ADVERTISEMENT

My oh my, how dorm food has changed at the University of Iowa

That's not how funding for Housing and Dining works.

Of course it does,.. You don't seriously think they pay for construction and maintenance of the dining facilities with dinner receipts?,.. A component of tuition always goes towards support of campus infrastructure, whether you chose to use it or not...

Of course it does,.. You don't seriously think they pay for construction and maintenance of the dining facilities with dinner receipts?,.. A component of tuition always goes towards support of campus infrastructure, whether you chose to use it or not...

H&D facilities is funded through unused meal swipes, not tuition. It's a completely different funding pool, not unlike athletics or the hospital.

While the facilities and amenities are generally better than my day (Mid to late 80's), some of the processes are overly cumbersome now IMO. They just threw us all into Burge,etc. unless there was some special condition. To me, that was a huge part of my education. All of a sudden I had people from everywhere; small town Iowa, Other Large Iowa High Schools, Chicago Burbs and some others. It was wild for me and the education was dealing with all types of people. Now they try to do all this extensive matching by interest, etc. almost like dating. Seems over the top to me. I met some lifelong friends my freshman year.
I agree, however grouping students by interest/major/etc. can help retain students YOY.

Counterpoint is that in theory they are matching people with like interests, cleanliness, etc., and will make the living together experience smoother. You can still make friends with other random people on your floor.

If you ever cut him off on the food bill, let me know and I’ll hook him up with a scheduled meal plan on the cheap. His sustenance will be limited to 1/2 price Airliner pizza, 1/2 price Sam’s Pizza, Mickey’s Conglomerations, BoJames / Quentin’s burger baskets, $1 slice nights, and $5 DP Dough calzones - so he’ll get fat but eating like a king for next to nothing if he does it right.

Reactions: Tenacious E
H&D facilities is funded through unused meal swipes, not tuition. It's a completely different funding pool, not unlike athletics or the hospital.

Operational budget perhaps,.. not the capital construction investment that was made to put those facilities there in the first place.

Operational budget perhaps,.. not the capital construction investment that was made to put those facilities there in the first place.

Tuition doesn't fund H&D construction either. That typically comes from gifts, grants and mandatory transfers.

I don't know where you're getting your information from, but it's inaccurate.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT