ADVERTISEMENT

Would you take Iowa’s defense…

JerseyCityHawki

HR All-American
Oct 28, 2019
Hackensack, New Jersey
Over any other BIG defense? And if so … why? With what’s coming back this coming year I would maybe consider OSU’s or Michigan’s defense but most likely I would take Iowa's defense because of the talent and what we have returning plus the factor of Parker heading up or defense.

Offense is another story or (novel)

Over any other BIG defense? And if so … why? With what’s coming back this coming year I would maybe consider OSU’s or Michigan’s defense but most likely I would take Iowa's defense because of the talent and what we have returning plus the factor of Parker heading up or defense.

I like our defense but not sure on our depth yet, so last year's Michigan defense over OSU if I had to pick. Michigan was calling OSU soft.

I think it's a push between Iowa and Ohio State. Iowa has the edge on player age/experience, and OSU is returning 9 starters and has a natural roster edge in depth.

Michigan lost 3 DL starters (although they still have the beast that is Mason Graham), both starting LBs are gone along with two starting DBs. Plus, they have a new DC since Minter left. Look for them to struggle early on (they play Texas week 2 and USC week 4) as communication usually isn't very smooth in a new system.

PSU is a dark horse. Plenty of talent, but more of a speed / finesse defense that can be overwhelmed by more physical teams.

JMO

I think it's a push between Iowa and Ohio State. Iowa has the edge on player age/experience, and OSU is returning 9 starters and has a natural roster edge in depth.

Michigan lost 3 DL starters (although they still have the beast that is Mason Graham), both starting LBs are gone along with two starting DBs. Plus, they have a new DC since Minter left. Look for them to struggle early on (they play Texas week 2 and USC week 4) as communication usually isn't very smooth in a new system.

PSU is a dark horse. Plenty of talent, but more of a speed / finesse defense that can be overwhelmed by more physical teams.

JMO
Couldn’t of said it any better than that Bravo

I'd have to put us 3rd for now - the biggest disappointment for last year's D was the lack of sacks/pressures, which correspondingly led to a drop in forced turnovers last year. That's really picking nits tho.
I respect your thought, but disagree.

And here's why.

Iowa's defense didn't change.

What changed is the way that decent/good teams played Iowa's defense.

Go back and watch the film. It was obvious.

in the 4 losses Iowa lost the turnover battle 13-0. And should have lost to Illinois.

And why do you think that was?

Because good opponents were conservative on 3rd and mid and long, knowing the worst case they punt, would get the ball back fairly quickly and have another shot to go downfield.

Even if the punt was a touchback, Iowa was handcuffed by their own doing and would hand it back with only 2:00 running off the game clock.

So, teams mitigated and minimized risk, avoiding to throw into the teeth of the Iowa defense in obvious situations.

The disappointment from Iowa's lack of turnovers came directly from opponents playing smart football and counting on Iowa's offense to fail.

They out Iowa'd Iowa.

I'm not going to argue with you guys that you should take Michigan's D...just going to give you some facts and clear up some misinformation:

1) Our DL/edge was super deap last year so it looks like we lost a lot. But look at who Michigan had on the field, at the end of games, during the stretch last year...4 of the 4/5 (we often played 3 down DL/interior with two edges and will again*). If you don't believe me take a look at one play...the final play against Bama...Stewart pushes the OT back 3 yards into the Bama QB, Graham and Grant crash the middle and Moore cuts off the wide side edge. All 4 are back along with another regular rotation DT and a couple guys who were true frosh, last year, that slowly got worked in as the season progressed and the situation allowed (we also have a top ranked edge then freshman recruit with a year in the system now). Our 3 best were all true-sophs with Moore and Grant (especially Grant) having more upside than Graham...these are big guys who took some time showing which is expected...they are now upperclassmen. Two of the guys we lost weren't chopped liver but listed as starters because they were seniors and while they played the 1st series they weren't always in on the last.

2) Yes we lost both starters but the thing that worries me most is those two played better as a tandem than they did individually. It was like they were in each other's brains. That is hard to duplicate. But the two guys "next up" are quite experienced. Hausman was a part of a 3 man rotation and in some games played more snaps than Barrett depending on match-up. Our big transfer portal get was a freshman AA two years ago (not a surprise as he was a high 4*) and missed a few games last year so no awards...but he was the best player on Maryland's D when they played us...gave us fits...so we went out and got him when he hit the portal. We also have Rolder waiting in the wings who got worked into the rotation, late in the year, after sitting with an injury (we waited to play him to preserve his RS and because we didn't need him). If the name sounds familiar it's because he was a late riser (no star to 4* during his HS senior year) that you guys went super hard after.

3) Baring an injury, Will Johnson will be a 1st round pick at CB. We return our 3 top safeties including Rod Moore who made all big ten despite missing the first quarter of the season. Yes losing Mike(y) at nickel is a blow and we have an open spot at the other outside corner. The heir at nickel is a kid we've been waiting on for a few years who had some injury set backs but played well in a backup role...yes he is the kid Sparty jumped in the tunnel (two years ago) and he got his revenge by having a pick 6 against them last year. At the field corner spot we have two guys battling who were true freshman last year. One got his feet wet as a backup last year and the other was the highest ranked recruit in that class. It is expected Michigan will bring someone in from the spring portal as insurance/competition

4) Someone brought up losing Minter (DC) to the NFL. I had a similar conversation on this board a couple years ago when we lost Coach Mac to the NFL (he's now the newly minted HC of the Seahawks)...some claimed Michigan's D would take a step back and I pointed out that we hired a new guy (Minter) who came from the same staff we got Mac from...and then our D actually got better. So what did we do now? We hired their former boss, the (former Ravens and Giants DC) who created the system they ran and made him the highest paid assistant in all of CFB. He will have some different wrinkles but the returning players all ready know how to run it. Could end up being a case of the students becoming greater than the master but he was the teacher. This was the * above btw...

So those are the facts...I will add that this D certainly won't be as deep...some guys on the DL might be asked play to more than 30 snaps a game...but look at the core Michigan brings back and not what they lost...I'm personally way more worried about our O and if we have a QB

I'm not going to argue with you guys that you should take Michigan's D...just going to give you some facts and clear up some misinformation:

1) Our DL/edge was super deap last year so it looks like we lost a lot. But look at who Michigan had on the field, at the end of games, during the stretch last year...4 of the 4/5 (we often played 3 down DL/interior with two edges and will again*). If you don't believe me take a look at one play...the final play against Bama...Stewart pushes the OT back 3 yards into the Bama QB, Graham and Grant crash the middle and Moore cuts off the wide side edge. All 4 are back along with another regular rotation DT and a couple guys who were true frosh, last year, that slowly got worked in as the season progressed and the situation allowed (we also have a top ranked edge then freshman recruit with a year in the system now). Our 3 best were all true-sophs with Moore and Grant (especially Grant) having more upside than Graham...these are big guys who took some time showing which is expected...they are now upperclassmen. Two of the guys we lost weren't chopped liver but listed as starters because they were seniors and while they played the 1st series they weren't always in on the last.

2) Yes we lost both starters but the thing that worries me most is those two played better as a tandem than they did individually. It was like they were in each other's brains. That is hard to duplicate. But the two guys "next up" are quite experienced. Hausman was a part of a 3 man rotation and in some games played more snaps than Barrett depending on match-up. Our big transfer portal get was a freshman AA two years ago (not a surprise as he was a high 4*) and missed a few games last year so no awards...but he was the best player on Maryland's D when they played us...gave us fits...so we went out and got him when he hit the portal. We also have Rolder waiting in the wings who got worked into the rotation, late in the year, after sitting with an injury (we waited to play him to preserve his RS and because we didn't need him). If the name sounds familiar it's because he was a late riser (no star to 4* during his HS senior year) that you guys went super hard after.

3) Baring an injury, Will Johnson will be a 1st round pick at CB. We return our 3 top safeties including Rod Moore who made all big ten despite missing the first quarter of the season. Yes losing Mike(y) at nickel is a blow and we have an open spot at the other outside corner. The heir at nickel is a kid we've been waiting on for a few years who had some injury set backs but played well in a backup role...yes he is the kid Sparty jumped in the tunnel (two years ago) and he got his revenge by having a pick 6 against them last year. At the field corner spot we have two guys battling who were true freshman last year. One got his feet wet as a backup last year and the other was the highest ranked recruit in that class. It is expected Michigan will bring someone in from the spring portal as insurance/competition

4) Someone brought up losing Minter (DC) to the NFL. I had a similar conversation on this board a couple years ago when we lost Coach Mac to the NFL (he's now the newly minted HC of the Seahawks)...some claimed Michigan's D would take a step back and I pointed out that we hired a new guy (Minter) who came from the same staff we got Mac from...and then our D actually got better. So what did we do now? We hired their former boss, the (former Ravens and Giants DC) who created the system they ran and made him the highest paid assistant in all of CFB. He will have some different wrinkles but the returning players all ready know how to run it. Could end up being a case of the students becoming greater than the master but he was the teacher. This was the * above btw...

So those are the facts...I will add that this D certainly won't be as deep...some guys on the DL might be asked play to more than 30 snaps a game...but look at the core Michigan brings back and not what they lost...I'm personally way more worried about our O and if we have a QB
Thanks for outlining your thoughts, ellobo.

You certainly have a deeper understanding of the roster and machinations of the Michigan defense than I do.

I never doubt the depth and talent that Michigan brings.

But I do question continuity and communication.

I will make the point that Michigan could very well end up 2-2 after their first four. They will be facing the top two offensive minds in college football, albeit in both in Ann Arbor. So you've got that going for you. :)

You get Texas with Sarkisian and Ewers week 2. You will get USC , Riley and Moss week 4 (they will have played LSU to kick off the season and have a BYE week before facing Michigan). It will be fun to watch.

Michigan started 0-2 after their '97 championship, pre-transfer portal, so a slip is not unprecedented or unthinkable irrespective of roster talent.

JMO

And here's why.

in the 4 losses Iowa lost the turnover battle 13-0. And should have lost to Illinois.

Because good opponents were conservative on 3rd and mid and long, knowing the worst case they punt, would get the ball back fairly quickly and have another shot to go downfield.

Even if the punt was a touchback, Iowa was handcuffed by their own doing and would hand it back with only 2:00 running off the game clock.

So, teams mitigated and minimized risk, avoiding to throw into the teeth of the Iowa defense in obvious situations.

The disappointment from Iowa's lack of turnovers came directly from opponents playing smart football and counting on Iowa's offense to fail.

They out Iowa'd Iowa.
For the most part you’re right. Part of that “complementary” football that cut against us last year.

In games where Iowa was playing with a lead tho - we did struggle out to put pressure on opposing offenses when they were chasing the game. There were also a number of opportunities the defense did have to force turnovers but guys dropped the picks for example.

None of this is meant as a knock on the D. Given the limitations they faced given how broken the offense was they were excellent. I do think they were JUST this side of being dominant.

Lost a coach after like 3 weeks?

If we're playing Tennessee then no........

I like our defense but not sure on our depth yet, so last year's Michigan defense over OSU if I had to pick. Michigan was calling OSU soft.
I actually think OSU outplayed Michigan last year outside of the QB play. Their QB - McCord - made some huge mistakes when it counted including that interception when they were driving for the winning score. JJ McCarthy was clearly the best in that game

I actually think OSU outplayed Michigan last year outside of the QB play. Their QB - McCord - made some huge mistakes when it counted including that interception when they were driving for the winning score. JJ McCarthy was clearly the best in that game
I'd have to rewatch the game but I remember having a load of silver bullets and thinking O$U D was giving up in the 4th.

Last edited:
Reactions: ellobo
I'd have to rewatch the game but I remember having a load of silver bullets and thinking O$U D was giving up towards on
Those were 2 evenly match teams it's just that OSU shot themselves in the foot several times they had momentum. . Plus - and it kills me to say this - Captain Weirdo (Harbaugh) was the best HC in the B1G

New coach or otherwise I'd pick Michigan. Otherwise the Hawks.
This year? Michigan got wiped out on offense including their entire OL which many considered to be the best in the country. OSU returns a ton including almost their entire defense. Most early predictions have Oregon (that sounds strange) and OSU as the B1G favorites. Watch out for PSU this year.

As for Iowa, all I need to know is Phil Parker is back heading the D. Enough said.......you'll win a bunch of games with Parker whom I consider to be the best DC in the country

Last edited:

Well said… I love the way Michigan plays defense as it resembles Iowa defense… you guys have a ton of depth and I expect to see UM right back in the hunt for another BTC and national championship this coming year. BUT… if you give Parker the players and depth that you guys have I would definitely take Iowa … can you imagine that… an OSU offense with an Iowa/Michigan defense?

Lost a coach after like 3 weeks?
Yes...DUI (OWI)...he technically resigned but it was one of those "we'll give you the chance to resign and save your career or we will fire you." He made a bad decision to get behind the wheel. Not sure what your point is? Is it that Michigan didn't sweep things under the rug? Is it that Michigan knew about his DUIs in the past and still hired him even though he hadnt had an incident in 13 years (when he was in college)...god forbid you give a guy a chance who had a couple incidents while in college...

Reactions: RagnarLothbrok
This year? Michigan got wiped out on offense including their entire OL which many considered to be the best in the country. OSU returns a ton including almost their entire defense. Most early predictions have Oregon (that sounds strange) and OSU as the B1G favorites. Watch out for PSU this year.

As for Iowa, all I need to know is Phil Parker is back heading the D. Enough said.......you'll win a bunch of games with Parker whom I consider to be the best DC in the country
It sounds like he is saying on D. You are correct that Michigan has a ton of questions on O and because of that I wouldn't suggest betting on Umich for the BTT let alone the NC. But this thread is about D and I'm just trying to give information...and the fact is Michigan has a strong core returning on that side (well unless we get murdered during the spring portal and our players are getting some pretty ridiculous offers).

It sounds like he is saying on D. You are correct that Michigan has a ton of questions on O and because of that I wouldn't suggest betting on Umich for the BTT let alone the NC. But this thread is about D and I'm just trying to give information...and the fact is Michigan has a strong core returning on that side (well unless we get murdered during the spring portal and our players are getting some pretty ridiculous offers).

And here's why.

They out Iowa'd Iowa.
Never thought of that but so true. That’s exactly how the boat rower beat us. He did exactly that.

Reactions: KFsdisciple
McCord had the game he had because Michigan's DL was in his face all game...and they couldn't run the ball...forget the flashy plays made by the outside guys (well Marvin Harrison...he's amazing...he made some great plays)...Michigan also protected the QB and got yards on the ground when needed...the game is still won in the trenches...

This is the main reason our players said they were soft...as was mentioned above by your fellow Hawkeye

Last edited:
McCord had the game he had because Michigan's DL was in his face all game...and they couldn't run the ball...forget the flashy plays made by the outside guys (well Marvin Harrison...he's amazing...he made some great plays)...Michigan also protected the QB and got yards on the ground when needed...the game is still won in the trenches...

This is the main reason our players said they were soft...as was mentioned above by your fellow Hawkeye
I have no dog in the UM-OSU fight but Michigan is the one team I'll be watching closely this year. I still remember that great 1997 NC Michigan team (and defense) - under Lloyd Carr - and thought they would dominate the Big Ten for years but then they disappeared for 20 years or so. Losing Harbaugh was a huge blow (obviously) and I actually think that UM could lose 3 or 4 games in 2024 with that new HC. The UM 2024 schedule is BRUTAL - USC, Texas, Oregon, OSU and possibly Washington - and all will be gunning for Michigan. That's 3 of the top teams (Oregon, Texas, and OSU) that are in the top 5 or so teams mentioned as a possible 2024 NC team.

Or Michigan, and PSU!
I contend that we played fairly decent defense against them, and actually better against Michigan than against Penn State, and not just from a "duh because score" standpoint, but from a "duh because playing best football at the end of the regular season" standpoint.

If Iowa had a real offense, and not cardboard cutouts, Michigan would've been sweating profusely in that game.

I contend that we played fairly decent defense against them, and actually better against Michigan than against Penn State, and not just from a "duh because score" standpoint, but from a "duh because playing best football at the end of the regular season" standpoint.

If Iowa had a real offense, and not cardboard cutouts, Michigan would've been sweating profusely in that game.
Agree, but the out come of each are what they are. Just like last year, here's hope for a better offense!

I would. Maybe another team edges them out, but it wouldn't be by much. This years offense literally can no longer get worse, so with any improvement they finally get a 'complementary' assist from.the offense for a change. Keep in mind how much they were on the field due to the galaxy's worst offense in the blowout losses AND even the wins. The defense's yards and points per play average was substantially better than the per game average because of it. In the Penn State game alone they were on the field for the equivelent of nearly 7 quarters. They gave up 31 points, but that realistically was over nearly two games worth of defense against a good team.

That’s a low blow and EMITC- is a super knowledgeable fan and has deep Iowa roots - he’s as good as it gets!
Low blow to @EvilMonkeyInTheCloset - you really need to apologize for that one! Not only is he insightful and knowledgeable Iowa HAWKEYE fan through the thick and thin he’s hilarious and keeps shit clean … no need to attack him!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT