ADVERTISEMENT

Mountain Vacation Ideas

alaskanseminole

HB Legend
Oct 20, 2002
Whatcha Got!?

We LOVED Estes Park, CO, but don't want to repeat a vacation. Glenwood and CO Springs were pretty good, but Glenwood misses the mark by not having the quaint downtown aspect. I'm headed to Silverton area for a guys offroading trip next month, but what else is out there. Looking to start planning our next mountain adventure.

Whatcha Got!?

We LOVED Estes Park, CO, but don't want to repeat a vacation. Glenwood and CO Springs were pretty good, but Glenwood misses the mark by not having the quaint downtown aspect. I'm headed to Silverton area for a guys offroading trip next month, but what else is out there. Looking to start planning our next mountain adventure.
Wyoming, lots of great places

a little hidden gem

attachment-Untitled-design-2021-08-17T023725.700.jpg

Mountain trip ideas
  • Glacier is a stand alone
  • Grand Tetons / Yellowstone separate from the above (Jackson Hole)
  • Ouray to Silverton
  • NY Finger Lakes trip including Lake Placid
  • Park City and surrounding area
  • Mount Ranier area (haven't been but want a trip there)

Just a couple assuming you mean lower 48. If not, LOTS of great ideas.

Reactions: h-hawk
Whatcha Got!?

Salida/Buena Vista/Arkansas River valley. Tons of stuff to do.

Reactions: WadeLookingbill
Mountain trip ideas
  • Glacier is a stand alone
  • Grand Tetons / Yellowstone separate from the above (Jackson Hole)
  • Ouray to Silverton
  • NY Finger Lakes trip including Lake Placid
  • Park City and surrounding area
  • Mount Ranier area (haven't been but want a trip there)

Just a couple assuming you mean lower 48. If not, LOTS of great ideas.
Aug 3-10 will be Ouray to Silverton, then over to Moab for offroading Jeep trip. Lake Placid definitely piques my interest. I'll have to look up the others. THanks!

Reactions: funksouljon
Glacier IMO is the best place on the planet for hiking and camping. There isn't really the "cute town" aspect of Estes, but it has everything else in spades.

If you want a cute town better to head to Breckenridge or Jackson Hole.

Whatcha Got!?

Have you tried Summit Co? Breck & Frisco have cool little downtown areas. Tons of places to stay in Silverthorne which is just a short trip to Frisco & Breck. We typically take a day trip to walk around Vail. This year we are skipping staying in Summit Co & doing Estes for a few days and then Winter Park. We have also enjoyed Steamboat & Salida/Buena Vista area. These places are both mentioned.

Would like some feedback on Jackson Hole. I did not find a lot of places to stay in this area. But we are looking for something different in the future also. Have always wanted to check out Telluride, Crested Butte, Ouray. Any other mountain/ski towns to check out?

TIA

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
Glacier IMO is the best place on the planet for hiking and camping. There isn't really the "cute town" aspect of Estes, but it has everything else in spades.

If you want a cute town better to head to Breckenridge or Jackson Hole.
Within the us I’m a huge glacier fan. But don’t stop there. At the very least cross the border into waterton Which is the Canadian half of glacier.

Better yet, keep going and visit some combination of Banff, lake Louise and jasper. More dramatic in my opinion. My favorite place on earth

Whatcha Got!?

The Triglav and the Soča Valley. Hit!

Another place I have spent a lot of time is in the Blue Ridge area. Lots of cool little cities (Helen, GA; Hiawassee, NC; Robbinsville, NC). Lots of cool little things to do. And you can easily access some larger cities in the areas (Chattanooga, Knoxville).

Moab as you mentioned above is a great trip. We rented a Jeep for a road trip and did our own light weight Jeeping tours.

Some of this really depends on what you like to do. But I skipped over a bunch of CO options as I don't want to be biased (pro CO).

Reactions: RicoSuave102954
Another place I have spent a lot of time is in the Blue Ridge area. Lots of cool little cities (Helen, GA; Hiawassee, NC; Robbinsville, NC). Lots of cool little things to do. And you can easily access some larger cities in the areas (Chattanooga, Knoxville).

Moab as you mentioned above is a great trip. We rented a Jeep for a road trip and did our own light weight Jeeping tours.

Some of this really depends on what you like to do. But I skipped over a bunch of CO options as I don't want to be biased (pro CO).
true dat

(And while we're on the east coast, if you were thinking winter, visit lake placid. just exceptionally cool, and a step back in time)

We did a week in Salida and Breckenridge a couple of years ago. Both places were fantastic with plenty to do. Great walkability to the downtown with shops, bars and restaurants. All of us have said we'll go back.

Reactions: RicoSuave102954
How about West Virginia? You could visit a snake handler church on Sunday morning...

And stay at the Greenbrier and tour the old congressional bunker

true dat

(And while we're on the east coast, if you were thinking winter, visit lake placid. just exceptionally cool, and a step back in time)

:) I agree 100%, that was in my first post. Finger Lakes wine tour and Lake Placid, the old Olympic facility you can still "play on" is pretty cool and gives an idea just how far the Olympics have come in 40 years. No way Lake Placid could hold them these days.

How about West Virginia? You could visit a snake handler church on Sunday morning...

And stay at the Greenbrier and tour the old congressional bunker
tough to quibble with the greenbrier, but i wouldn't really think of it as a mountain vacation. Off campus, good biking along the GB river trail, and you can always go to our newest national park (new river gorge). But the people around White Sulphur are far too genteel to handle snakes. (Not too far from soon to be my neck of the woods).

Reactions: thewop
:) I agree 100%, that was in my first post. Finger Lakes wine tour and Lake Placid, the old Olympic facility you can still "play on" is pretty cool and gives an idea just how far the Olympics have come in 40 years. No way Lake Placid could hold them these days.
Indeed. My son had a hockey tourney up there. Over the course of the weekend, we ski'd, skated on the olympic speed oval at night, he played games on the 32 and 80 rinks, we rode a bobsled, we tooled around on the lake. Just the coolest thing ever. And as you say, on leaving, just terribly sad contemplating that there will never be another olympics in a place like it, or say, Lillehammer. Hell, most of the places now are barely winter resorts.

Reactions: funksouljon
Within that vicinity I'd recommend Wyoming and Montana. Flying into billings has gotten stupid expensive in the summer but that whole area through yellowstone and grand Teton is absolutely fantastic. In the opposite direction (from CO at least) is Utah. Zions, Bryce, canyonlands, etc are all amazing and a huge contrast from the first recommendation.

Visited Ouray, Silverton, Tellulride for a few days last summer. Ouray is a cool little town. The million dollar highway was an experience, did the perimeter trail which had some awesome views. Did notice it is a very popular area for the Jeep people, lots of signs for rentals and excursions. Our hotel had a sign not to use towels for Jeep fixing or face an extra charge and we did see a couple people working away on their Jeeps in the hotel parking lot.

Telluride was ok, did Bridal Falls trail and another that went around the town. Downtown area felt very uppity. Ouray was more my kind of scene. Silverton was nice too, kind of felt like was in the old west and expected to see a horse or two trotting down the street.

We hit Breckenridge for two days as well and liked it. Plenty of shops and restaurants in the downtown area. Rode the free gondola up the mountain for lunch one day. Didn't do a ton of hiking as Breckenridge was our first stop and wife needed time to acclimate to the altitude.

How's Joey doing by the way, have not forgotten about that dog :)

Visited Ouray, Silverton, Tellulride for a few days last summer. Ouray is a cool little town. The million dollar highway was an experience, did the perimeter trail which had some awesome views. Did notice it is a very popular area for the Jeep people, lots of signs for rentals and excursions. Our hotel had a sign not to use towels for Jeep fixing or face an extra charge and we did see a couple people working away on their Jeeps in the hotel parking lot.

Telluride was ok, did Bridal Falls trail and another that went around the town. Downtown area felt very uppity. Ouray was more my kind of scene. Silverton was nice too, kind of felt like was in the old west and expected to see a horse or two trotting down the street.

We hit Breckenridge for two days as well and liked it. Plenty of shops and restaurants in the downtown area. Rode the free gondola up the mountain for lunch one day. Didn't do a ton of hiking as Breckenridge was our first stop and wife needed time to acclimate to the altitude.
Thanks for the notes. Neat to hear about Silverton. Telluride area has been on my list but it's just so much farther west.

Within that vicinity I'd recommend Wyoming and Montana. Flying into billings has gotten stupid expensive in the summer but that whole area through yellowstone and grand Teton is absolutely fantastic. In the opposite direction (from CO at least) is Utah. Zions, Bryce, canyonlands, etc are all amazing and a huge contrast from the first recommendation.
fly to calgary, go south.

We spent a week in Jackson Wyoming last August. Great hiking with Tetons 30 mins away and Yellowstone a day trip away. The town of Jackson is much better than Jackson Hole the ski resort. Stay in Jackson vs ski resort. We also did some rafting and boated on the larger lake in Tetons. Went the Jackson rodeo one night, good time. I liked that area more than RMNP and Estes park. Much more to do.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT