ADVERTISEMENT

More sickening numbers

Unfortunately our new offensive coordinator will still be working with Barnett as the OLine coach and Copeland as the WR coach. Neither of these guys has done squat, but Kirk is very unlikely to get rid of them. The OLine and WR rooms have underperformed for a number of years, and we need to upgrade this area...especially the OLine.

KF is running this program into the ground. Everyone in the "yeah but 10 wins!" club will have their eyes opened next season when we don't benefit from playing in the worst division in college football.
Jesus take a break. I’m about as critical as anyone but take a step back a few tweaks are we are a consistent 10 win team. Ball/clock control but a whole new offensive system

"But we won 10 games. Not sure if you knew that". - KF
I know your quote is intended as tongue-in-cheek, but the truth is the best athletes and coaches aren't satisfied unless they win the championship. To the people who are satisfied with regular season wins:

Think Jim Kelly, Michael Jordan, John Elway, John Wooden, Dan Marino, and top-tier sports figures like them were satisfied with the season if all they had to show for it was an above-average regular season?

Only losers feel proud about beating up teams that are even shittier than their own. Great. I'm glad some fans and the clown in charge are happy that they won 10 regular season games. It's better than winning less games, no one will argue with that. But the MAJOR thing those idiots are incapable of comprehending is that the regular season means NOTHING unless you follow it up with a championship. 25 ****ing years and he has zero unshared conference championships.

Kirk could not have done what Hayden Fry did. Hayden Fry was great. Ferentz is extremely fortunate that his predecessor turned Iowa into a brand name. He's merely a benefactor of previous success and being in the worst division in college football. Sure, Hayden couldn't do it anymore toward the end, but he was fighting cancer for God sakes. Without Iowa already having become a brand name, Ferentz would not have had the success he's enjoyed.

I hope the reason those people who beat their chests and proudly proclaim "WINNERS OF 10 GAMES!!!" are so proud of regular season accomplishments is because that's really all we have, sadly. But if they honestly think 10 wins during the regular season with nothing to show for it is truly so badass, regardless of how bad the competition was, then that is even sadder.

In the end 10-4 are the only numbers that matter. Again, very, very simple
Actually that’s not all that matters. If this team continues to royally suck on offense, do you think the NIL donations will be at the same level if they had a good offense? I don’t. Do you think they will be able to recruit good offensive players? I don’t think so. Will it also start to hurt the recruiting of defensive players? Of course, it will.

Actually that’s not all that matters. If this team continues to royally suck on offense, do you think the NIL donations will be at the same level if they had a good offense? I don’t. Do you think they will be able to recruit good offensive players? I don’t think so. Will it also start to hurt the recruiting of defensive players? Of course, it will.
All a team can do is its best to win games

Last edited:
Unfortunately our new offensive coordinator will still be working with Barnett as the OLine coach and Copeland as the WR coach. Neither of these guys has done squat, but Kirk is very unlikely to get rid of them. The OLine and WR rooms have underperformed for a number of years, and we need to upgrade this area...especially the OLine.
This 100%. The new OC must be able to hire his own OL, WR and TE coaches but I don't think Kirk lets the others go despite the terrible performance, So the new OC is hamstrung out of the gate.

KF is becoming Joe Paterno....wanting to stick to something that worked okay is the past but the game has evolved. Joe woke up sort of at 78 and turned over the offense to a OC. I personally don't think KF is ready to give up control of the offense, so it will continue to be similar.
I was thinking of the Joe Pa (pre scandal) compare of late as well - I remember he was just a figurehead near the end and many, many fans wanted him to retire because he was borderline senile.... :cool: The Capt' will probably never reach that extreme point, but his concept of modern day college football is definitely lacking....

In the end 10-4 are the only numbers that matter. Again, very, very simple
Your post, decoded: The regular season is all that matters.

Today's lesson: Conference championships matter. The regular season exists to get there. This is fundamental, and will be on the test.

I was thinking of the Joe Pa (pre scandal) compare of late as well - I remember he was just a figurehead near the end and many, many fans wanted him to retire because he was borderline senile.... :cool: The Capt' will probably never reach that extreme point, but his concept of modern day college football is definitely lacking....
Wait, I thought KF has been senile for years according to fans.

KF's concept of football, no matter what era, has been good enough to win more than his fair share of games.

And modern day college football kinda sucks if you ask me

Wrong. To decode would leave you with:
10-4 is a lot more important than the offensive stats people keep quoting
You probably haven't heard of the "Conference Championship". Without it, above-average regular seasons are meaningless. Without moral victories to make you feel good, your life would be empty.

You probably haven't heard of the "Conference Championship". Without it, above-average regular seasons are meaningless. Without moral victories to make you feel good, your life would be empty.
Having better offense doesn't guarantee a conference championship either.

You can keep turning this into something else but the offensive stats that people are so hung up on are not as important as a team's record. Otherwise Iowa would be at the bottom of the standings, which clearly isn't the case

This 100%. The new OC must be able to hire his own OL, WR and TE coaches but I don't think Kirk lets the others go despite the terrible performance, So the new OC is hamstrung out of the gate.
I agree that what's equally as important as who the new OC is, is if he's allowed to get rid of Barnett and Copeland and replace them with his own competent team. If he is, I think that would actually be a good indication that the OC is actually going to be in control of the offense and maybe, just maybe, it won't continue to be a train-wreck.

Having better offense doesn't guarantee a conference championship either.

You can keep turning this into something else but the offensive stats that people are so hung up on are not as important as a team's record. Otherwise Iowa would be at the bottom of the standings, which clearly isn't the case
You two remind me of my wife and her sister, who often get into arguments, but usually aren't arguing about the same thing.

I don't think anyone disagrees that 10 wins is a good college football season, no matter how you slice it, and many teams would love to have 10 wins.

I also don't think anyone disagrees that our offense has been an unmitigated disaster for 3 years now.

I think the main question is, with the expanded CFP and the regular season meaning less and less, what does Iowa have to do to make sure they stay relevant? While KF has proven that he can win 10 games a year with complete absence of offense, I think his record against ranked teams the past 7 attempts, which includes an obscene point differential, is a clear indication that he cannot get to the next level (Big Ten titles, CFP appearances) maintaining the status quo (which includes an elite defense, which certainly isn't guaranteed). While I would be surprised but not shocked if KF pulls out another 10 win season in his tenure, I see absolutely no Big Ten championship or CFP appearance unless he does a major overhaul of the offense, while maintaining at least a super-solid defense.

Reactions: CaboKP
Wrong. To decode would leave you with:
10-4 is a lot more important than the offensive stats people keep quoting
What I and most fans will remember is the 10 were barely eeked out against mostly sub .500 teams and we were not even competing against 3 of the 4 because the offense was garbage. Live in reality.

Recruits have and will remember those stats when it comes to signing day. That's the real damage.

Exactly. This conversation usually devolves into: EITHER you support KF and appreciate the W/L record OR you don't appreciate him and want him gone.

What's so crazy about this stretch is that he does do so many things well in running a program. The fact he can win with an offense like this is remarkable. Truly.

What's so frustrating for me isn't that I prefer to be Nebraska... it isn't that I'd rather be 3-9, it's that we had such a huge opportunity to be elite, in my opinion. If you keep all of the wonderful things Kirk does and just produce a middle of the road offense, we obviously would still have beaten the bad teams but in more dominant fashion, and then had a fighting chance against any top team too. That would be fun.

I have no idea why the conversation is framed that we either get a great D and punter, or we get a decent offense and lose way more games. That's ridiculous. It's not crazy to want everything to stay exactly the same... but be pretty good on offense too. That's not too much to ask.

KF has enormous knowledge and experience and connections. I can't explain why he's dug in to a thing that doesnt appear to work and seems unable to accomplish building a good offense. We have in the past. I hope the new OC accomplishes it with KF.

I don't want to lose all the amazing things that define Iowa football and the Iowa way that Kirk has played a huge role in establishing... I just want a better offense. I refuse to believe that having a historically bad O must be part of the Iowa way. Pray for a fresh perspective and fresh start with a fresh OC soon...

Reactions: ichawk24
It's not all doom & gloom.

415963898_752560360080390_1787920323806785885_n.jpg

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: MeetTheFerentzes
All a team can do is its best to win games
Getting a new OC is a start. That being said, the new OC needs to be in command of the offense in many different ways such as a strong philosophy in moving the chains as well as being able to adjust to what the defense is doing. Also, he has to be able to coach his fellow offensive coaches to what he wants and is trying to achieve. Basically, the new OC needs to establish an identity for the offense which has been sorely missing these past years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT