ADVERTISEMENT

My one reservation about the defense

Feb 25, 2008
Probably no surprise, but usually the key to the great Iowa defenses of the KF era has been, at worst, consistent LB play and at best, AA/elite level talent.

But LB is without a doubt THE biggest question mark for the defense going into 2023, and could be a major factor in whether this defensive unit can carry the burden of our limpdi** offense (hopefully until it comes around or some unknown WRs emerge) like they were able to the last few years.......or if they will falter under the weight of having to play perfectly each and every possession of each and every game with a thin LB group that has some talent, but is mostly unproven/inexperienced.

Losing Justin Jacobs was a big blow, even though we sort of made up for it with the transfer of Nick Jackson from Virginia. Jay Higgins will man the other LB spot while Sebastian Castro will fill the Cash position.

Karson Sharar is currently listed opposite Higgins on the Spring depth chart, but that's mainly due to Jackson not being enrolled at Iowa, yet (presumably because he's finishing up the academic year at Virginia).

As we saw at the end of last year, though, we can ill-afford injuries at certain positions, and this year that will be LB. As mentioned, we are very inexperienced/limited beyond the projected starters.

I think if Iowa has any hopes of maintaining that 8+ wins a year streak, it's gonna depend on the health (and growth) of this LB unit.

Probably no surprise, but usually the key to the great Iowa defenses of the KF era has been, at worst, consistent LB play and at best, AA/elite level talent.

But LB is without a doubt THE biggest question mark for the defense going into 2023, and could be a major factor in whether this defensive unit can carry the burden of our limpdi** offense (hopefully until it comes around or some unknown WRs emerge) like they were able to the last few years.......or if they will falter under the weight of having to play perfectly each and every possession of each and every game with a thin LB group that has some talent, but is mostly unproven/inexperienced.

Losing Justin Jacobs was a big blow, even though we sort of made up for it with the transfer of Nick Jackson from Virginia. Jay Higgins will man the other LB spot while Sebastian Castro will fill the Cash position.

Karson Sharar is currently listed opposite Higgins on the Spring depth chart, but that's mainly due to Jackson not being enrolled at Iowa, yet (presumably because he's finishing up the academic year at Virginia).

As we saw at the end of last year, though, we can ill-afford injuries at certain positions, and this year that will be LB. As mentioned, we are very inexperienced/limited beyond the projected starters.

I think if Iowa has any hopes of maintaining that 8+ wins a year streak, it's gonna depend on the health (and growth) of this LB unit.
Yep, and a little depth at cb….

Both points made thus far are "on point."

However, I'd argue that past "transitions" at LB that turned out for the worst were largely a result of extreme inexperience (in terms of game-experience) had be the new starters. If you look at 2014 and 2018 as prime examples ... the prior experience of the new starters was pretty nil. In '14, I really liked Alston ... he was a veteran backup, but simply lacked much game experience. He put up a valiant effort in '14 ... but he was also complemented by inexperience and/or guys with issues.

The '18 season was particularly interesting because the implementation of the CASH-spot helped diminish some of the blow due to the inexperience at LB. Furthermore, Hockaday was that years version of Alston and he put up a pretty valiant effort (and helped lead the group). However, all the same, the guys who played at LB that year possessed very little experience.

Of course, transition years at LB haven't always been horror shows. Some times the new guys stepping in hold down the fort ... and keep the Iowa defensive standard high. This obviously happed in the transition from '02 to '03 ... both Hodge and Greenway being SOs and brand-new starters. Of course, this is actually a pretty poor example, because Norm was one hell of a LB-guru. However, if you look to more recent precedent, the LB groups in '20 and '21 were surprisingly decent ... and their context wasn't that dissimilar to the one we're facing in '23. In '20, Nick Niemann was the veteran presence ... but his prior career production had been pretty pedestrian. However, all the same, Nick had a very strong SR campaign and was a great leader. Illness robbed us of seeing more of Campbell that year ... but he still rotated with Benson at the WILL spot. Benson really jumped on the scene that year - I'd agree with Jack, that Benson definitely had been an underrated Hawkeye throughout his career.

Anyhow, look to the next year ... the situation felt pretty good with guys like Campbell and Benson ... but really, those guys didn't have a ton of prior experience. After all, the '20 season was abbreviated. On top of that, as I alluded before, we really didn't get to see Jack that much. And, due to injury, Jacobs had received a lot of camp-based hype ... but we hadn't really seen him on the field.

Turned out, the '20 and '21 defenses were pretty good (all things considered). The '21 incarnation was somewhat hampered by how green the DL was ... however, all the same, the strength of our back-end helped make up for it (with all the INTs we got that year).

Yep, and a little depth at cb….
Agreed ... cb depth still MAY be an issue. However, I think that it's a good thing that both Heinz and Hall saw the field last year. That's going to help our depth and help those guys in the maturation process.

On top of that, Lee has jumped onto the depth chart ... so that points to the fact that young guys can rise!

I'm quite bullish about Nestor and Tate ... versatile DB recruits in the '23 recruiting class. Lastly, you never know with older guys, once they overcome injuries ... Deasfernandes could follow the trail blazed by Michael Ojemudia. As I said ... you never know!

Anyhow, what I DO know is that Jermari Harris and Cooper DeJean are going to be one hell of a starting duo! I also know that we didn't see the best from TJ Hall last year ... I'm sure he's hungry to improve!

As a parting note ... having a veteran FS on the back-end is usually a settling influence. The communication is usually better ... and guys are put in their place better. Thus, when a young guy has to go in at CB ... it will help them to have Quinn there, making sure that they're properly situated.

If given the choice of picking a defensive unit to have the most question marks, I’m picking the LB unit every time. A strong D line can make up for a lot of inadequacies. The secondary would be my second choice to have as a strong unit.

However, Campbell was not only great against the run, he was excellent in pass coverage. There was going to be a drop off in that unit no matter what just by losing him.

Agreed ... cb depth still MAY be an issue. However, I think that it's a good thing that both Heinz and Hall saw the field last year. That's going to help our depth and help those guys in the maturation process.

On top of that, Lee has jumped onto the depth chart ... so that points to the fact that young guys can rise!

I'm quite bullish about Nestor and Tate ... versatile DB recruits in the '23 recruiting class. Lastly, you never know with older guys, once they overcome injuries ... Deasfernandes could follow the trail blazed by Michael Ojemudia. As I said ... you never know!

Anyhow, what I DO know is that Jermari Harris and Cooper DeJean are going to be one hell of a starting duo! I also know that we didn't see the best from TJ Hall last year ... I'm sure he's hungry to improve!

As a parting note ... having a veteran FS on the back-end is usually a settling influence. The communication is usually better ... and guys are put in their place better. Thus, when a young guy has to go in at CB ... it will help them to have Quinn there, making sure that they're properly situated.
If Heinz sees the field for important snaps we’re in trouble. He’s not athletic enough to be a CB. Hall was more a victim of inexperience rather than athleticism.

If Heinz sees the field for important snaps we’re in trouble. He’s not athletic enough to be a CB. Hall was more a victim of inexperience rather than athleticism.

I’ve heard Heinz is extremely athletic and I’ll make a prediction right now…(no I’m not advocating for him to start) he will ultimately be another of an extremely long list of white, Iowa walk-ons who are way faster and more athletic than our fans think!

This was a concern of mine last year, and still is. With that said….Homer alluded to this already.

The defensive line in front of them has often times been just as important, if not more so to help acclimate inexperienced linebackers.

Also, in the past when we really had issues is when we were decimated, two and three deep at the linebacker position!

I will add they are extremely high on Karson Sharar and Fisher has been very serviceable!

On a corollary note our defense has been outstanding, but they haven’t been “perfect” and we don’t necessarily need them to be perfect, just steady and opportunistic!!

Parker will have Iowa's defense in the top 10 in terms of efficiency once again. They will have to carry the load for the offense once again. Wash, rinse, repeat.

My one reservation about the defense is it’s so stacked, most portal guys are going to be like, “I want to start.” Besides a replacement all conference ACC linebacker that will step in for Jack, that normally doesn’t happen.
On offense it’s more of a, “Why on earth would I want to be a part of that right now.”

My one reservation about the defense is it’s so stacked, most portal guys are going to be like, “I want to start.” Besides a replacement all conference ACC linebacker that will step in for Jack, that normally doesn’t happen.
On offense it’s more of a, “Why on earth would I want to be a part of that right now.”

Sadly that is true! But we do have cool uniforms, good weight training, a solid reputation….

Just not on O….doh!!

Yeah, I mean Kirk doesn't crank out top OL! He knows nothing about OL play.

Yeah, I mean Kirk doesn't crank out top OL! He knows nothing about OL play.
I agree. It’s strange we can’t seem to get/retain/keep recruits or portal guys at offensive line right now. More so in the portal, iowa still recruits well at o line. Hasn’t been a problem in the past.

First off, what specifically do you know about the athleticism of Heinz? I honestly don't know much specifically about his athleticism. However, I do know that once Phil implemented a match-up zone against Nebraska with Moss on Palmer ... Heinz did his job and wasn't a liability.

Supposing that Heinz is a partial liability in terms of speed/athleticism (which is a rude supposition, IMO) ... then if he's on the field, does the opponent have guys who can leverage that mismatch? If you look at recruiting, Nebraska has way out-recruited Iowa at WR ... and yet only by shifting Moss on their main guy, Phil was able to quell the bleeding. When we had BOTH of our starting CBs healthy against Ohio State - the mighty Buckeyes weren't able to leverage the coverage mismatches you'd expect (given their "talent"-level). Given that not a ton of teams have Ohio State's level of WR (and QB) talent ... the implication being that it may be harder to exploit a guy in Phil's secondary IF the guy can consistently execute his job. Our scheme is just "built" that way ... having zone-eyes, good communication, and guys who do their jobs ... you can methodically move the ball against them, but it's hard to truly "exploit" them. All the while ... those zone-eyes still have a great chance of nabbing a few picks along the way.

Anyhow, I'd certainly prefer to having guys like TJ Hall, Nestor, Tate, or Lee elevating their game and rising above Heinz ... but that is me just being a little prejudiced against a walk-on ... it's marginally informed by concrete facts. I think that we all will ultimately (and happily) defer to Phil's judgement. As we've seen through the years ... walk-ons have done some pretty tremendous things for us in the secondary!

LBs will be solid, no worries there. Higgins isn't Campbell, but he will be in the right place on time to make the plays a LB should make.

They cash spot is interesting because it's a playmaker's position and De Jean is the best playmaker. But if De Jean is at Cash, that puts Hall in at CB. If Castro is a better player than Hall (I suspect he is but things can change from November to August), then maybe it's better to have him at Cash and leave De Jean at CB to keep the best players on the field. After the Nebraska debacle, Hall will be tested early and often anytime he is in the game.

LBs will be solid, no worries there. Higgins isn't Campbell, but he will be in the right place on time to make the plays a LB should make.

They cash spot is interesting because it's a playmaker's position and De Jean is the best playmaker. But if De Jean is at Cash, that puts Hall in at CB. If Castro is a better player than Hall (I suspect he is but things can change from November to August), then maybe it's better to have him at Cash and leave De Jean at CB to keep the best players on the field. After the Nebraska debacle, Hall will be tested early and often anytime he is in the game.
I thought Castro played really well at the Cash last season. If he can keep that up, then you can play Higgins and Jackson at linebacker. That’s a squad.

I agree. It’s strange we can’t seem to get/retain/keep recruits or portal guys at offensive line right now. More so in the portal, iowa still recruits well at o line. Hasn’t been a problem in the past.
It's mind numbing I know. I don't get it, but it seems Iowa is comfortable taking the 3 stars that want to come here and developing them. 5 star OL are very rare as we saw when Bama picked ours. I don't know how many 4 star OL there are out there in any given year coming out of high school. You would think some decent mid-level non-power 5 and lower level power 5 would have some interest in moving up. Look at the UNI OT that went first round last year. Are there any more like him floating around where schools just missed on a dude coming out of high school.

My reservation for the defense is the offense. Will the defense be on the field as much as they were last year because the offense can’t get first downs and move the ball forward?

Hall should be made to play early. it’s almost a given that he will have to contribute this year and i would rather he get tested early per a deliberate plan rather than inserting him as a last resort due to circumstances.

I'm a huge fan of Tate. Kid's going to be a good one. We got some solid db's/ cash guys in 23 class.

First off, what specifically do you know about the athleticism of Heinz? I honestly don't know much specifically about his athleticism. However, I do know that once Phil implemented a match-up zone against Nebraska with Moss on Palmer ... Heinz did his job and wasn't a liability.

Supposing that Heinz is a partial liability in terms of speed/athleticism (which is a rude supposition, IMO) ... then if he's on the field, does the opponent have guys who can leverage that mismatch? If you look at recruiting, Nebraska has way out-recruited Iowa at WR ... and yet only by shifting Moss on their main guy, Phil was able to quell the bleeding. When we had BOTH of our starting CBs healthy against Ohio State - the mighty Buckeyes weren't able to leverage the coverage mismatches you'd expect (given their "talent"-level). Given that not a ton of teams have Ohio State's level of WR (and QB) talent ... the implication being that it may be harder to exploit a guy in Phil's secondary IF the guy can consistently execute his job. Our scheme is just "built" that way ... having zone-eyes, good communication, and guys who do their jobs ... you can methodically move the ball against them, but it's hard to truly "exploit" them. All the while ... those zone-eyes still have a great chance of nabbing a few picks along the way.

Anyhow, I'd certainly prefer to having guys like TJ Hall, Nestor, Tate, or Lee elevating their game and rising above Heinz ... but that is me just being a little prejudiced against a walk-on ... it's marginally informed by concrete facts. I think that we all will ultimately (and happily) defer to Phil's judgement. As we've seen through the years ... walk-ons have done some pretty tremendous things for us in the secondary!
I suppose I’m basing his (relative) lack of athleticism because he’s a walk-on and the fact he was given a 10-15 yard cushion once he got in. I’m sure that was PP telling him you’re only job is not let happen to Hall happen to you.

I suppose I’m basing his (relative) lack of athleticism because he’s a walk-on and the fact he was given a 10-15 yard cushion once he got in. I’m sure that was PP telling him you’re only job is not let happen to Hall happen to you.
Very fair.

My guess is that at that point, Hall was shaken. A young guy, in that situation, they're still not good at flushing bad plays. When you have trouble flushing bad plays ... you can lose your focus and you aren't necessarily as likely to consistently execute your responsibilities.

Phil wasn't putting Heinz in the same situations as Hall. When Hall was getting isolated on Palmer ... the Huskers were then smartly exploiting that match-up. By the time Heinz took over, I believe that Phil had already decided to match up on Palmer with Moss. Thus, Heinz was likely told to play his responsibility and make sure that he keeps everything in front of him (hence all the cushion).

I hope you are right. Hall was abused in the Neb game last year, but what Iowa cb who played that early in their career wasn’t? Riley Moss had a few bad games early and he turned out ok…
That WR from Nebraska has 4.3 speed. I put alot of the blame on our safeties on those long pass plays. 🔥 us multiple times, poor adjustments made.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT