ADVERTISEMENT

Moving to Iowa...

goldmom

HR Legend
Mar 29, 2002
My son’s best friend from high school is LEAVING Dallas and moving to Iowa because he and his wife say Dallas is becoming unlivable!
Her relatives are from Iowa so they are familiar with the area already. Son says it’s a small town about a half hour out of Iowa City.
Sorry...they’re conservatives.

My son’s best friend from high school is LEAVING Dallas and moving to Iowa because he and his wife say Dallas is becoming unlivable!
Her relatives are from Iowa so they are familiar with the area already. Son says it’s a small town about a half hour out of Iowa City.
Conservatives in small town Iowa. Yep. Checks out

Tell them to bundle up.

Iowa is actually a really nice place to raise a family.

How can an entire metro area be “unlivable”? That just sounds so silly.
Traffic. Crowds. He and his wife live in an area that literally was the country when they moved there. Now it’s a 24/7 traffic jam. They are glad to relocate and they both were born and raised in TX.
They’re selling their house for almost triple their purchase price and are getting a new build in Iowa and paying cash. Kids are in college. He was in City Management with a suburban city and gets full retirement after 20 years so he can get a part time job up there in Iowa and they’ll be fine. Maybe he’ll be a corn tasseler 😏

If you have lived someplace your entire life and it’s become unrecognizable it isn’t silly. We all have our own unique experience.

I was born and raised in Jacksonville and had tons of relatives there when I was kid. Everyone has moved away or died, and there's no one for me there now. And it's a completely different place than it was back then, too.

Well, leaving Dallas for Mississippi North checks out. But I'd think just moving to Mississippi would make more sense, weather wise.

Dallas weather is weird. I recall sitting outside by the pool one day around noon in January and it was 80. By the time I picked up the kids at 3:15 it was cloudy and 45 and by 5:30 there was an ice storm. Schools were closed for the next two days.
Texans are used to weird weather. The only adjustment will be not seeing sunlight for two weeks in the winter.

I was born and raised in Jacksonville and had tons of relatives there when I was kid. Everyone has moved away or died, and there's no one for me there now. And it's a completely different place than it was back then, too.
I’d move out if my grandkids weren’t here.
Traffic here is a joke.

Traffic. Crowds. He and his wife live in an area that literally was the country when they moved there. Now it’s a 24/7 traffic jam. They are glad to relocate and they both were born and raised in TX.
They’re selling their house for almost triple their purchase price and are getting a new build in Iowa and paying cash. Kids are in college. He was in City Management with a suburban city and gets full retirement after 20 years so he can get a part time job up there in Iowa and they’ll be fine. Maybe he’ll be a corn tasseler 😏

Denton? Frisco? Plano? I hadn’t been to the Dallas area for probably 10 years and went back last year. Couldn’t believe how those areas had exploded.

Supposedly Iowa was ranked 7th in US News…I heard that somewhere. If they want to live in the middle of nowhere and surrounded by fellow conservatives - small town Iowa will be perfect for them.

What town are they moving to? Cedar Rapids is a half hour from IC. I wouldn't recommend it, but if that's the area I'd stick north of town in Marion or Hiawatha. Better options south of CR would be ELY, Solon, North Liberty, Tiffin.

Made a living off those evil taxes and social programs that the party he votes for wants to squeeze out of existence. Checks out.

Dallas weather is weird. I recall sitting outside by the pool one day around noon in January and it was 80. By the time I picked up the kids at 3:15 it was cloudy and 45 and by 5:30 there was an ice storm. Schools were closed for the next two days.
Texans are used to weird weather. The only adjustment will be not seeing sunlight for two weeks in the winter.
The winters will be a massive adjustment. It is one thing to live somewhere that gets ice storms and snow on occasion, but nothing can prepare you for those four or five day stretches where the temperatures never get higher than single digits.

Denton? Frisco? Plano? I hadn’t been to the Dallas area for probably 10 years and went back last year. Couldn’t believe how those areas had exploded.

Supposedly Iowa was ranked 7th in US News…I heard that somewhere. If they want to live in the middle of nowhere and surrounded by fellow conservatives - small town Iowa will be perfect for them.
Yes we used to call it the FFND bubble - Far Far North Dallas. Wylie area.
Crazy. When the kids were little we’d take them on car rides north up Preston Road cause there was a ranch where they had a herd of longhorns in one huge pasture and next to it a huge pasture of buffaloes. Bluebonnets everywhere in the springtime. All long gone but damn they got TJ Maxx and Target everywhere!

The winters will be a massive adjustment. It is one thing to live somewhere that gets ice storms and snow on occasion, but nothing can prepare you for those four or five day stretches where the temperatures never get higher than single digits.

Believe me I know - it’s why I cried everyday when we moved from Tampa to Madison Wisconsin. 🥶😢

Reactions: pink shizzle
Pretty sure this might be my cousin. She recently lost her dad and her mom moved back to Iowa a few years back

Reactions: goldmom
So… not unlivable. Just no longer fits their personal preferences. But expressed by them (or you) in terms suggesting their preferences are somehow determinative.

Oh, you don't have to tell me. When returning home from NC I try to get through town before 3 p.m., otherwise, the traffic will add at least 30 minutes to my trip. Savannah is a bad bottleneck, too.

I’d get off 295 and on to US1 or even A1A all the way down to at least Flagler Beach. You can at least have a scenic drive on A1A.

So… not unlivable. Just no longer fits their personal preferences. But expressed by them (or you) in terms suggesting their preferences are somehow determinative.
Definitely not out of the question.

If you have lived someplace your entire life and it’s become unrecognizable it isn’t silly. We all have our own unique experience.
I think the opposite is actually true. My old neighborhood is unrecognizable to me after being away for many years. But the people that lived there the whole time wouldn't notice because there's really no change from day to day. Kind of like seeing someone's kids after a few years while the parents see them every day.

Reactions: goldmom
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT