ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA is going to allow teams to make up their own game to play after Dec. 19.

As for Iowa and ISU playing because of this rule....

1. The way I read it, the NCAA wouldn't approve the game. It doesn't seem to fit the criteria.

2. ISU is playing in the league title game Dec. 19 and will be playing in a bowl. Iowa will be playing in a bowl. No way in hell a game could be squeezed in between those events.

3. A game in Kinnick in late December? What could possibly go wrong with that?

4. Iowa already forfeited the ISU game.
They aren’t talking about adding a game in addition to bowl dumbass. They could play in a bowl that features B1G vs Big 12.
Link to Iowa forfeiting?
What would be wrong with a game in December? Teams do it all the time— don’t be a patsy.
I don’t see the link nor do I see the W in Iowa States win column for that game that you’re saying was a forfeit. Again, dumbass.

1. The way I read it, the NCAA wouldn't approve the game. It doesn't seem to fit the criteria.

2. ISU is playing in the league title game Dec. 19 and will be playing in a bowl. Iowa will be playing in a bowl. No way in hell a game could be squeezed in between those events.

#4 = derp

Lower-level bowls exist because ESPN will pay decent money to air a lower tier game. Any random football game in late December will be televised. FOX/FS1 have air to fill, too.

My reading of this proposed rule is that a team can play ONE game after December 19th. Bowl or random game. Not both.

I expect most P5 teams to play this extra game. A lot on a regional basis. Nebraska will play random B12 team.

I could cetainly see some of the type of game you are describing being played. Will Maryland play Virginia? Will Nebraska play K St.? Will Penn State play PItt? Maybe, although at least a couple of those teams have a chance at making a bowl. And while the networks have some amount of space to fill, it's just a handful of games. So do they want to televise Rutgers vs Syracuse? I rather doubt it.

My guess is a few such games get played, but I doubt it will be most of the P5 teams that are left out of bowls.

So do they want to televise Rutgers vs Syracuse? I rather doubt it.

ESPN pays to have bowls exist in order to televise two G5 teams playing on a Tuesday afternoon in late December. I think they'd be happy to televise any game involving two P5 teams.

Conferences like the B1G are trying to retain their full TV payout for this season. Offering a few more games after the season as inventory will help.

If Iowa and ISU weren't bowling, I'd be all for a game between the two in the UNI Dome.
I said this weeks ago and called it the "Cedar Falls Bowl" ... I was mostly joking but in these times it makes a ton of sense actually (limit travel, indoor stadium so no weather elements, two good teams). I think Iowa deserves a FL bowl, but if that couldn't happen for some reason ... CF Bowl baby!

Iowa State would want nothing to do with Iowa's defense. By far the best defense they would go against all season.

Reactions: MitchLL
Not likely. Drake likely beats ISU without the bogus holding call on Drake as they were driving for the winning td.

You think Jamie dialed down to the field and told the Drake coach there would be an extra $100k in it if they would give it up?

#3................I do not get how people think no one else plays football in December and January in cold outdoor locations. The lower level schools do this. They have their playoff and the higher seed hosts if it is outdoors in the midwest so be it. And the NFL.

Iowa State would want nothing to do with Iowa's defense. By far the best defense they would go against all season.
Totally agree. But as someone who rags on the Clones at every opportunity... they've had a magical year. Truly a season the fans can tell their grandkids about. You know they are starving for something to be happy about.

Given that... it's still a very real possibility that they end up ranked below the Hawks when all is said and done.

They aren’t talking about adding a game in addition to bowl dumbass. They could play in a bowl that features B1G vs Big 12.
Link to Iowa forfeiting?
What would be wrong with a game in December? Teams do it all the time— don’t be a patsy.
I don’t see the link nor do I see the W in Iowa States win column for that game that you’re saying was a forfeit. Again, dumbass.
I am not the dumbass here. I pointed out that ISU-Iowa wouldn't appear to meet the criteria of the NCAA exception. I also pointed out that both teams will be playing in a bowl, so it wouldn't be feasible for them to play each other between Dec. 19 and the bowl games. And as a native Iowan, in my experience it is often cold and snowy in late December.

The forfeit remark was a joke. It's been mentioned here before.

Totally agree. But as someone who rags on the Clones at every opportunity... they've had a magical year. Truly a season the fans can tell their grandkids about. You know they are starving for something to be happy about.

Given that... it's still a very real possibility that they end up ranked below the Hawks when all is said and done.

"Magical" ............. seriously? Got crushed by Louisiana and lost to a mediocre Okie State team. Will see this Saturday. I look for Oklahoma to be a lot better than they were in game 1.

"Magical" ............. seriously? Got crushed by Louisiana and lost to a mediocre Okie State team. Will see this Saturday. I look for Oklahoma to be a lot better than they were in game 1.
It's "magical" because pretty much football is the only men's sport they'll be competitive in this year. And they have a chance to reach double digit wins... another first.

ISU is a "football school".;);););););)

If “decent” is the leading rusher in the nation, a first team AA TE, another all conference TE, and first team all conference LB, safety, and DE. Oh and best QB in the conference.

Beat a team with a winning record and we can talk. Until then, sorry you lost to 2-4 Purdue.
Except for RB Hall, I’m not impressed with the other ISU position players you mentioned. It doesn’t really help your case when u compare them to rest of the weak Big 12. Hawks would beat ISU by at least a TD.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT