ADVERTISEMENT

Morrow to visit Transfer U this wkend (would sit 1 year, eligible for 2 more yrs)

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
Crazy, but Iowa State still has three open scholarships remaining for the 2017-18 season. Gotta feel bad for ISU now and for their future! ;)

From Hawk Central:

Iowa State’s busy recruiting period continues with another visit this weekend. Nebraska transfer Ed Morrow will be on campus. He is a sit-one, play-two transfer, and he averaged 9.4 points on 51.4 percent shooting and 7.5 rebounds per game in the 2016-17 season.

The Cyclones have been hit-and-miss with transfers during the regular signing period. The lone acquisition so far has been Virginia’s Marial Shayok, who will sit next season and play his final year of eligibility in 2018-19.

In addition to Morrow, the Cyclones are also pursuing Shakur Juiston, a power-forward junior-college transfer from Hutchinson C.C. Juiston, the NJCAA Player of the Year, stands 6-foot-7 and would provide immediate scoring for the Cyclones. He’s visited Iowa State, DePaul and UNLV, and also holds offers from Illinois, Kansas, Oklahoma and Rhode Island.

http://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sp...-evaluation-period-kind-iowa-preps/306744001/

Crazy, but Iowa State still has three open scholarships remaining for the 2017-18 season. Gotta feel bad for ISU now and for their future! ;)

From Hawk Central:

Iowa State’s busy recruiting period continues with another visit this weekend. Nebraska transfer Ed Morrow will be on campus. He is a sit-one, play-two transfer, and he averaged 9.4 points on 51.4 percent shooting and 7.5 rebounds per game in the 2016-17 season.

The Cyclones have been hit-and-miss with transfers during the regular signing period. The lone acquisition so far has been Virginia’s Marial Shayok, who will sit next season and play his final year of eligibility in 2018-19.

In addition to Morrow, the Cyclones are also pursuing Shakur Juiston, a power-forward junior-college transfer from Hutchinson C.C. Juiston, the NJCAA Player of the Year, stands 6-foot-7 and would provide immediate scoring for the Cyclones. He’s visited Iowa State, DePaul and UNLV, and also holds offers from Illinois, Kansas, Oklahoma and Rhode Island.

http://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sp...-evaluation-period-kind-iowa-preps/306744001/

From Hawk Central:

Juiston committed to UNLV.

Reactions: hawk-i bob
This is going to bite them in the butt at some point if it has not already, if I were a high school I would think more than twice before choosing a school who is going to take so many transfers, especially some with a questionable past

If Morrow could stay healthy he would be a good addition. Aren't a lot of teams transfer U now?

This is going to bite them in the butt at some point if it has not already, if I were a high school I would think more than twice before choosing a school who is going to take so many transfers, especially some with a questionable past

It will bite them in the butt as much as it will bit all the teams accross the country taking transfers. It isn't some out of the ordinary thing. And I am not aware of any recent transfers with questionable past.

If I recall correctly, BDJ had some character questions prior to arriving. Although my memory may be tainted by his stint at ISU and the eventual result.

Gotta love CyTwins and others on CF justifying missing out on all these transfers. They have 2 kids, one who had an offer only from Liberty. And another leaving UTSA without an offer. Get Morrow awesome. Wow. Yikes and Woof to use CyTwins only vocabulary.

It will bite them in the butt as much as it will bit all the teams accross the country taking transfers. It isn't some out of the ordinary thing. And I am not aware of any recent transfers with questionable past.
I will concede that in recent years that has not been the case. However, ISU is not on par with the rest of the country taking transfers.....they certainly have to be near the top across the country at taking transfers. None the less, I don't really care because ISU is pretty much non existent anywhere outside of western Iowa.....

Reactions: RocknRollface
Gotta love CyTwins and others on CF justifying missing out on all these transfers. They have 2 kids, one who had an offer only from Liberty. And another leaving UTSA without an offer. Get Morrow awesome. Wow. Yikes and Woof to use CyTwins only vocabulary.
I am not a fan of the "star" rating system, but for those who care, ISU has a 5-star guard and a 4-star forward coming in this year -- ranked in the top 40 and top 60 nationally, respecitvelly -- as well as a 3-star guard. In addition, there's a pretty highly regarded 6-9 kid who will be a redshirt freshman. So the class doesn't look all that bad.

From Hawk Central:

With morrow I've read Xavier strong contender with coach Mack visiting with him right after he announced he was leaving with Marquette being another one. Ironically with transfers in Big 12 Kansas has killed it lately. Have a former top 10-20 player Malik Newman eligible next season from Miss St. took Lawson brothers from Memphis who were top 2 leading scorers few weeks ago and last week got Chicago kid Charlie Moore from Cal who Iowa went at coming out of HS.

Transfers are part of the game now, I wish Iowa could get in on some of it

Iowa's roster has no room. Kinda hard to sell a transfer on that.

Yep...and not having a lot of transfers vs having a lot is a good thing. See Hawks under Lick, see current NE under Miles.

Fran has the program in a really good spot and we are in for a hell of a 6-7 year run.

With morrow I've read Xavier strong contender with coach Mack visiting with him right after he announced he was leaving with Marquette being another one. Ironically with transfers in Big 12 Kansas has killed it lately. Have a former top 10-20 player Malik Newman eligible next season from Miss St. took Lawson brothers from Memphis who were top 2 leading scorers few weeks ago and last week got Chicago kid Charlie Moore from Cal who Iowa went at coming out of HS.

They also have Sam Cunliffe who will be eligible at semester. They've taken 4 transfers just since January.

It is ridiculous to reject out of hand the idea of taking transfers.
Iowa has been the beneficiary of a very good one not that long ago.
Ultimately the goal is to win games. Finish high in the conference. Get to the sweet 16(and beyond) in the NCAA tourney.
Transfers can absolutely be a part of that. However many that come in to get to the above goals is the number that I'd be just fine with.

I think nobody leaving Iowa this season is a great thing. We all can see the playing time, but what we don't get to see first hand is the overall experience, chemistry among teammates, fondness for the various aspects of Iowa City, etc.. So I am happy about that.

The transfer market seems ideal when you have surprise departures. I would guess the next two years we will have a couple decide to try it somewhere else which is OK too. If/when that happens I think Fran will embrace the chance to pick up and experienced transfer. One benefit is that if they transfer once, they probably won't transfer again (Trey D. notwithstanding) and they will be a likely 20-23 year old when they play verses bringing in a younger fallback recruit.

Transfer recruiting has simply become a major part of college basketball now. Kentucky is recruiting Cam Johnson, KU has several transfers, Oregon and Gonzaga, two final four teams have done really well with transfers. I think the Big Ten is one conference that hasn't had teams take advantage of the transfer market but that appears to be changing. Michigan, Wisconsin and other schools are also now pursuing transfers. If you get a guy that has been productive at t he Power 5 level it is better than taking a low ranked Freshman who you don't know if they will develop and how long it will take to develop.

Prohm's decision to go for more conventional lineups is interesting. Not necessarily a bad thing, but interesting.

They also have Sam Cunliffe who will be eligible at semester. They've taken 4 transfers just since January.

Yeah I'm not sure if it is because Self has missed out on some top guys or what or that he knows he has a proven commodity and getting the elite transfers but seems like last few years KU has gotten lot more involved. I think with Charlie Moore he missed out on a top 10 recruit pg form Oklahoma who picked OU and with graham staying for senior year helps him bridge the gap and not rely on true fresh the year after.

As for morrow be very curious to see where he lands. Remember he played with Moss and Dwayne Bacon from FSU at Simeon in Chicago. Talk about a loaded HS team.

Holy Smokes- everyone on CF talked about all these awesome transfers. Jeepers CyTwins and a couple others on the circle jerk ripping that we were getting 4 star high school kids and now they can't get a transfer?! Hysterical now the "big names" they are currently looking at were earlier ripped on CF. But they whiffed on 5 in a row. What a pathetic fanbase. Maybe they should stop ripping the potential transfers as not worthy enough but now begging those same kids and wonder why they give the Clowns the middle finger!

Reactions: ZumaHawk
Holy Smokes- everyone on CF talked about all these awesome transfers. Jeepers CyTwins and a couple others on the circle jerk ripping that we were getting 4 star high school kids and now they can't get a transfer?! Hysterical now the "big names" they are currently looking at were earlier ripped on CF. But they whiffed on 5 in a row. What a pathetic fanbase. Maybe they should stop ripping the potential transfers as not worthy enough but now begging those same kids and wonder why they give the Clowns the middle finger!

Minus kid from Virginia who sits for a year then has one year left they haven't really landed anyone else. If they miss on Morrow that'd be another one of their top transfer targets they missed on. I've read where some 6'6" guy from UTSA practically begging them for an offer but has only mid major offers. Though sounds like clones will eventually offer.

Obsessed much?

Reactions: mrcyfan
It is ridiculous to reject out of hand the idea of taking transfers.
Iowa has been the beneficiary of a very good one not that long ago.
Ultimately the goal is to win games. Finish high in the conference. Get to the sweet 16(and beyond) in the NCAA tourney.
Transfers can absolutely be a part of that. However many that come in to get to the above goals is the number that I'd be just fine with.
I'd agree that its another avenue to gain talented players. Fran has taken in transfers with varying degrees of success. As someone pointed out,at the current juncture we have no room to take on a transfer, unless Fran runs someone, and I don't see him doing that. Iowa had some success bringing in some outstanding Juco talent over the years, Reggie Evans, Fred Brown are great examples. It seems now though, that a lot of these guys, are just leaving for greener pastures, because they won't commit to giving a program 100% and earning that playing time. Guys like Mr. Dickerson come to mind. Its certainly a mixed bag, so Buyer Beware!

Everyone wondered how Fred got all those transfers. Heard a few coaches ask what the heck is going on over in Ames. Well it seems clear to me that Prom does not have the same things to offer these kids as did Hoyburger. (For whatever reason)

Just a different environment. When ISU recruited all of the guys early in Fred's career ISU was basically the only visit they took and they don't have near the offers they do now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT