ADVERTISEMENT

Motorcyclist killed in Cedar Rapids crash with deer, unidentified vehicle

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
2:30 AM not a good time to be riding a motorcycle on 380

Police are investigating a Sunday morning crash that killed a motorcyclist — 28-year-old Felicia Tharp, of Coralville — authorities said.

Cedar Rapids police were called at 2:30 a.m. to the Wright Brothers Boulevard exit on southbound Interstate 380 for a report of a fatal motorcycle crash. Officers found evidence that Tharp’s motorcycle had collided with a deer and then been hit by another vehicle, which police have not yet identified, according to a news release.

The crash remains under investigation as police seek to locate and identify the driver of the other vehicle. Anyone with information was asked to call the Cedar Rapids Police Department at (319) 286-5491.

• Sad
Reactions: TJ8869
giphy.gif

Yeesh, that's terrible.

I know hindsight is 20/20 but probably not the best idea to own a motorcycle if you're a single parent with 4 kids that depend on you.
Not to mention driving 380 at 2:30 AM. I retired my motorcycle about 10 years ago. Never had a close call. Never rode past 6:30 at night either. Dogs coming out from farm houses were the biggest threat...

Not to mention driving 380 at 2:30 AM. I retired my motorcycle about 10 years ago. Never had a close call. Never rode past 6:30 at night either. Dogs coming out from farm houses were the biggest threat...
Yep, agreed. My dad has always been a big motorcycle guy but he sold his bike before I was born, and then didn't get another one until my younger sister (no pics) was in college.

I'll bet. I 380 is nothing but deer grease spots from Ainsworth to to the CR city limits. I totaled my truck 2 years ago on 151 near Monticello by a suicidal buck...
They make no damn sense. If a deer hears a twig snap 300 yards away it runs full speed in the opposite direction. But a 4000 pound vehicle comes barreling toward them at 75mph and they take it as some sort of challenge.

Reactions: EagleHawk
They make no damn sense. If a deer hears a twig snap 300 yards away it runs full speed in the opposite direction. But a 4000 pound vehicle comes barreling toward them at 75mph and they take it as some sort of challenge.

giphy.gif

Several years ago my buddy was stationed in Texas and it was late at night. He hit an armadillo on his bike at 80 mph. Said he knew he was a gonner as soon as he hit the thing. By some miracle he popped straight up in the air, landed on both tires and continued at 80 mph down the highway. Says he had no idea how it happened, but he was thankful it did and retired his bike soon after.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT