ADVERTISEMENT

Nate Stanley will be highly coveted by NFL teams in 1-2 years.

Harbinger273

HR Heisman
Feb 17, 2016
Due to the QB situation in todays NFL, the need for durable, turnover limiting qb's to lead teams is high. I believe Stanley will progress nicely at Iowa and likely 2 years from now be a strongly desired prospect in the NFL draft. Look at the ascension of Josh Allen in the draft projections. He's prototypical, but I don't see him as the light it up gunslinger type. He hasn't blown away the passing records at the college level. Yet he's likely to go top 3. Though Stanleys sophomore campaign could be looked at as being rather pedestrian, real analysis indicates otherwise. He played conservatively and protected the football. 2 more years of this could easily put him in the first round of the draft. The emergence of some real threats at the receiver position could do wonders for Stanley. If he develops a better feel in the pocket, can scramble for several yards when necessary, and sharpen his touch and accuracy he will take major strides as well. Lets hope He and the team take no steps backward and both achieve big things in the coming years.

The pros will like Nate very much. My only gripe is the amount of time he takes in the pocket (watch Spencer Petras film, and see how fast he gets rid of it). The difference between the two (other than HS/College) is that Petras' WRs get separation, and Stanley's WRs don't! Our WR Coach must teach this new group of WRs how to get separation. Stanley can deliver the ball, but his time is limited; it's incumbent upon Hawkeye WRs to get physical, and get open quickly.. With the right group of NFL WRs, Nate will do outstanding.

Let's see how Kirk develops him. There hasn't been much development of qb's around here in quite some time. Hope he becomes all american but I'll have to see it from the kid and this coaching staff before I'm putting him in the NFL.

Due to the QB situation in todays NFL, the need for durable, turnover limiting qb's to lead teams is high. I believe Stanley will progress nicely at Iowa and likely 2 years from now be a strongly desired prospect in the NFL draft. Look at the ascension of Josh Allen in the draft projections. He's prototypical, but I don't see him as the light it up gunslinger type. He hasn't blown away the passing records at the college level. Yet he's likely to go top 3. Though Stanleys sophomore campaign could be looked at as being rather pedestrian, real analysis indicates otherwise. He played conservatively and protected the football. 2 more years of this could easily put him in the first round of the draft. The emergence of some real threats at the receiver position could do wonders for Stanley. If he develops a better feel in the pocket, can scramble for several yards when necessary, and sharpen his touch and accuracy he will take major strides as well. Lets hope He and the team take no steps backward and both achieve big things in the coming years.
I hope so, but I think Nate has a lot to prove yet on the field.. You may be jumping the gun alittle bit. Go Hawks!

Reactions: 24 so far
The pros will like Nate very much. My only gripe is the amount of time he takes in the pocket (watch Spencer Petras film, and see how fast he gets rid of it). The difference between the two (other than HS/College) is that Petras' WRs get separation, and Stanley's WRs don't! Our WR Coach must teach this new group of WRs how to get separation. Stanley can deliver the ball, but his time is limited; it's incumbent upon Hawkeye WRs to get physical, and get open quickly.. With the right group of NFL WRs, Nate will do outstanding.
Not remotely the same offense. Good grief!!

Anyone with a good understanding of why Josh Allen is projected as a top 3 qb in draft? Is it mainly hype, or was his Junior campaign enough? The last 2 years he has completed just 56% of his passes. His Jr. year he threw 28tds to 15 ints. Can't remember if he missed time with injury in 17 but he had just 1800 yds and 16 tds. I mean thats not exactly a great follow up season.

Speaks strongly to the state of the qb position in The League. How does this guy compare to Stanley? Does he do some specific things much better to separate himself? Stanley certainly has more to prove, but if he had 2 more seasons just like the last or even marginal improvement in each he would fight for the first round depending on the other qbs in the draft.

Anyone with a good understanding of why Josh Allen is projected as a top 3 qb in draft? Is it mainly hype, or was his Junior campaign enough? The last 2 years he has completed just 56% of his passes. His Jr. year he threw 28tds to 15 ints. Can't remember if he missed time with injury in 17 but he had just 1800 yds and 16 tds. I mean thats not exactly a great follow up season.

Speaks strongly to the state of the qb position in The League. How does this guy compare to Stanley? Does he do some specific things much better to separate himself? Stanley certainly has more to prove, but if he had 2 more seasons just like the last or even marginal improvement in each he would fight for the first round depending on the other qbs in the draft.
Just his physical tools

Reactions: Harbinger273

Arm strength.

And the NFL is full of dumb scouts that keep making the same mistakes.

Arm strength.

And the NFL is full of dumb scouts that keep making the same mistakes.
Well said. Stanley is listed at 6-4, 242, size the NFL loves. Josh Allen checked in the Combine at 6-5, 233. On a side note, MSU QB Brian Lewerke looks like he might have a Pro career ahead of him, too.

The word potential is all about josh Allen, strong arm could move well in the pocket and good size.. very unimpressive stats

Nate Stanley, good size,has a super strong arm. Good accuracy and a nice td-int ratio.. cons hasn't show great mobility, deep ball accuracy is a worry..

The word potential is all about josh Allen, strong arm could move well in the pocket and good size.. very unimpressive stats

Nate Stanley, good size,has a super strong arm. Good accuracy and a nice td-int ratio.. cons hasn't show great mobility, deep ball accuracy is a worry..

I wonder if Nate maybe lost 10-12 pounds would that help his running and mobility he still seems a tad chunky...

Let's see how Kirk develops him. There hasn't been much development of qb's around here in quite some time. Hope he becomes all american but I'll have to see it from the kid and this coaching staff before I'm putting him in the NFL.
This is mentioned on this site quite often, but is it really valid anymore? These guys must be doing something right. JR and CJ are in the league, and look like their going to stick. I do think Ruddock improved at Iowa, but for whatever reason, it seemed like there was a disconnect between him and some of his teammates. Its hard to measure CJ's last year, as he was way less the 100% from mid junior year all the way through his senior year. For whatever time Shimonek was at Iowa, he may have been progressing well, but he was not going to pass CJ. Pretty solid at Tech last season. Its pretty hard to say at this point that Stanley has not improved from his freshman to soph year. This will be a huge year for him, without question. I think bringing back KOK as a dedicated QB coach was a very solid move. Time will tell of course.....

KO'K has done a wonderful job with our QBs through the years. Banks, Tate and Stanzi were outstanding college QBs. In his first year back he produced a QB that tied a 32 year old team record for touchdowns and threw what, only interceptions? That was done with really bad receivers.

QB coaching is not the problem on this team. Develop a couple of big play WRs to go along with the outstanding TEs and Nate will have some monster stats.

This is mentioned on this site quite often, but is it really valid anymore? These guys must be doing something right. JR and CJ are in the league, and look like their going to stick. I do think Ruddock improved at Iowa, but for whatever reason, it seemed like there was a disconnect between him and some of his teammates. Its hard to measure CJ's last year, as he was way less the 100% from mid junior year all the way through his senior year. For whatever time Shimonek was at Iowa, he may have been progressing well, but he was not going to pass CJ. Pretty solid at Tech last season. Its pretty hard to say at this point that Stanley has not improved from his freshman to soph year. This will be a huge year for him, without question. I think bringing back KOK as a dedicated QB coach was a very solid move. Time will tell of course.....
I believe there was some type of issues while Greg Davis was here, during KOK's absence. I dont have an exact working theory on why, but from one year to another with QB's there was regression. With O'keefes return I believe that problem has subsided. We will see what happens with Stanley. Obviously, and I believe justifiably so, I have high hopes for his development and future performance!

Our last two starting QBs are in the NFL. Lucky for us they cam in with 5 Star can’t miss talent, otherwise I’m sure our staff would have dragged them all the way down to rec league.
And one of them did not get a single snap the whole year as a back up. Lol un heard of in college ball. And the starter was struggling.

Bump2

I thought Nate did fine all things considered. I cannot help but believe his future at Iowa is bright, and he will be getting paid at some point. Things to improve on, sure.

Is he incapable of improving these things? We will see about that. More experience in his case I believe will be a good thing (but certainly not a given).

Accuracy...which were CJ's and Ricky's biggest flaws...will be the key. They were perfectly fine college QB's, albeit not talented enough to overcome the rosters' other issues to raise the team to peak levels over the entirety of their careers.

Jake...honestly, I still cannot believe he made an NFL team. My hunch is he's smarter than just about anybody else Detroit has had as far as backups are concerned.

I never doubted Jake's smarts at Iowa. I thought he was a tad brittle and was easily rattled - and the team responded better to the tougher guy in CJ.

Nothing at all "against Jake Rudock"...Iowa merely had a better option.

I thought Nate did fine all things considered. I cannot help but believe his future at Iowa is bright, and he will be getting paid at some point. Things to improve on, sure.

Is he incapable of improving these things? We will see about that. More experience in his case I believe will be a good thing (but certainly not a given).

Accuracy...which were CJ's and Ricky's biggest flaws...will be the key. They were perfectly fine college QB's, albeit not talented enough to overcome the rosters' other issues to raise the team to peak levels over the entirety of their careers.

Jake...honestly, I still cannot believe he made an NFL team. My hunch is he's smarter than just about anybody else Detroit has had as far as backups are concerned.

I never doubted Jake's smarts at Iowa. I thought he was a tad brittle and was easily rattled - and the team responded better to the tougher guy in CJ.

Nothing at all "against Jake Rudock"...Iowa merely had a better option.
I don't know, but CJ playing at about 70% at best led Iowa to the precipice of one of the greatest seasons in school history, roster or not. 12-0 and one stop on that last MSU drive from a 13-0 season, undefeated BIG champs and a spot in the final four playoff for the Natty. I'll take another of those, please and thank you.......

Reactions: 24 so far

Well of course Stanley or any QB at Iowa would do well with NFL WR's. No QB under KF has been throwing to NFL WR's. Tevaun Smith and McNutt have had cups of coffee in the NFL, McCarron was on a practice squad last year, but Iowa just hasn't had NFL wideouts. If it was as easy as "teaching guys to get separation," don't you think it would have been done? I like the trend in the last year or so of the size/athleticism in the WR corps at Iowa, but the young guys will take time. Stanley does have a couple of future NFL TE's to throw to.

And Petras has a very good skill set, but gauging how fast a guy gets rids of the ball based on high school film is not a good idea. We have no idea how he will adjust to college ball.

Reactions: kceasthawk
Stanley needs to improve His accuracy , He does that and He has a chance at next level, windows there are smaller and close faster

IMO he will be a bust. If you are not accurate in college you likely will not be in the pros where the windows are even smaller.

His tools are so good that he is hard to pass up.

Well of course Stanley or any QB at Iowa would do well with NFL WR's. No QB under KF has been throwing to NFL WR's. Tevaun Smith and McNutt have had cups of coffee in the NFL, McCarron was on a practice squad last year, but Iowa just hasn't had NFL wideouts. If it was as easy as "teaching guys to get separation," don't you think it would have been done? I like the trend in the last year or so of the size/athleticism in the WR corps at Iowa, but the young guys will take time. Stanley does have a couple of future NFL TE's to throw to.

And Petras has a very good skill set, but gauging how fast a guy gets rids of the ball based on high school film is not a good idea. We have no idea how he will adjust to college ball.
I agree with two decades of weak WR performance; that the size/athleticism of WRs is improving; and that our TEs are very good receivers. I'll disagree, however, with the value of evaluating release time of QBs on HS film.

With regard to your use of the word "easy" ~ you own that, I never used it. Teaching is one of the most underrated, and important, aspects of football. It requires hiring good teachers for the WR position (have we?); assessing their ability to teach (who's doing that, KF? BF?); recruiting teachable (not only talented) WR recruits (who's doing that?). Nothing "easy" about any of this.

One other thing, KOK does a nice job with the QBs, but to the extent he's involved I'm not convinced of his WR coaching skills.

I agree with two decades of weak WR performance; that the size/athleticism of WRs is improving; and that our TEs are very good receivers. I'll disagree, however, with the value of evaluating release time of QBs on HS film.

With regard to your use of the word "easy" ~ you own that, I never used it. Teaching is one of the most underrated, and important, aspects of football. It requires hiring good teachers for the WR position (have we?); assessing their ability to teach (who's doing that, KF? BF?); recruiting teachable (not only talented) WR recruits (who's doing that?). Nothing "easy" about any of this.

I agree with you mostly. I do think overall Iowa has good coaches under KF. KF values teaching and if coaches aren't good at it they move on. McCarron is a great example. From a walk-on to being on NFL practice squad. That is amazing development with 2 coaches (Kennedy and Copeland). But WR (along with RB) are 2 of the positions where natural ability matters the most. Iowa has had great success converting non-WR from high school into good college wideouts (Hinkel, Solomon, McNutt, Koulianos). I'm sure there are others I'm overlooking. Those guys all were very, very good college receivers. Iowa developed them. But they weren't really NFL receivers (McNutt made it to a few games on a roster I think). My point is that if we want to see better separation from our wideouts, it will have to come from recruiting better players at the position to start with. I am encouraged with the last couple of classes, Iowa is getting more guys with the size/speed/elusiveness combination, that they are likely to get 2-3 that could be really good.

So, answer me this, Batman. If Nate Stanley has an excellent statistical season in 2018 and Iowa wins, say, 10+ games, do all the lemmings on this site insist he should forgo his SR season for the draft (ala Josh J.)? If so, that's why I cringe when I see a non-senior have a blow-up season.

I agree with you mostly. I do think overall Iowa has good coaches under KF. KF values teaching and if coaches aren't good at it they move on. McCarron is a great example. From a walk-on to being on NFL practice squad. That is amazing development with 2 coaches (Kennedy and Copeland). But WR (along with RB) are 2 of the positions where natural ability matters the most. Iowa has had great success converting non-WR from high school into good college wideouts (Hinkel, Solomon, McNutt, Koulianos). I'm sure there are others I'm overlooking. Those guys all were very, very good college receivers. Iowa developed them. But they weren't really NFL receivers (McNutt made it to a few games on a roster I think). My point is that if we want to see better separation from our wideouts, it will have to come from recruiting better players at the position to start with. I am encouraged with the last couple of classes, Iowa is getting more guys with the size/speed/elusiveness combination, that they are likely to get 2-3 that could be really good.
Wide Receivers at Iowa has been a toothache for me for years. We occasionally put DBs, DLs, LBs, OLs, TEs, QBs, and RBs in the NFL, but we can't figure out WRs. KF gets $5M a year to solve the problems ~ solve this one! Coach Copeland is a good start to solving the problem, but I wish he were more experienced. Matt Lubick (U. of Wash.) would have been a better hire. Go Hawks!

So, answer me this, Batman. If Nate Stanley has an excellent statistical season in 2018 and Iowa wins, say, 10+ games, do all the lemmings on this site insist he should forgo his SR season for the draft (ala Josh J.)? If so, that's why I cringe when I see a non-senior have a blow-up season.
I think if Nate has that kind of season he'll be in the same position James Daniels was last year, and base his decision to forego his senior season largely on the input he receives from the NFL evaluation he'll get in Jan '19.

How is it being a lemming to say a guy should go pro if he's guaranteed to go in the first 2 rounds? If I had a son who played football and he was going to be drafted in Rounds 1 or 2, I would tell him to go pro and not think twice about it. Bank some money and come back and finish your degree.

By the way, I don't see that happening for Stanley. NFL teams draft on ability/tools mostly at the QB position. Stanley has nice skill set, but not sure it's first-round skill set. But I could be wrong.

How is it being a lemming to say a guy should go pro if he's guaranteed to go in the first 2 rounds? If I had a son who played football and he was going to be drafted in Rounds 1 or 2, I would tell him to go pro and not think twice about it. Bank some money and come back and finish your degree.

By the way, I don't see that happening for Stanley. NFL teams draft on ability/tools mostly at the QB position. Stanley has nice skill set, but not sure it's first-round skill set. But I could be wrong.
Lemming was the wrong term to use.

It's funny that many were unsure NS should be the starting Iowa QB in August 2017 and by Late Nov. 2018 he might be getting encouraged to apply for the next NFL draft.

Cue Yakov Smirnov, "Is this a great country or what?"

I've seen at least one extremist on this board who thinks Peyton Mansell should get the nod over Stanley because he can run around and extend plays better.

I too think is unlikely that NS will have stats in 2018 that will put him in the 2019 NFL draft conversation. Not a knock on him, but rather recalling that Iowa is a run 1st team that ideally will throw the ball less than 30 times a game and there is still a lot of question marks at WR.

Reactions: rchawk
"If Nate Stanley has an excellent statistical season in 2018 and Iowa wins, say, 10+ games..." he'll be NFL graded a 1-2 round draft pick. Realistically, he'll have a good statistical season in 2018, win 7-8 games, and be NFL graded to return for his senior season.

Lemming was the wrong term to use.

It's funny that many were unsure NS should be the starting Iowa QB in August 2017 and by Late Nov. 2018 he might be getting encouraged to apply for the next NFL draft.

Cue Yakov Smirnov, "Is this a great country or what?"

I've seen at least one extremist on this board who thinks Peyton Mansell should get the nod over Stanley because he can run around and extend plays better.

I too think is unlikely that NS will have stats in 2018 that will put him in the 2019 NFL draft conversation. Not a knock on him, but rather recalling that Iowa is a run 1st team that ideally will throw the ball less than 30 times a game and there is still a lot of question marks at WR.

Gotcha. Yes, us fans are a great bunch. I have seen folks go gaga over Mansell or Petras when they have yet to see the field in a college game. I get being excited about a player, but nothing really matters until the guy is good enough to get on the field in a real game.

Stanley had way better numbers than I thought possible given Iowa's receiving corps. Some of that was helped by BF throwing the ball a lot more in the red zone than did Davis (a good thing), but throwing a lot of TD's compared to not many INT's is a good thing no matter the playcalling.

Actually QB's have been regressing under kf the last few years
Not to stoke fires here, but the last four starting QBs for Iowa, going back to Stanzi have all gotten an NFL shot, and 3 out of 4 made an active roster. I realize the results at Iowa aren't what fans want, but I don't think it's fair to discount what Iowa QBs have done after college football.

Ricky Stanzi- Active Roster with the Chiefs, P-squad with a few teams and currently on the active roster with Calgary
James VandenBerg- Signed by Vikings, did not make it out of camp
Jake Rudock- Signed by Lions, after a stint on the P-squad he is currently the #2 for them
C.J. Beathard- Drafted in the 3rd round by the 49ers. Named starter from week 7 to 11. Currently #2

Reactions: desihawk
heard it here first. He will replace Roethlisberger in Pittsburgh. Big Ben will be ready to pass the torch in a couple years...

I'm real high on Josh Allen...he had absolutely zero weapons this last year. All of his WRs graduated, so he was basically throwing to high school level talent.

I think Nate showed fantastic mobility for his size...he was the most comfortable and accurate out of the bootleg. The downfield touch came as the season grew on. The play against OSU where he fired a touchdown pass to the back of the end-zone with a defender draped on his leg, pretty amazing.

Reactions: RogerKint
After Allens pro day, nfl network analyst said hes a better athlete with more arm talent than Carson Wentz. Also said his advantage over Sam Darnold was the drastically higher number of snaps he took under Center.

I think Stanley will improve athletically and will also showcase imroving arm talent. Obviously, Iowa has the pro style advantage figured out already.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT