ADVERTISEMENT

Moral Dilemma

I guess I've just never cared much for the "behind the scenes" motivations of people and companies (within reason...I'm not going to watch Cosby's next stand-up). If X company creates a service that is beneficial to me, I'm going to use it. If so and so makes a good movie, I'm going to see it. Maybe I'm wrong in that approach, I don't know. For now, though the VidAngel app is a great tool for my family's viewing needs. And if Tom Cruise (a Scientologist) and Seth McFarlane (an Atheist) makes a good flick, I'm going to pay to see it even though we have drastically different views.

I don't think you're wrong, but I do tend to care more than you it seems. Interestingly, I'm probably less worried about the content my kids see than what you might be, when it comes to moves and television available on streaming services. Tom Cruise is a good example. I respect his right and ability to hold whatever religious beliefs he'd like, but his association with Scientology and their victimizing ways absolutely does color my opinion on him to the point that I just don't see what the fuss is all about.

Before anyone wants to run to the extreme I do not allow them to view whatever they come across, I just don't use a service to edit stuff to make it more child friendly.

Reactions: alaskanseminole
Before anyone wants to run to the extreme I do not allow them to view whatever they come across, I just don't use a service to edit stuff to make it more child friendly.
Well, it was the only way I could get my 5-year-old through GoT.

Station 19 Oops GIF by ABC Network

Were you upset about all the lies in the movie Rudy? :cool:

Rudy was kind of annoying and a dummy. The movie even makes it kind of seem that way.

This guy was lionized as some sort of vigilante when he was literally the opposite of what he was claiming to fight.

Yeah, let's compare the two.

And yeah, I don't enjoy Rudy as much as I used to partly due to his behavior after the movie.

Rudy was kind of annoying and a dummy. The movie even makes it kind of seem that way.
agreed
This guy was lionized as some sort of vigilante when he was literally the opposite of what he was claiming to fight.

And yeah, I don't enjoy Rudy as much as I used to partly due to his behavior after the movie.
It was a "movie" not a documentary. You can actually enjoy the flick AND think the guy in RL is a douche nozzle.

Also damaging is I believe the real heros out there in law enforcement who are fighting sex trafficking I believe are made out to be useless and uncaring. I remember reading that the premise of the movie was that the guy quit his law enforcement job because they weren't doing shit.

Certainly seemed to play into the QAnon playbook.

Every studio has made a movie that greatly misrepresents actual facts.

Watch the movie.

Speaking of overthinking it...You could wait and watch it from a service that licenses it so you don't give any more money to the studio than they've already gotten. E.g. your local library.

Every studio has made a movie that greatly misrepresents actual facts.

Watch the movie.

Speaking of overthinking it...You could wait and watch it from a service that licenses it so you don't give any more money to the studio than they've already gotten. E.g. your local library.

I might end up doing that anyways or watching it from a streaming service.

Reactions: thewop
Also damaging is I believe the real heros out there in law enforcement who are fighting sex trafficking I believe are made out to be useless and uncaring. I remember reading that the premise of the movie was that the guy quit his law enforcement job because they weren't doing shit.

Certainly seemed to play into the QAnon playbook.
You should just watch the movie and decide for yourself. Otherwise you're just a pawn in the discussion.

Is this some kind of virtue signalling to pander for your friends to the left? Come on bro.

You claim to be a man of principles, and I believe you are (although I see you've changed your signature). Do you really believe that this would be the first time you've seen a film whose producers or stakeholders have ethics or morals that don't align with yours? Have you like...ever seen a movie before?

If you've had, you've almost guaranteed put money into the pocket of SOMEBODY whose morals or actions you'd find repugnant.

Don't clutch your pearls about trying to save the world from Angel Studios lol.

Reactions: alaskanseminole
Is this some kind of virtue signalling to pander for your friends to the left? Come on bro.

You claim to be a man of principles, and I believe you are (although I see you've changed your signature). Do you really believe that this would be the first time you've seen a film whose producers or stakeholders have ethics or morals that don't align with yours? Have you like...ever seen a movie before?

If you've had, you've almost guaranteed put money into the pocket of SOMEBODY whose morals or actions you'd find repugnant.

Don't clutch your pearls about trying to save the world from Angel Studios lol.

I really feel like what they did with Sound of Freedom was disgusting though and that's about their only major film and they still stand behind it. They have a few other minor films that didn't make a lot but I didn't find anything notable about them.

I really feel like what they did with Sound of Freedom was disgusting though and that's about their only major film and they still stand behind it. They have a few other minor films that didn't make a lot but I didn't find anything notable about them.
Again, if you remove all the noise and just watched it as a fictional movie, you'd likely enjoy it. It's a good little action flick that makes you pull for both the protagonist and the victims portrayed in the film. It's no different than films like Taken, Proof of Life, Man on Fire, etc., You really are over-thinking the hell out of this. (IMO)

I was not as upset about the artistic license taken in portraying the main character as a superhero doing LE job in the trafficking underworld as much as the director and star spouting off about liberal democrat blood cult adenochrome bullshit which was entirely QAnon fiction.

Again, if you remove all the noise and just watched it as a fictional movie, you'd likely enjoy it. It's a good little action flick that makes you pull for both the protagonist and the victims portrayed in the film. It's no different than films like Taken, Proof of Life, Man on Fire, etc., You really are over-thinking the hell out of this. (IMO)
Here’s the problem. They attached fighting child trafficking with seeing the movie. The studio and backers made a mint off of that. The only evidence Was one persons word.
They didn’t market it as a simple action movie, but a call to action. If the producers of Sleepers had done the same I’d be equally as ticked off.

Reactions: Hoosierhawkeye

I can't separate the protagonist in that movie from his real life though. The guy is basically a Harvey Weinstein character and I'm sorry I don't want to be emotionally manipulated by a movie into pulling for him. No, I'll never watch it.

There's a million things to watch. I'll never get to them all. I don't need to spend my time with that one.

I was not as upset about the artistic license taken in portraying the main character as a superhero doing LE job in the trafficking underworld as much as the director and star spouting off about liberal democrat blood cult adenochrome bullshit which was entirely QAnon fiction.
And that’s what separates this from typical artistic license. This company seems to possibly be actively supporting QANON. And they played the “pay it forward” game to inflate tickets sales without actually putting butts in seats.

Reactions: Obviously Oblivious
I would like to know more about why OP is really bitching. I have misgivings about Sound of Freedo. Sight was pretty good.

Has the OP rread Cost of Discipleship? Is it the message you disagree with? AS is about the best Christian the movie producer in quality. There were involved in Chosen and those are good. Im wondering what your real complaint is. You cant take the Gospel message out of Bonhoffer. That is the story.

Btw child trafficking was and is alive in Iowa.

At least no one in the movie takes a train to England. Band of Brothers has so many things wrong and watching it puts money in the hands of false narratives on reputations. Sobel was that bad. Dike was not a coward for starters. Easy Co nor the 506 hand the last say in Foy. Easy didnt do much at all in Bastogne. Of 30 plus rifle companies in the 101, Easy was last in total enemy contact. Lt Speirs was glorified and he was a psychopath

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT