ADVERTISEMENT

My whole life I’ve believed Reffs, don’t cost games

The refs were bad but they can't put 59 first half points on the board for a team which is what LSU had along with a 17 pt lead. They shot lights out, that was the difference
This. The refs were bad, but they were bad both ways. Nobody tuned in to that game to see the stars spending extended minutes on the bench for ticky tac fouls no less. The T called on Clark was especially ridiculous so that stands out. They were roasted nationwide for that call...

Yes…but seriously. A guy standing completely still, and a guy takes a step and a half and runs you over ?!?! And you get the call…WTH?

I did see one a few weeks ago, where a guy tripped and fell down on top of the ball and they called a foul on a guy a full two steps ahead of him…

But this was unbelievable!!
I have no idea what a charge and block is any more. I have watched a defender totally set get ran over and they are called for blocking. Then I watch the defender running with the offensive one and move in front of him and its a charge! How many times did you see Iowa take it to the rim with a defender clinging to and pushing them..no call. We are in the vicinity and breath on them and its and 1.

I have no idea what a charge and block is any more. I have watched a defender totally set get ran over and they are called for blocking. Then I watch the defender running with the offensive one and move in front of him and its a charge! How many times did you see Iowa take it to the rim with a defender clinging to and pushing them..no call. We are in the vicinity and breath on them and its and 1.
Yep, as I've said they may as well just take out the flop rule. I really don't think I've ever seen that actually called. There was some mention in one of Iowa's game that Clark got the charge because the defender had the right to be moving sideways or some BS. They need to make the rules more concrete and take out the ambiguity. The defender MUST be set, or blocking. IF the defender is set and stays vertical, charging.

Yes, it’s sometimes hard to overcome, especially late, but it’s a part of the game you have to work through.

I don’t think I believe that anymore. This whole year men’s & women’s has been a disaster. And anyone watching the end of this Wiscy-PU game saw 2 of the worst calls I think I’ve ever seen.
As a HS basketball coach, I think about once every 2-3 years a game is officiated so poorly it costs a team a game. Every year I see a missed call that changes the outcome one way or another. This year we had a game where everyone in the gym, including the other team, but the 3 refs saw a ball kicked out of bounds by the opponent. We were up 1 with 10 seconds left. They inbound, boom, 3. Ballgame.

Reactions: cmhawks99
Yes, it’s sometimes hard to overcome, especially late, but it’s a part of the game you have to work through.

I don’t think I believe that anymore. This whole year men’s & women’s has been a disaster. And anyone watching the end of this Wiscy-PU game saw 2 of the worst calls I think I’ve ever seen.

Officiating inconsistencies and errors have unfairly affected games since the beginning of officiated sports.

Reactions: hawkeyeinmo
I've believed they're crooked for quite a while now. When I was at the women's championship game with only a few seconds left and it had been decide, the ref had a very depressed look and was shaking his head. That proved it to me.

I'm not understanding your comment - you mean the ref was depressed because he bet on the wrong team?

There is too much money at stake and too many desperate/shady/immoral people in this world to believe that at some time a game hasn’t been affected by a crooked ref. Is it commonplace ? Of course not. But I would bet it’s happened.
I agree with this.

Here is my assessment of the referee categories.

1. Very good ref. Get's calls right almost all the time.
2. Decent ref, but makes too many mistakes
3. Simply a poor referee, also has a bias in favor of some teams
4. A crooked referee on the take

The refs good enough to be in (1) are in the NBA. I believe most college officials fall into (2) and (3). I assume there are a few in (4). I pray they get caught and severely punished.

There is one more category many believe in but I do not.

5. Crooked referees taking instructions from TV or the conference as to who should win.

There would have to be too many people involved for that to be kept a secret. I don't think it's happening.

I'm not understanding your comment - you mean the ref was depressed because he bet on the wrong team?

I agree with this.

The refs good enough to be in (1) are in the NBA. I believe most college officials fall into (2) and (3). I assume there are a few in (4). I pray they get caught and severely punished.

5. Crooked referees taking instructions from TV or the conference as to who should win.

There would have to be too many people involved for that to be kept a secret. I don't think it's happening.
I'd say #3.

I agree with this.

If you would have seen this guy's face it would have made you mad to think that he didn't want the Hawks to win. The refs shouldn't have a preference on who wins a game.

OP must not be very old. Anyone that watched the 2005 Michigan football game or the 2006 Outback Bowl would know for a fact that refs cost teams games, in those cases corrupt refs. Heck even the 2023 women’s national championship had incompetent reffing significantly impacting the game.
2006 game was so bad the NCAA changed their rules on what crews ref power 5 games.

I get Edey is difficult to officiate, but he seems to get away with murder. He stands in the lane for 10 seconds every possession too. 32-9 free throw differential and Purdue still loses. Not sure I’ll take them to go far in the Dance.
UCONN and east coast bias are having no trouble with Purdue. Big 10 is only allowed to make cash and never win the title. Bridesmaid and never a Bride

OP must not be very old. Anyone that watched the 2005 Michigan football game or the 2006 Outback Bowl would know for a fact that refs cost teams games, in those cases corrupt refs. Heck even the 2023 women’s national championship had incompetent reffing significantly impacting the game.
You cited two of the top three worst calls in Iowa football history. Thanks for the memories ; )

Reactions: Grumpy Old Hawk
Yes those inconsistencies favor the same general teams throughout history. That is why for example the Lakers and Celtics have so many titles and blur bloods exist.
Yep, had nothing to do with the Celtics and Lakers having better players than everyone else. And UConn just rolled through the tournament by the biggest margin in history. And they lost their top 3 players from last year. They have the best culture and best coach in the game right now. Nothing to do with the refs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT