ADVERTISEMENT

Naomi Klein on Robert F Kennedy jr.

Nov 28, 2010
Maryland
Lots of interesting points in this piece. Including speculation that RJKjr could be angling for a role in the next Trump admin, or even a spot on the ticket.

Imagine a TRUMP-KENNEDY ticket.

This part on the environment caught my attention, because I have been thinking of him as good in this arena.

Because RFK Jr is so eloquent about pollution, many assume he would support policies that would tame the raging climate crisis. While that may have been true in the past, the facts have radically changed. In recent interviews, he claims climate science is too complex and abstract to explain and that, “I can’t independently verify that.” He also says that the climate crisis is being used to push through “totalitarian controls on society” orchestrated “by the World Economic Forum, Bill Gates, and all of these megabillionaires” – a green-tinged reboot of the same, all-too familiar conspiracy theories he rode to pandemic stardom, when he opposed virtually every Covid public health measure, from masks to vaccines to closures. Now he is marshaling the same arguments against climate action.​
He told Breaking Points: “In my campaign I’m not going to be talking a lot about climate. Why is that? Because climate has become a crisis like Covid that the Davos groups and other totalitarian elements in our society have used as a pretext for clamping down totalitarian controls.”​
This about-face has earned him friends among the most prominent and dangerous climate-change deniers, including the Republican-aide-turned-disinformation-dealer Marc Morano, who says Kennedy is “undergoing a genuine transformation over his views on the climate agenda.” In podcast interviews, especially with rightwing hosts, RFK Jr now says he would leave energy policy to the market and describes himself as “a radical free marketeer.” It should go without saying that the markets are incapable of decarbonizing our economies in anything like the narrow slice of time left.​

more here (no paywall)

• Wow
Reactions: Torg
Lots of interesting points in this piece. Including speculation that RJKjr could be angling for a role in the next Trump admin, or even a spot on the ticket.

Imagine a TRUMP-KENNEDY ticket.

This part on the environment caught my attention, because I have been thinking of him as good in this arena.

Because RFK Jr is so eloquent about pollution, many assume he would support policies that would tame the raging climate crisis. While that may have been true in the past, the facts have radically changed. In recent interviews, he claims climate science is too complex and abstract to explain and that, “I can’t independently verify that.” He also says that the climate crisis is being used to push through “totalitarian controls on society” orchestrated “by the World Economic Forum, Bill Gates, and all of these megabillionaires” – a green-tinged reboot of the same, all-too familiar conspiracy theories he rode to pandemic stardom, when he opposed virtually every Covid public health measure, from masks to vaccines to closures. Now he is marshaling the same arguments against climate action.​
He told Breaking Points: “In my campaign I’m not going to be talking a lot about climate. Why is that? Because climate has become a crisis like Covid that the Davos groups and other totalitarian elements in our society have used as a pretext for clamping down totalitarian controls.”​
This about-face has earned him friends among the most prominent and dangerous climate-change deniers, including the Republican-aide-turned-disinformation-dealer Marc Morano, who says Kennedy is “undergoing a genuine transformation over his views on the climate agenda.” In podcast interviews, especially with rightwing hosts, RFK Jr now says he would leave energy policy to the market and describes himself as “a radical free marketeer.” It should go without saying that the markets are incapable of decarbonizing our economies in anything like the narrow slice of time left.​

more here (no paywall)

How did he fall so far from the tree?

Reactions: h-hawk
Like I said. I've seen enough of your takes here, "independent"
You may be too entrenched in echo chambers to see it but what she writes here is spot on …

“He also is tapping into rage at the Democratic party itself, which feels to many like a hostage situation. Inside its logic, there seems to be no acceptable way of challenging entrenched power. Not open primaries, not incumbent primaries, not third parties, not getting in and trying to change the system from the inside. All, we have been told since as long as I can remember, will help to elect Republicans. Of course this political straitjacket provokes rebellion, as well as some irrational behavior.”

You may be too entrenched in echo chambers to see it but what she writes here is spot on …

“He also is tapping into rage at the Democratic party itself, which feels to many like a hostage situation. Inside its logic, there seems to be no acceptable way of challenging entrenched power. Not open primaries, not incumbent primaries, not third parties, not getting in and trying to change the system from the inside. All, we have been told since as long as I can remember, will help to elect Republicans. Of course this political straitjacket provokes rebellion, as well as some irrational behavior.”
I’m not even sure what the hell that means. The Dems feel like “a hostage situation” while the GOP has ceded its legislative power to and is being frog-marched off a cliff by a tiny number of wingnut goofballs.

Great interview with Reason yesterday. I don’t think this guy is going away. Probably 3rd party if Dems push him away like they did Bernie.

• Haha
Reactions: BelemNole
Great interview with Reason yesterday. I don’t think this guy is going away. Probably 3rd party if Dems push him away like they did Bernie.

Dems gave Bernie chairmanship of budget committee in the Senate. They wouldn't give RFKJr herpes at this point. He won't have a constituency on the left with his existing public facing platform. He has very little to offer.

This is a good example of the RFKJr constituency:

20230630-155935.png

Liberal, Social Democrat, principled libertarian in Republican party, unprincipled libertarian in Libertarian Party. You have to be able to reconcile supporting all of these without having undergone any type of ideological conversion in order to make sense of RFKJr.

Reactions: SIXERS24
Can you imagine if anyone else did this with their core issue?

I want to discuss the debt and deficit, but the subject has been taken over by the Davos crowd, so I’ll ignore it.

This is a good example of the RFKJr constituency:

20230630-155935.png

Liberal, Social Democrat, principled libertarian in Republican party, unprincipled libertarian in Libertarian Party. You have to be able to reconcile supporting all of these without having undergone any type of ideological conversion in order to make sense of RFKJr.
This is an example of either someone who lies or someone who votes for lost causes without having any f’ing idea who he’s voting for. No sane person would support Bernie and then support Kennedy.

Reactions: TheCainer
This is an example of either someone who lies or someone who votes for lost causes without having any f’ing idea who he’s voting for. No sane person would support Bernie and then support Kennedy.
Just schizophrenic if he's telling the truth. It goes Dean, Paul, Johnson, Sanders, Kennedy. Like wut. Antiwar makes sense maybe but the he would say that instead of vibes and uniting the country.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT