ADVERTISEMENT

My first post-What it means to be a HAWKEYE!

mikelance

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2008
I have been a HAWK fan since moving to Fairfield in 1984. Work took our family away for 22 years and 9 moves to chase the work dream, but now back in the Midwest in Columbia MO. No matter where we have been , I have always worn my HAWKEYE colors proud and tried to get to all the bowl games I can. I saw the Drew Tate miracle, as well as the Orange bowl win, but only now have I been able to take my my 10 year old twin daughters to Kinnick. I still get chills and tear up every time I see Kirk and the boys coming down the tunnel! The best thing that ever happened to me was moving to Iowa when I was a Soph in high school. The people, the work ethic, the making the most out of the talent God gives you, are things I have never forgotten l. Even though I am in Tiger country, I fly the HAWK flag proudly , and know what the "true" Black and Gold means. Last game I was driving to Mt.Pleasant to stay before the Illiinois game one of my daughter's said Dad, "Is this heaven?" I said no honey this is "IOWA"! :) She said this place is awesome and I want to go to Iowa.
Talk about a proud moment! I am proud of the team this year, and glad to be 7-0, but more importantly I am glad I moved to IOWA, and I am proud to be a transplant, and proud to be a HAWKEYE!
Shout our to the Trojans...we were awesome back in the day and ended Ottumwa's reign on conference baseball titles( 21 straight) my Senior year. While the baseball career didn't turn out like I hoped, those younger days in Fairfield taught me more about life and hard work( thanks to the farmers that hired me during the summer time!), and what good people are all about! GO HAWKS! 12-0 baby!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.