2 way player: plays defense and offense
BIGs: 4 and 5 spot players
Throwing it in there: passing to a 4 or 5 on the block

I have also noticed these days:

Nobody blocks out
3 seconds is never called
Players still jump and try to pass
Everyone goes for ball fake
Nobody blocks out - Very rare. Affolter does a good job at consistently blocking out - there are others, but they are hit and miss. I've been to about 20 HS games this winter and have only seen it a handful of times. It's such a simple skill to incorporate and requires a little effort, but doesn't seem to be taught/emphasized at any level....

Nobody blocks out - Very rare. Affolter does a good job at consistently blocking out - there are others, but they are hit and miss. I've been to about 20 HS games this winter and have only seen it a handful of times. It's such a simple skill to incorporate and requires a little effort, but doesn't seem to be taught/emphasized at any level....
It does require effort to get into position, and then hold back the other guy, if he is bigger. A lot of players also don't understand the concept of weak side rebounding position. More misses bounce to the opposite side of the basket, so having a player establish position there for the rebound is a good idea if possible. Rebounding, like defense, depends a lot on just wanting to do it, all of the time.

When I played, and they had a peach basket with a hole in the bottom, officials actually enforced traveling and carrying the ball. Now, carrying the ball is what makes guys "great ballhandlers".

Which I’m fine with, until they suddenly decide they need to call the obligatory travel or God forbid “carrying” which EVERY SINGLE PLAYER who ever dribbles now does

At lesst Davis taught.blocking out.

Backing in, What the H is that?
Crowel turns his Butt to the player and backs into the defensive player knocking him back two to 3 feet closer to the basket . Then turns and shoots from 3 ft away for a score. I fail to see this as pushing the player out of the way with full contact to get a shot. Baffles me.

Reactions: Buffalo43
It does require effort to get into position, and then hold back the other guy, if he is bigger. A lot of players also don't understand the concept of weak side rebounding position. More misses bounce to the opposite side of the basket, so having a player establish position there for the rebound is a good idea if possible. Rebounding, like defense, depends a lot on just wanting to do it, all of the time.
Crash the backside is my philosophy for most sports. Free rebounds in basketball, tap in goals in both hockey and soccer.

Backing in, What the H is that?
Crowel turns his Butt to the player and backs into the defensive player knocking him back two to 3 feet closer to the basket . Then turns and shoots from 3 ft away for a score. I fail to see this as pushing the player out of the way with full contact to get a shot. Baffles me.

Add flopping.
The two kind of go hand-in-hand. Bigs got away with 'backing in' so the defensive players started selling the contact, and then flopping got rewarded until it got penalized.

We had block out drills in high school it was a blood bath but we learned

There used to a be new rule - feels like quite recently - that a timeout would not be granted if used trying to save possession while falling/leaping out of bounds.

Seems to either have been wiped from the rule book already or only selectively enforced.

long/length = tall
high motor = white (more of a football term)
coach on the floor = white

Something that arose in the last decade or so that annoys me (get off my lawn) is 50 year old dudes commenting on a bball player with "kid". "kid has handles" or "kid can shoot", etc

long/length = tall
high motor = white (more of a football term)
coach on the floor = white

Something that arose in the last decade or so that annoys me (get off my lawn) is 50 year old dudes commenting on a bball player with "kid". "kid has handles" or "kid can shoot", etc
Well you can't say 'guy' as that is sexist!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT