ADVERTISEMENT

My oh my, how dorm food has changed at the University of Iowa

That's why I stated off-campus. You can still buy a 10 pack of ramen for less than 2 dollars. Somebody always has a car. Come on. I didn't have a car my freshman year. I went to Aldi's when my roommate, that had a car, did. Mac and cheese is still a dollar. Canned pasta is less than a dollar.

Oh I get it, you're having your own side convo. Best of luck.

Reactions: Pinehawk
Wut? Seriously. How can you not be able to get to a grocery store in Iowa City? That is absolutely amazing to me.

Reactions: JRHawk2003
You are not following along. Scroll back.

I have only been speaking about the cost of food, in keeping with the theme of the thread.

Forgive me for not immediately knowing that your single statement of "so much cheaper off campus" in a thread about dorm food was to be taken as an entire alternative to dorm living.

And in that case, f@cking duh you can manage a cheaper cost of living off campus.

I have only been speaking about the cost food.

Forgive me for not immediately knowing that your single statement of "so much cheaper off-campus" in a thread about dorm food was to be taken as an entire alternative to dorm living.

And in that case, f@cking duh you can manage a cheaper cost of living off campus.
That was the whole point.

You're high as hell if you think you're communicating clearly.
Haha. Whatever.

"It is not cheaper off campus if you're eating 3 times a day all week. Black plan meal swipes work out to about $8 a pop for all you care to eat, it would be a struggle to find anything consistently less than that."

Yes it is cheaper off-campus.

• Haha
It didn't take me long to realize I didn't need the full meal plan and switched to something like 10x a week.

Rarely was interested in walking to the cafeteria for breakfast. A cafeteria lunch was not always convenient, sometimes conflicting with work or class. Then the rest was filled in by microwaved crap in the dorm and primarily prepared food from shops/restaurants.

Reactions: 2bagger22
Haha. Whatever.

"It is not cheaper off campus if you're eating 3 times a day all week. Black plan meal swipes work out to about $8 a pop for all you care to eat, it would be a struggle to find anything consistently less than that."

Yes it is cheaper off-campus.
Holy sh!t dude. The op's kid is living in the dorms, again forgive me for not knowing that you are disregarding that fact from whatever hill you'd like to remain on.

Holy sh!t dude. The op's kid is living in the dorms, again forgive me for not knowing that you are disregarding that fact from whatever hill you'd like to remain on.
This is the last response. The point was it is cheaper to live off campus and buy groceries than paying for a meal plan in the dorms. Understand?

• Haha
Yeah. All you’ve got to do is arrange an Uber with a handful of other students to go get ramen and mac and cheese to eat all semester. Great point.

My last year was 1991. You could go to county market and get macaroni and cheese 10/$1. A package of 8 hot dogs was another dollar. While the macaroni and cheese was supposed to have milk and butter, that could be treated as only a suggestion if you didn’t have any in the refrigerator. My god that was terrible food. Cheap and filling but so so bad.

Yeah. All you’ve got to do is arrange an Uber with a handful of other students to go get ramen and mac and cheese to eat all semester. Great point.
The anti-science, pro private school grift has spoken. Not hard to get to a grocery store. How lazy and inefficient are some of you people?

• Haha
Wut? Seriously. How can you not be able to get to a grocery store in Iowa City? That is absolutely amazing to me. Edit: 3 students in an Uber would be about 5 dollars roundtrip.

Fairly soon you’ll be able to hop on an IC bus and your round trip to the grocery store and back will be free.

You are literally the only person in this thread that has said as much.
You have made it apparent it is difficult to get to a grocery store in Iowa City. You stated that students apparently can only get on the local ones. What it is?

"Cheap food like everyone else, but the landscape has changed since I was in school. The value provided by the marketplaces is not that same as it once was, while the price of groceries within walking distance of campus are not going to be in the same ballpark as Aldi's."

GO TO ALDI's.

• Haha
You have made it apparent it is difficult to get to a grocery store in Iowa City. You stated that students apparently can only get on the local ones. What it is?

No, I said that the grocery stores within walking distance of the dorms are not priced at a value. For the third time, everything I've said was still based upon living within a dorm which is pretty clear when I agreed with you in post #45 that it is pretty obvious that you can find a cheaper cost of living outside of the dorm system. I don't know why you're having trouble with that concept, but I am trying to be a clear as I can.

No, I said that the grocery stores within walking distance of the dorms are not priced at a value. For the third time, everything I've said was still based upon living within a dorm which is pretty clear when I agreed with you in post #45 that it is pretty obvious that you can find a cheaper cost of living outside of the dorm system. I don't know why you're having trouble with that concept, but I am trying to be a clear as I can.
You jumped into a different convo. JFC. Did you actually read the whole thread.

• Haha
You jumped into a different convo. JFC. Did you actually read the whole thread.

Only here can a person explicitly state that they agree with another's statement, point out that something must have been lost in translation a d still be met with obstinacy.

Only here can a person explicitly state that they agree with another's statement, point out that something must have been lost in translation a d still be met with obstinacy.
You honestly believe that making meals when you live off-campus is more expensive than a meal plan in the dorms?

My wife worked in housing and dining a while. The dining staff actually does a great job and if your kid has an allergy they'll do everything to make sure they can still eat every meal

I lived on Beef Ole at the dinning center at Northern Iowa. Stuff was the ultimate colon cleanser.
Oh God, I remember those days. I liked Beef Ole the first time I had it, didn't have it very often after that. Sunday lunches were absolutely vile and of course no dinner on Sundays. I ate lots of Shakeys, Long John's and Taco John's on Sundays.

Oh God, I remember those days. I liked Beef Ole the first time I had it, didn't have it very often after that. Sunday lunches were absolutely vile and of course no dinner on Sundays. I ate lots of Shakeys, Long John's and Taco John's on Sundays.

WTF is beef ole?

Reactions: jasonrann
WTF is beef ole?
@gamedayron01 , correct me if I am missing anything.

Gnarly taco meat
Beans
Diced tomatoes
Diced onions
Shredded cheese
Fritos over the top

For me, it was (1) the frequency of it and (2) when I ate it, I ate a TON of it. There were serious consequences for that, especially after a night of drinking bigly amounts of piss beer from The Stein. Pretty sure I could shit through a screen door.

I lived in Currier in the 90s. We toured Currier on my son's visit. Rooms looked similar, except they are now air conditioned. The public spaces are light years better than the 90s. Again, reminded me of some kind of resort, or at least a nice hotel.
If anyone is wondering, Mayflower still has that dingy, industrial office space look from the late 80s going in. One of my kids lived there last year.
Just depressing. Fluorescent lights buzzing as you walk down the halls. Threadbare carpet.

• Sad
Reactions: Tenacious E
@gamedayron01 , correct me if I am missing anything.

Gnarly taco meat
Beans
Diced tomatoes
Diced onions
Shredded cheese
Fritos over the top

For me, it was (1) the frequency of it and (2) when I ate it, I ate a TON of it. There were serious consequences for that, especially after a night of drinking bigly amounts of piss beer from The Stein. Pretty sure I could shit through a screen door.
That sounds a lot like Peggy Hill's famous frito pie.

If anyone is wondering, Mayflower still has that dingy, industrial office space look from the late 80s going in. One of my kids lived there last year.
Just depressing. Fluorescent lights buzzing as you walk down the halls. Threadbare carpet.
They are planning to tear it down I believe.

Reactions: Tenacious E
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT