ADVERTISEMENT

Mulh was amazing

hawkjt

HR Legend
Feb 14, 2004
covering CC. Best one on one perimeter defender on CC I have seen.
Does SC have anyone similar?
If not, I suspect CC will feel freed from jail and will have BIG game.

Probably not enough to overcome SC"s strength inside but we got a punchers chance?

The most impressive part imo, was that for the most part she was doing so without grabbing and holding Clark - we've occasionally seen Clark struggle against defenses, but for the most part it was because officials were letting them be extremely physical. I also give credit to Clark, she had to be frustrated as hell but she didn't let that get to her for the most part.

She did a helluva job for sure but she held plenty too. I bet if you go back and re-watched it she held enough to foul out easily
I have to disagree here - there's probably stuff I didn't see, but she did a better job of just chasing Clark around everywhere without the constant grab/holds we've see by others before than anyone else I've seen.

In the first half especially, UConn was simply fantastic at extending their defense and not letting Iowa get into their offensive rhythm. 2nd half, iowa did a better job of screening especially, which let them find their footing more.

I have to disagree here - there's probably stuff I didn't see, but she did a better job of just chasing Clark around everywhere without the constant grab/holds we've see by others before than anyone else I've seen.

In the first half especially, UConn was simply fantastic at extending their defense and not letting Iowa get into their offensive rhythm. 2nd half, iowa did a better job of screening especially, which let them find their footing more.

I thought she held a lot, but only when she had to keep Clark where she needed her. She was pretty smart about it. UConn couldn't have asked for more from her last night. Clark had a much easier night after Muhl got injured.

Probably not enough to overcome SC"s strength inside but we got a punchers chance?
I was going to post the same thing, totally agree, Muhl was awesome, I don’t recall a better defender covering Clark this year.

To the important question, does SC (I only watch state of IA hoops) have a lockdown defender close to Muhl’s level on the perimeter defensive end?

Last edited:
She did a helluva job for sure but she held plenty too. I bet if you go back and re-watched it she held enough to foul out easily
If they were calling ticky tack things, yes. But they weren’t. It was one of the most impressive displays of individual defensive performance I’ve seen. CC was able to cook her when she got a screen and decided to drive downhill for a layup though. But CC had to burn a bunch of energy just getting into the half court offense because of Muhl’s work.

I watched her grab Caitlin enough times that could have fouled her out. I called it out while watching at least 3 times. Legit fouls missed. Oh well, we won. She did a great job guarding, for the record.

I watched quite a bit of the November '22 game between these teams and I was actually quite relieved yesterday. IMO, Caitlin seemed to be able to dribble much more freely and even got to the hole several times. I think Muhl brought the same intensity but Caitlin was just more prepared this time.

If they were calling ticky tack things, yes. But they weren’t. It was one of the most impressive displays of individual defensive performance I’ve seen. CC was able to cook her when she got a screen and decided to drive downhill for a layup though. But CC had to burn a bunch of energy just getting into the half court offense because of Muhl’s work.
It's tough when you got someone athletic enough to consistently stay in front of you and impede your forward movement with their body, especially without grabbing/fouling............

Muhl's strategy was keep her hands out and just block Clark from moving anywhere.

Unfortunately for them, she got into foul trouble, got tired, then ran into her own teammate and hurt herself.

She still hounded Clark, but by then we had already regained the lead.

Just a shame it had to happen for UConn. I'm broken up about it. Truly.

Reactions: Moral
Weird feelings about this game, I believed/still believe we were the better team.

Even when down 12, and I mentioned as much in the game thread. I expected to win.

But here is where it gets strange…we played pretty poorly, but it’s not like UConn was playing great. They were just playing better than us.

When I looked at the halftime stats and took into consideration the fact that a full game usually regresses to the mean, I knew we wouldn’t shoot that bad all game or at least, didn’t think we would. I also knew we wouldn’t keep throwing the ball away at that clip.

But our effort numbers were good meaning rebounds & defense. I think at the half we were out rebounding them by at least eight.

But in the second half, the fouls started piling up, and they started getting tired. Part of the reason why their shot went away, and their fouls went up, as far as that goes….

So back to the topic at hand, Nick Muhl. She played awesome, but my Lord a mighty Caitlin never stopped running, trying to get open She must be in amazing condition….!!

Although to be fair, and “honest” she took breaks on defense quite a bit, especially early on lol!

Something else of note. I noticed her grabbing the rebound and getting down the court was an advantage for us, and she did really seem to dial-in on that. I think she ended up with nine defensive rebounds..

Last edited:
Reactions: Moral
It was an interesting chess match. Muhl chased well, but UConn also double teamed up top a lot to stop the middle drive by Clark. In the second half when Clark made a 3, I believe Iowa had countered by setting two screens up top to get her open. It was fun watching the coaching adjustments.

People said the same thing about Iowa vs. SC last year, and if you recall, Iowa won, 77-73. The Hawkeyes not only know how to beat SC, they've already done it. Can they do it again? Absolutely.

• Love
Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
I watched her grab Caitlin enough times that could have fouled her out. I called it out while watching at least 3 times. Legit fouls missed. Oh well, we won. She did a great job guarding, for the record.
To be fair, if they called her on the grabbing once or twice she would have stopped doing it.

Doubtful,but they have depth. So I would do the same strategy and switch players on her to keep the defenders fresh.

I thought she held a lot, but only when she had to keep Clark where she needed her. She was pretty smart about it. UConn couldn't have asked for more from her last night. Clark had a much easier night after Muhl got injured.

She would grab CC briefly when CC would cut back to get open. Slowed CC up just a bit. Muhl did play great defense overall, and I didn't think she was too handsy most of the time.

Gabby apparently played better defense as she limited Geno's best player in the nation to stats not on par with CC's.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT