ADVERTISEMENT

Musings from This Weekend's Trip to NW Iowa

I think it's Balltown Road, no?

Yep, Ridge Road and/or county C63 I believe are the official designations.

If you take the right heading north out of Dubuque ("old" US52, now IA3) near Sageville, then drive through to Millville at the end, I think it goes from Sherrill Road to Balltown Road to Ridge Road to North Buena Vista Road to Great River Road - and you never really leave the same road.

THAT is a road your M4 would enjoy thoroughly. Just stay in your lane because there's a lot of blind corners up and down the valleys that vehicles like to appear suddenly.

Just north on the road as you head out of Balltown, there's a scenic overlook that can fit 25 or so vehicles. That'sa where this picture was taken from. Damn near every time I drive through there, vehicles are parked there taking the view in.

There's actually several places to pull over with great scenery along that road as well as the road from North Buenie to Millville. They don't have the "perfect pullover parking" that this spot has, but still doable and equally scenic.

That general area from Millville to Sageville, along those roads back in there...a little slice of heaven.

Last edited:
7. Even in its monotony, its a beautiful landscape with the rolling hills, farms, barns, etc... Driving in late Friday night (after midnight), there was an eery fog that would have been very cool had I not been so tired.

Give it a few days…ok, I’ll say give it a few weeks…and novelty wears off pretty quick. I don’t care what USNews says.

Reactions: NoleATL
As a resident of the Ice Cream Capital since '91, Le Mars might "seem" to be more liberal than Sioux Co., but Republican politics still dominate (Dems for local and county office don't even bother running). MAGATS are everywhere. Enjoy the bar at 4 Bros. Lally's has been there forever (like Archie's) and yes, specializes in comfort food, but after eating there I usually have an extremely small window of time before I have to find a toilet. And yes, the big freaky chicken is still on guard duty on the SW corner of the building.

On the stalk. Our fields turn the most beautiful shade of golden brown before harvest. It always sucks that winter is coming but it’s probably my favorite color in nature when there isn't even the tiniest bit of green left. Satisfies whatever old I might have lol.
We have at least one more visit before winter comes, when would be a good time to target to see this?

Reactions: jasonrann
As a resident of the Ice Cream Capital since '91, Le Mars might "seem" to be more liberal than Sioux Co., but Republican politics still dominate (Dems for local and county office don't even bother running). MAGATS are everywhere. Enjoy the bar at 4 Bros. Lally's has been there forever (like Archie's) and yes, specializes in comfort food, but after eating there I usually have an extremely small window of time before I have to find a toilet. And yes, the big freaky chicken is still on guard duty on the SW corner of the building.
Yeah, I was just comparing to Orange City in relative terms. I have no illusion it’s liberal.

Reactions: yescyam
We have at least one more visit before winter comes, when would be a good time to target to see this?

Mid to late October is my favorite season in Iowa. Time it up with a Hawkeye game weekend!
If you do late October, be sure and hit Oktoberfest in Remsen, at least stop for the meal. The food is unbelievable, American and German food. It's the last Saturday of October. The link below contains 2022 information, but you get the idea. The overall celebration is NOTHING like it was 25 years ago, but the food and live music is worth it.

Speaking of Lally's... is "broasted" chicken a common synonym for fried chicken? I was thinking it was going to be some combination of broiled and roasted but it was flat out fried chicken. Also, no intestinal regrets and I suppose all the old people eating in there must have strong constitutions if its an issue cause the average age was probably 75.

“Everything is closed on Sunday….,”
Obviously ‘Nole has no appreciation for the Reformed/Christian Reformed churches…..In some communities, this is a fact of life……Orange City/Sioux County included…..
Most towns were that way other than a coffee shop or two back in the days of our youth.

Did you doubt me?

RikExYg.jpg
BTW, it seems she is still alive and kicking in Rushford, MN at the ripe age of 83.

Speaking of Lally's... is "broasted" chicken a common synonym for fried chicken? I was thinking it was going to be some combination of broiled and roasted but it was flat out fried chicken. Also, no intestinal regrets and I suppose all the old people eating in there must have strong constitutions if its an issue cause the average age was probably 75.
Broasted is fried, but it's fried differently. It's fried in a pressure cooker that is sealed versus a frying pan on top of a stove. IMHO, it turns out much better, much juicier. I worked at a restaurant in Le Mars from '85 - '90 during high school and when home during college breaks. We made broasted chicken 48 pieces at a time and were pretty well known for it. In fact, the owner of Lally's at the time and the owner of the place where I worked were very good friends and had coffee at least once/week. I knew them both well.

Broasted is fried, but it's fried differently. It's fried in a pressure cooker that is sealed versus a frying pan on top of a stove. IMHO, it turns out much better, much juicier. I worked at a restaurant in Le Mars from '85 - '90 during high school and when home during college breaks. We made broasted chicken 48 pieces at a time and were pretty well known for it. In fact, the owner of Lally's at the time and the owner of the place where I worked were very good friends and had coffee at least once/week. I knew them both well.
giphy.gif

Somewhat similar to KFC it sounds. It was good chicken.
I think it is better than pan frying because it doesn't need to be in the oil as long as the heat and pressure lead to faster prep. We could do a batch of 48 pieces in about 12-13 minutes in the broaster. Most pan fried joints here in KC say 20-30 minutes minimum. Pan frying is also more variable, IMHO, because if the temperature is even a little bit too low, it is going to be extremely greasy.

There is one in Orange City. Looks more like a lodge in a beautiful setting.
There's one in like every town up there. I think it was founded in Sioux Center. Me and my friends used to go the LeMars one a lot. The only reason we ever went to Orange City was for the movie theatre.

Its different, I believe pressure cooked in a fryer.

Orange City, and Sioux County in general, do suck so you definitely got that right. Only the people that live there think it's great, everybody else hates them/there.

Next time you're in Le Mars be sure to check out Wise I Brewing Company. Great beers and cool little atmosphere. Blue Tequila Downton is also about as good of Mexican as you're gonna get in NW Iowa if you get a hankering. Bob's Drive In also has a cool twist on hot dogs that is worth checking out.

Whether you're in Orange City or Le Mars next time, make the trek up highway 60 to Sibley on a Wednesday or Saturday night to visit 1015 Steak Co. They have smoked prime rib that is the best piece of beef I've ever eaten. There's also a cool brewery in town there as well. It would be an easy and relaxing drive and well, well worth it.

Glad you got to visit our little neck of the woods. Sorry for all of the dumbass Trumpers, but I'm sure you're used to that in Florida as well.

Monroe’s Continental Buffet?

Born and raised in Le Mars. Lally’s is where the family went out to eat all the time, unless we went to Pizza Hut. Once upon a time, the one in Le Mars had a very nice dining room complete with a fireplace.

Monroe’s Continental Buffet?

Born and raised in Le Mars. Lally’s is where the family went out to eat all the time, unless we went to Pizza Hut. Once upon a time, the one in Le Mars had a very nice dining room complete with a fireplace.
Munro's, yes.

I sat next to that fireplace at Pizza Hut many times!

I think it is better than pan frying because it doesn't need to be in the oil as long as the heat and pressure lead to faster prep. We could do a batch of 48 pieces in about 12-13 minutes in the broaster. Most pan fried joints here in KC say 20-30 minutes minimum. Pan frying is also more variable, IMHO, because if the temperature is even a little bit too low, it is going to be extremely greasy.
Ever go to Strouds?

Reactions: jasonrann
Orange City, and Sioux County in general, do suck so you definitely got that right. Only the people that live there think it's great, everybody else hates them/there.

Next time you're in Le Mars be sure to check out Wise I Brewing Company. Great beers and cool little atmosphere. Blue Tequila Downton is also about as good of Mexican as you're gonna get in NW Iowa if you get a hankering. Bob's Drive In also has a cool twist on hot dogs that is worth checking out.

Whether you're in Orange City or Le Mars next time, make the trek up highway 60 to Sibley on a Wednesday or Saturday night to visit 1015 Steak Co. They have smoked prime rib that is the best piece of beef I've ever eaten. There's also a cool brewery in town there as well. It would be an easy and relaxing drive and well, well worth it.

Glad you got to visit our little neck of the woods. Sorry for all of the dumbass Trumpers, but I'm sure you're used to that in Florida as well.
1. Wasn’t really bothered by the Trumpers. Only saw one house with a big Trump flag in the front yard.

2. Both times in Le Mars we walked by Wise I and didn’t go in. 1st time there were a bunch of 5 year olds sitting at the bar and both times the lights were as bright as any gas station. I’ll make sure we go in next time.

1. Wasn’t really bothered by the Trumpers. Only saw one house with a big Trump flag in the front yard.

2. Both times in Le Mars we walked by Wise I and didn’t go in. 1st time there were a bunch of 5 year olds sitting at the bar and both times the lights were as bright as any gas station. I’ll make sure we go in next time.
Then you somehow missed all of the let's go Brandon, anti-abortion, Christian reformed, GQP stuff, which is great to be honest.

I'll be in Ames tonight, but not planning on going to the concert. I'll drink a beer with you if you want to.
Concert is free I believe. Even if not, I can tell you from RAGBRAII in Boone, you'll be able to hear the band a mile away. I'll buy you a beer and an iced tea for me.

No Camel Hair coat because Torbee couldn't spot me when I did that. I'll be wearing either a Kelce jersey or a Podolak jersey

Reactions: Igor Stravinsky10
Concert is free I believe. Even if not, I can tell you from RAGBRAII in Boone, you'll be able to hear the band a mile away. I'll buy you a beer and an iced tea for me.

No Camel Hair coat because Torbee couldn't spot me when I did that. I'll be wearing either a Kelce jersey or a Podolak jersey
Trashy....nice

LOL....no Camel Hair here either. We are heading to Main Street. I'm a bald guy wearing a gold Hawkeye shirt, my wife (I'll let you share a pic if we meet up) has a UNI purple shirt on, and my nephew has his red Clown shirt on. Nephew might be easiest to spot, he's 6'5". We might stop at Tip Top or Whiskey River depending on crowds.

LOL....no Camel Hair here either. We are heading to Main Street. I'm a bald guy wearing a gold Hawkeye shirt, my wife (I'll let you share a pic if we meet up) has a UNI purple shirt on, and my nephew has his red Clown shirt on. Nephew might be easiest to spot, he's 6'5". We might stop at Tip Top or Whiskey River depending on crowds.
I"m heading down there in about 30 minutes. I'm going kelce tonight. Burning Sensations should be wrapping up around then. I'm telling you, you will like Hairball

@NoleATL Did your husband grow up in Iowa? I'm just wondering why he doesn't know what is growing in the Iowa fields.

People not from farm territory tend to think our corn fields are sweet corn that gets canned and eaten. They have no way of knowing that it is all field corn or seed corn. They also have no way of knowing that it has to completely dry and turn completely brown before its ready. Makes me chuckle every time. Lol
I've seen a video once of a girl munching on field corn thinking it was the sweet kind.

Reactions: DooBi and Pinehawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT