but sniffs in camps for the greatest majority.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT