ADVERTISEMENT

Molly Davis

Molly has now been out over 3 weeks. Sydney has done great, but do we have a update on if Molly can get some minutes off the bench Friday?
The team is in sync. Why mess with that? She will be rusty. This is the Final 4 and they got there without her. Now is not the time to get sentimental unless something is obviously not working. 15 pt lead then maybe for a few short stretches if available

More importantly, I don’t think she was ever going to be able to play. They were being hopeful.

Rarely does something that looked as bad as that did turn out to be “not a big deal…

I’ve really never expected her to be back. I get the chemistry thing and we have played well, but high-level depth is a precious thing. I just don’t believe she ever was going to be available….🤷‍♂️

If she COULD play, having another skilled, veteran ball handler in case of foul trouble, fatigue, illness, etc. with one or more of the current rotation could be very important. I don't know much about UConn, but they may have more depth and better conditioning than LSU.
Better conditioning? Probably. More depth? No. Our key is to attack their lack of depth which I'm certain we will.

There's no way having Molly Davis available is a bad thing. She didn't forget how to play basketball. If she's physically able, there's no reason not to use her for spot duty to change things up and take some pressure off CC. I sincerely hope that, one way or another, Molly D plays both Friday night and Sunday afternoon and can fully celebrate a national title with her teammates.

Coach Bluder in a recent press conference said that she is hoping that Molly can play since she is a senior and that she would like her to be able to play in the tourney. If I had to guess those minutes would be limited.

Even if she can play, I would be surprised if it would be at a high level. Physically the knee could be fine but mentally, would she have the confidence in it to play the way she normally does.

If she COULD play, having another skilled, veteran ball handler in case of foul trouble, fatigue, illness, etc. with one or more of the current rotation could be very important. I don't know much about UConn, but they may have more depth and better conditioning than LSU.
The trouble with LSU’s press at the end of the game would have been helped by Molly

You may have heard I love me some Molly D, but I’m guessing she done. Love to be wrong as pointed out above; another ball handler is never a bad thing even if we only got a handful of minutes from her. But from my understanding kneecaps can be pesky injuries that take a very long time to normalize. Of course everyone and every injury is different.
As many have said, you’re dead inside if you don’t feel horrible for the kid to have it end that way

They don't have better depth. Probably even a little worse, though LSU has a short bench too. They are likely better conditioned.

Against USC...
Uconn played 7.
3 starters the entire game.
2 off the bench, 19 and 14 minutes.

Against Duke...
Uconn played 6.
3 starters the entire game.
1 off the bench for 13 minutes.

Against Syracuse
Uconn played 6.
Minutes 40, 40, 39, 34, 30 and 17.

Reactions: shikreto
They have major depth issues as well, and only play 6 or 7 players

If Molly cannot play, I hope she suits up. If the game is out of hand, put her in to inbound the ball. Let her say she played in the final four. That's Iowa classy.

Reactions: Hendy hawk
It sucks because Molly is fun to watch, but i don’t think we want to take any of Syd’s minutes away. She is a beast and needs to play as much as her conditioning allows. At this point, if Molly is even available, she should take Kylie’s minutes and everything else should stay the same. We’re a pretty tough team right now. Run and gun and wear em down.

If we see her I think it will be end of game scenarios where it is out of reach one way or another. Feel bad for the young lady.
I think the bigger question for Molly D is playing defense on that knee rather than offense. On defense you have to make all those reactionary cuts.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT