ADVERTISEMENT

New cowboy bar opens in Iowa City

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
A new country-themed bar is hitching itself to 118 S. Clinton St. in Iowa City.

Giddy Up, a new offering from the Iowa Ave Hospitality Group, is turning the former Pints Iowa City space into 3,850 square feet of nostalgic, country-western aesthetics with a contemporary twist. The new bar will feature a dance floor, wooden walls, a shiplap bar, and other rustic elements “that transport guests to the charm of an old-time saloon with a pop of color,” the owners said.

The menu will offer themed cocktails, high-end whiskeys and beer boots to fill with its “run-of-the-mill beer selection.”

“Giddy Up is our ode to country living, and we can’t wait to bring the unique concept to downtown Iowa City,” said owner Josh Immerfall, who is opening the new concept with general manager Nick Carroll.

Carroll owns Hatchet Jack’s in Iowa City, and Pat and Fran’s Irish Pub in Coralville. Immerfall owns Donnelly’s Pub in the Ped Mall, and Goldfinch Tap + Eatery in Marion. The duo recently renovated and opened Camp and Scout’s Honor on Iowa Avenue.

"Josh and I have always believed in bringing unique themed concepts to downtown Iowa City. Giddy Up has been a topic of discussion for two years, and we seized the opportunity when the right space became available,“ Carroll said.

Giddy Up is the recipient of Iowa City Downtown District’s CoSign grant program, which supports new and existing businesses with funding for storefront enhancements and projecting signage. Approved applicants can receive a 50 percent matching grant, up to $3,500 for signage and $2,500 for storefront enhancements.

Iowa City + Cowboys =

mountain GIF

This sounds cheesy as hell.

Giddy Up, a new offering from the Iowa Ave Hospitality Group, is turning the former Pints Iowa City space into 3,850 square feet of nostalgic, country-western aesthetics with a contemporary twist. The new bar will feature a dance floor, wooden walls, a shiplap bar, and other rustic elements “that transport guests to the charm of an old-time saloon with a pop of color,” the owners said.

The menu will offer themed cocktails, high-end whiskeys and beer boots to fill with its “run-of-the-mill beer selection.”

“Giddy Up is our ode to country living, and we can’t wait to bring the unique concept to downtown Iowa City,” said owner Josh Immerfall, who is opening the new concept with general manager Nick Carroll.

This sounds cheesy as hell.

It does. I think a country bar would do well in Iowa City, but not like a replica of an old west bar a la Cracker Barrel, but more of a "we play contemporary country music and this is our attempt at a bar that you'd find in Nashville"

I tip my cowboy hat to anyone trying to open a bar/restaurant these days, but this is a tale as old as time; country themed bar moves in, spends too much on the remodel and theme, has a year or two where it's busy enough to be almost viable, then it starts to fizzle, along with too many fights between wannabe/rhinestone cowboys, and inevitably the space goes dark.

Sounds like a winner.

Chicks like to dance and if you have a big dance floor the bar is going to attract a lot of women. Men (not the gays) like to go where the chicks are.

Solid play by the owners.

I tip my cowboy hat to anyone trying to open a bar/restaurant these days, but this is a tale as old as time; country themed bar moves in, spends too much on the remodel and theme, has a year or two where it's busy enough to be almost viable, then it starts to fizzle, along with too many fights between wannabe/rhinestone cowboys, and inevitably the space goes dark.
About 40 years ago, when I lived in Dallas for a short while. A cowboy bar called Belle Star had free beer from 7-10 on Wednesdays. Just needed several $ apiece to tip the waitress to keep the pitchers coming. CSB.

I'll be damned, I know the owner of that place. Haven't talked to him in years though.

Wildwood, on the east side of Iowa City is the current ’country bar’ in town. It usually seems pretty dead unless they have some event going on.

Let’s all dance in a line, sing with a fake southern accent, and wear belt buckles the size of replica WWE title belts!

Sounds like every country bar I've ever been to. Have the right drink specials and the college kids will come.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT