ADVERTISEMENT

Molly D (Doubtful she'll play) and other Albany 2 Regional Updates heading into the game vs Colorado

Syd is certainly the more capable overall player and can impact the game in more ways than Molly. She is deserving of her minutes and I assume she will continue to start even if Davis is healthy to play. However, their roles on this particular team -- playing alongside the best player in the country -- are very different. We have to remember that our offense runs through Clark and so the pieces around her on the court must be assembled in such a way that she is set up to succeed. Molly playing PG along Clark is part of that.

If Syd were on a different team / it was a different year, it's probably a different story. But when Molly is on the floor alongside Clark, Clark can move about more freely off the ball. That allows her to get into position for better shots. That's because a defender will always be on the ball -- no one is gonna leave Molly alone if she's bringing the ball down the court, especially since she's a great driver and capable shooter. Syd has proven herself as a capable ball handler (and so has Kate) but they simply haven't played PG for us like Molly (and she has played PG for 5 seasons now so she knows that role inside and out). Neither Kate nor Syd should be expected to all of a sudden become a backup PG in March when they've honed their own roles at the 3/4 and play them very well.

With Molly out, Clark is forced to handle the ball more and basically bring the ball down the court 99% of the time -- which has led to significantly more ball pressure on her. I say that certainly has been a contributing part of all of the frustration she feels being triple-teamed and hacked. Furthermore on a team that lives and dies by the 3, it's just good to have more options in case others are cold. And of course having Molly allows Clark to sit, even if just a few minutes. Playing 36 minutes vs 40 minutes can make a huge difference in a long, tight game, especially when there's a quick turnaround between games.

Even if she's not starting / not 100%, having Molly on the floor to either spell Clark, keep the defense honest on the perimeter, and/or open things up for Clark is a good thing. She also rarely makes mistakes / turns the ball over so she isn't really a net-negative in any glaring way (with the exception of her rebounding, perhaps -- but we have quite a few very good rebounders).

keys to victory other than scoring more points? ;)

last I heard Iowa was a 7.5 pt favorite, which was a bit surprising to me.

ESPN has Iowa as a 6.5 pt favorite with 157.5 pts (82-75 type game?).

Reactions: Torg
And Molly was noticeably limping near the bench during the WV game. She wasn't putting much weight on her injured leg. Unfortunately, I don't think she's anywhere close to being able to play tomorrow.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Syd is certainly the more capable overall player and can impact the game in more ways than Molly. She is deserving of her minutes and I assume she will continue to start even if Davis is healthy to play. However, their roles on this particular team -- playing alongside the best player in the country -- are very different. We have to remember that our offense runs through Clark and so the pieces around her on the court must be assembled in such a way that she is set up to succeed. Molly playing PG along Clark is part of that.

If Syd were on a different team / it was a different year, it's probably a different story. But when Molly is on the floor alongside Clark, Clark can move about more freely off the ball. That allows her to get into position for better shots. That's because a defender will always be on the ball -- no one is gonna leave Molly alone if she's bringing the ball down the court, especially since she's a great driver and capable shooter. Syd has proven herself as a capable ball handler (and so has Kate) but they simply haven't played PG for us like Molly (and she has played PG for 5 seasons now so she knows that role inside and out). Neither Kate nor Syd should be expected to all of a sudden become a backup PG in March when they've honed their own roles at the 3/4 and play them very well.

With Molly out, Clark is forced to handle the ball more and basically bring the ball down the court 99% of the time -- which has led to significantly more ball pressure on her. I say that certainly has been a contributing part of all of the frustration she feels being triple-teamed and hacked. Furthermore on a team that lives and dies by the 3, it's just good to have more options in case others are cold. And of course having Molly allows Clark to sit, even if just a few minutes. Playing 36 minutes vs 40 minutes can make a huge difference in a long, tight game, especially when there's a quick turnaround between games.

Even if she's not starting / not 100%, having Molly on the floor to either spell Clark, keep the defense honest on the perimeter, and/or open things up for Clark is a good thing. She also rarely makes mistakes / turns the ball over so she isn't really a net-negative in any glaring way (with the exception of her rebounding, perhaps -- but we have quite a few very good rebounders).
You said it way better than I could. A team is a sum of its parts. Taking away a part that seldom makes mistakes and makes the others better, does not make the team better. This takes nothing away from Syd who is a very positive contributor and also, like Molly, is just plain fun to watch. I hope not having Molly makes no difference, but I'm fearful we will all wonder how far we would have gone with her.

Dont get the infatuation with her game versus Affolter getting the time. Particularly at this juncture coming off injury and rusty.
She is probably the best ball handler on the team so if a team is really putting pressure on, like West Virginia was, it's nice to have another player who you know can handle it. But you are right, Affolter is an excellent player and does many things better than Davis does.

And Molly was noticeably limping near the bench during the WV game. She wasn't putting much weight on her injured leg. Unfortunately, I don't think she's anywhere close to being able to play tomorrow.

there was a video from yesterday where she was struggling a big going up the stairs to the plane

Some quotes on Caitlin Clark's fame from her teammates today.

Gabbie Marshall: "I like seeing her in the commercials. I like when she has her makeup all done and her hair all done. Sometimes it plays like 10 times in a row when you're watching a game, but I like seeing her."

Kate Martin: "Me and Caitlin are roommates and we were sitting in the hotel last night and the State Farm ad pops up and we just look at each other and started laughing. ... I just think it's really cool. I don't know, it just brings more awareness to women's basketball and it brings more awareness to not only her, but our entire team and Iowa, so I think it's awesome."

Chad brings up a great point.

Iowa has up to 4 games left (4 games would be played in 9 days):

Sat March 30:..vs Colorado
Mon April 1:......vs LSU or UCLA
Fri April 5:.........Final Four Games
Sun April 7:.......National Championship Game

This is a great post. Not having another reliable person to bring the ball up the court and run point really has allowed other teams to smother Caitlin. It would have been like if Jordan never had a point guard and had to make everything happen on his own, or pippen. Allowing her to flow freely on the floor and not let the other team collapse on/clog her up is huge. Seems like since Molly has been hurt this only doesn’t happen unless at least one other person is hot from behind the arc. When Molly is available and someone else is hot, Caitlin is unstoppable.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT