ADVERTISEMENT

My theory on comedic greats suicides/ ODs.

FAUlty Gator

HB Legend
Oct 27, 2017
Using these 5.

Phil Hartman
Robin Williams
John Belushi
Chris Farley
Mitch Hedberg

I think the one thing they all had in common was that they always had to be “on”. They were on in a constant state of judging themselves from moment to moment. And the drugs or suicide was the only way to escape that constant pressure they put on themselves. And I think ultimately there an underlying “I’m a phony” syndrome they carried with them.

I’ve heard stories from SNL writers like Conan who said Phil Hartman acted exactly like he did in a lot of skits when he’d pop into the writers room. He had no more original personality. I could see how that would cause that kind of escapist behavior.

Sad though because they’re all brilliant.

Using these 5.

Phil Hartman
Robin Williams
John Belushi
Chris Farley
Mitch Hedberg

I think the one thing they all had in common was that they always had to be “on”. They were on in a constant state of judging themselves from moment to moment. And the drugs or suicide was the only way to escape that constant pressure they put on themselves. And I think ultimately there an underlying “I’m a phony” syndrome they carried with them.

I’ve heard stories from SNL writers like Conan who said Phil Hartman acted exactly like he did in a lot of skits when he’d pop into the writers room. He had no more original personality. I could see how that would cause that kind of escapist behavior.

Overthinking it. They all had demons except Phil. This isn’t uncommon for any occupation.

Using these 5.

Phil Hartman
Robin Williams
John Belushi
Chris Farley
Mitch Hedberg

Didn’t williams and hedberg have serious health issues?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT