ADVERTISEMENT

Mt Rushmore of Iowans

On Hoover...had a pretty distinguished record prior to the Presidency.

Anyone elected in 1928 was gonna be a one term president...bad timing.

At the start of World War I (1914-18), Hoover dedicated his talents to humanitarian work. He helped 120,000 stranded American tourists return home from Europe when the hostilities broke out and coordinated the delivery of food and supplies to citizens of Belgium after that country was overrun by Germany.

When the U.S. entered the war in 1917, President Woodrow Wilson (1856-1924) appointed Hoover head of the Food Administration. Hoover encouraged Americans to reduce their consumption of meat and other commodities in order to ensure a steady supply of food and clothing for the Allied troops.

Once the war ended, Hoover, as head of the American Relief Administration, arranged shipments of food and aid to war-ravaged Europe. He earned worldwide acclaim for his humanitarian efforts, as well as thousands of appreciative letters from people across Europe who benefited from the free meals known as “Hoover lunches.”
Hoover’s success earned him an appointment as secretary of commerce under President Warren Harding (1865-1923), and he continued in this position under President Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933). During the fast-paced modernization of the 1920s, Hoover played an active role in organizing the fledgling radio broadcasting and civilian aviation industries, and also laid the groundwork for the construction of a huge dam on the Colorado River between Arizona and Nevada. (Named after Hoover, the dam opened in 1936.)

Well, duh. I've been to West Branch bruh...

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
I would be more interested in what outsiders would pick.

Native Iowans perception of known Iowans is likely a bit slanted. Give a 100 random non Iowans a little time to research and see what they come up with.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT