ADVERTISEMENT

Mt Rushmore of Iowans

Hawk_4shur

HB Legend
Jan 2, 2009
Born in Iowa. Went on to achieve greatness.

Nile Kinnick
Chris Street
John Wayne
James T Kirk ;)

Others? Robert Ray, Glenn Miller, Dan Gable, Bob Feller, Zach Johnson, Shawn Johnson, Kurt Warner?

Sports: Tough call but I'm going with Nile Kinnick.
Politics: Blah President, but he was a President. Herbert Hoover.
Entertainer: This one is really tough call, but I'm going with Johnny Carson. Honorable mention to Radar who hailed from Ottumwa!
Historic Figure: While not born in Iowa, I'm going with Wyatt Earp since he spent most of his boyhood in @joelbc1's hometown.
Artist: In a category that IMHO is bleak of options, Grant Wood gets the prize.

Reactions: NDallasRuss
Sports: Tough call but I'm going with Nile Kinnick.
Politics: Blah President, but he was a President. Herbert Hoover.
Entertainer: This one is really tough call, but I'm going with Johnny Carson. Honorable mention to Radar who hailed from Ottumwa!
Historic Figure: While not born in Iowa, I'm going with Wyatt Earp since he spent most of his boyhood in @joelbc1's hometown.
Artist: In a category that IMHO is bleak of options, Grant Wood gets the prize.
On Hoover...had a pretty distinguished record prior to the Presidency.

Anyone elected in 1928 was gonna be a one term president...bad timing.

At the start of World War I (1914-18), Hoover dedicated his talents to humanitarian work. He helped 120,000 stranded American tourists return home from Europe when the hostilities broke out and coordinated the delivery of food and supplies to citizens of Belgium after that country was overrun by Germany.

When the U.S. entered the war in 1917, President Woodrow Wilson (1856-1924) appointed Hoover head of the Food Administration. Hoover encouraged Americans to reduce their consumption of meat and other commodities in order to ensure a steady supply of food and clothing for the Allied troops.

Once the war ended, Hoover, as head of the American Relief Administration, arranged shipments of food and aid to war-ravaged Europe. He earned worldwide acclaim for his humanitarian efforts, as well as thousands of appreciative letters from people across Europe who benefited from the free meals known as “Hoover lunches.”
Hoover’s success earned him an appointment as secretary of commerce under President Warren Harding (1865-1923), and he continued in this position under President Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933). During the fast-paced modernization of the 1920s, Hoover played an active role in organizing the fledgling radio broadcasting and civilian aviation industries, and also laid the groundwork for the construction of a huge dam on the Colorado River between Arizona and Nevada. (Named after Hoover, the dam opened in 1936.)

Born in Iowa. Went on to achieve greatness.

Nile Kinnick
Chris Street
John Wayne
James T Kirk ;)

Others? Robert Ray, Glenn Miller, Dan Gable, Bob Feller, Zach Johnson, Shawn Johnson, Kurt Warner?
Any non-white people? Or just white as white can be.

Simon Estes, Jack Trice (not born in Iowa but still), George Washington Carver (same) , me (for my continued disdain of Shitty High)
Simon Estes chewed me out for having a quickie saw and a spade in his yard. Dude sounds like Darth Vader.

/csb

• Love
Reactions: GOHOX69
John Wayne is no bueno anymore.
Plus Wayne left the state when he was 6 years old. Kind of embarrassing to include him. I would rather vote for Ashton who actually embraces Iowa.

372c9cb5-b5e9-41ee-bf75-dddd087ea7c5-AP081212027452.jpg

Reactions: GOHOX69
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT