ADVERTISEMENT

Moving to Iowa...

One of my favorites…

f741c32c6111176c7ab1bc095a6f959d-full.jpg

And I’ve always thought this one has potential I just don’t have the vision to make it happen. More impressive porch and shutters would do wonders though.

8a59222276a6759f6c258e3a1fee2ce2l-m3716880159od-w480_h360.jpg

Reactions: TC Nole OX
been in austin 33 yrs. yes, it's unlivable unless you are a millionaire like elon musk. the vast majority of us, including myself, live in small towns around austin. austin is a blue city in a sea of red. I guess houston and dallas gotta be much the same.

the reasons it is unlivable: crime and money, costs of living. period.

Austin is awesome, but very expensive. I’m there a few times each year visiting family and I love it there although summer is damn hot most days. Crime rate is way down the list of complaints about Austin though.

Reactions: goldmom
My son’s best friend from high school is LEAVING Dallas and moving to Iowa because he and his wife say Dallas is becoming unlivable!
Her relatives are from Iowa so they are familiar with the area already. Son says it’s a small town about a half hour out of Iowa City.
Sorry...they’re conservatives.
Advise them that here in Iowa, damn few places do they pray before a football game. In fact, I don’t think I have ever witness pregame audience participation prayer. I guess most Iowans really are not religious.

One of my favorites…

And I’ve always thought this one has potential I just don’t have the vision to make it happen. More impressive porch and shutters would do wonders though.

Those really are beautiful homes.

One of my favorites…

That brick home I know well, have been inside it many times over the years, the former owners sold it back in December. I believe they had lived in that house for over 30 years. The only odd feature was the shared driveway with the property to the south.

Relevance?
He has none. Crazy old man that makes no sense with his posts. Just rambles on and on about things not related to the topic at hand. JK. Joel is a good guy as you know…when on his meds. 😜

Regarding moving to the area, have they done so or still looking? Solon is a great bedroom community to IC as I’m not reading through the previous 7 pages.

He has none. Crazy old man that makes no sense with his posts. Just rambles on and on about things not related to the topic at hand. JK. Joel is a good guy as you know…when on his meds. 😜

Regarding moving to the area, have they done so or still looking? Solon is a great bedroom community to IC as I’m not reading through the previous 7 pages.
I don’t know but I’ll ask. I would think they’d move in the summer because of the school break.

Unlivable is different for every person. I find large cities unlivable for many reasons, you would probably find my small town unlivable. It's weird people get all but hurt on here when someone says somewhere is unlivable for them.
Unlivable in terms of housing costs, dealing with traffic, higher property taxes and insurance, and poor choices in overdevelopment. (The latter being an issue here in Florida for decades)
None of those can be attributed to what some are inferring.

Iowa has more pro’s than con’s, the long winter months and distance to coast is a major drawback. Otherwise the cost of living, education and less congestion is a huge plus.

The biggest draw of course is the Casey’s pizza and sweet corn.
And don’t forget our 12/25 Hawkeye football.

12 wins. Averaging 25 points a game.

• Haha
Reactions: QChawks
Could be very true. But, what might some of those be?

Entertainment? Hawkeye sports, Broadway shows in Iowa City, DM, Chicago, great zoos and museums in Chicago, St Louis, KC. Lots of Cub games, Community theatre, symphony performances ....

Job opportunities? I had two great jobs in my career and plenty of other opportunities had I wanted them.

Travel? You can get anywhere from anywhere.

Health care? World class health care available in IC and CR.

Weather? Sure, we have bad weather from time to time, but exactly where isn't there bad weather or other natural disasters? We have all four seasons and I wouldn't want to miss any of them (a little less winter might be nice).

For certain, I have not lived in a diverse population. The vast majority of people I have even met are/were white.

Yes, I'm sure they are many, many things that have not been a part of my experience. But, that's going to be true of any particular area of the country.
Yep....agree.
I have lived in Iowa all my life and have no desire to live anywhere else.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT