ADVERTISEMENT

MLB lost $3.1 billion this year.

The owners were never forced to pay high salaries, and they bargain with the union every few years.
The front office people losing their jobs aren’t all high dollar folks. No empathy for them?

Ask the players about empathy. If they took a pay cut they could help the “front office” people with their jobs. Do you agree?

Post here when you take a pay cut to help out the janitor.

I called my nurse and my scrub tech and told them I could pay two months of their salary if they got furloughed and unemployment didn't cover them. I don't even employ them. All three of us are hospital employees. Some people aren't total a-holes and value relationships with the people they work with.

The entertainment/leisure industries may be among the hardest hit. You don't have to see a game, go to a concert or eat out. Everyone forgets the beer vendors, the roadies, theater worker, cooks, waitresses, etc. but they all " trickle down " from those who people are will to pay to perform...

yep, there’s a hot dog vendor at wrigley, pretty sure I paid for his kids to go to college. Poor guy.

Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
People spend billions on big time college sports, pro sports, and major concerts.

a lot of money that benefits very few. Some coaches, players, and entertainers. It’s likely people found other avenues to spend their money that benefits more people.

I read fans in stands is 40% of NBA revenue. If that’s true it is likely 60% or more in NHL.

going to be some huge labor issues when getting these sports fired back up.

Post here when you take a pay cut to help out the janitor.

Then you're saying it rolls downhill. I agree.

I’m fine, more than fine, with the players taking their turn at tightening their belt. The janitor may actually be more employable than the majority of the athletes.

Reactions: GOHOX69
Ask the players about empathy. If they took a pay cut they could help the “front office” people with their jobs. Do you agree?
What about the billionaire owners? If they are earning the money to pay those exorbitant salaries to players, shouldn't they be the ones to step up first?

Reactions: lucas80
What about the billionaire owners? If they are earning the money to pay those exorbitant salaries to players, shouldn't they be the ones to step up first?

If Major League Baseball lost $3b the owners are being impacted.

The players have been as well since their salaries this year are prorated per the agreement signed prior to the season restarting.
But they didn’t take a hit because of no fans. Their only hit was games played.

owners took it in the shorts on number of games and no tickets, no concessions, and in some cases no parking revenue.

my guess is the owners are not doing that again.

owners took it in the shorts on number of games and no tickets, no concessions, and in some cases no parking revenue.

I would think that billionaire owners would be smart enough to take those things into consideration when they were negotiating with the MLBPA. If not, that's entirely on them.

Reactions: lucas80 and srams21
yep, there’s a hot dog vendor at wrigley, pretty sure I paid for his kids to go to college. Poor guy.
There is a beer vendor named Les, short with black hair and a mustache, who was working the upper deck the last few years that wears a Rolex and drives an Escalade thanks to me. He has been lugging beer around for 40 years at Wrigley.
I miss Les.

Last edited:
Reactions: dgordo and DFSNOLE

I suspect that negotiations for next season will be contentious...

This may be a bit inflated, but I expect a significant deflation of player salaries is looming. We have already seen thousands of layoffs across MLB front offices.
https://www.bleachernation.com/cubs/2020/10/26/mlb-reportedly-lost-3-1-billion-in-2020/
That number is probably right, just looked up avg attendance and ticket price. MLB was short roughly 100 games this year. Avg attendance in 2019 was 28,317 and avg ticket price was $33. That along is just shy of 3 billion. Then you add in vender sales, subtract expenses. Seems legit.

I would think that billionaire owners would be smart enough to take those things into consideration when they were negotiating with the MLBPA. If not, that's entirely on them.
It wouldn’t shock me if there is no baseball next year if they can’t have fans.

players union is strong in baseball and IMO the owners are correct this time. No fans should be less money for players.

Reactions: Rifler

players union is strong in baseball and IMO the owners are correct this time. No fans should be less money for players.
I think that will apply to more than just baseball.

I called my nurse and my scrub tech and told them I could pay two months of their salary if they got furloughed and unemployment didn't cover them. I don't even employ them. All three of us are hospital employees. Some people aren't total a-holes and value relationships with the people they work with.
I've used my past 5 years of raises to give it all to my techs. I haven't taken a nickel extra since 2014.

Reactions: Urohawk

Try explaining that to the women...

There will be fans in the stands next year. Even if it starts with 15-20 percent. The owners will find a way to work with cities, and the mayors know they need the revenue just as much as the owners do.
They will start small and depending on a vaccine ramp up attendance quickly.

Reactions: JJ13579
That number is probably right, just looked up avg attendance and ticket price. MLB was short roughly 100 games this year. Avg attendance in 2019 was 28,317 and avg ticket price was $33. That along is just shy of 3 billion. Then you add in vender sales, subtract expenses. Seems legit.
100 x 28,317 x 33 = $93.5M not $3B

its a big assumption that the pay cut would go to help the "front office" people

I don’t understand how baseball has not gone salary cap route yet. This may be the push it needs for it to happen.

Reactions: GOHOX69
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT