ADVERTISEMENT

New Fever Head Coaching Angle

Rocket_Fran

Scout Team
Gold Member
May 9, 2023
Fire Sides right before olympic break and, if Bluder agrees obviously, bring her on ONLY as interim coach for the post olympic break. Announce you will start a complete coach hiring process immediately. You get a head start before other coaches are fired. With Bluder, Fever get a proven head coach when it comes to offensive strategy (her rival Big10 coaches always praised her for this so I don't think its my bias talking). Fever also get an interim coach that is only interested in the interim tag. If you announce it pre-olympics it gives Bluder more time to acclimate, analyze, and hit the game film. I don't know the rules about practice during olympics but if it's allowed she can already start implementing a new system in practice during olympics too.

Bluder has shown she can create an offense completely based on a roster's unique set of strengths and skills. At an elite level. This way, the current staff and future coach has this game tape of the roster under her leadership. The Fever then can make more informed offseason decisions with trades, signs, etc. New launch pad for year 2.

Lastly, from the human side of things, if your personality is such that you cannot play under Bluder then that's a you problem. If you look at basketball history, there are many more coaches who can't coach the truly elite players. So, during this hiring process Bluder can also consult if there's any question about the future head coach's compatibility with CC.

Seems like a win-win all around to me. New retiree gets a little side hustle and opens doors for future consultative work to keep busy. If she wants.

Idk, maybe it’s one of those things like when Stoops came out of retirement and led Oklahoma in its bowl game a few years back when their coach left. I would be surprised if Bluder would do this, but I wouldn’t put it past her if she strongly considered it. Watching Clark, Mitchell, and Boston has to be frustrating for Bluder as there is so much talent and potential there for an elite offense. Plus, if it’s only for this one season and she gets to coach Caitlin again I’m sure she would relish it.

Reactions: Beattheohiostate
IMHO this will not happen. Lisa is probably enjoying life after coaching. Think about this: Since CC has come into the League, she's had a target on her back the whole time with not just being face guarded, blitzed almost every game, and has teammates who have yet to learn how to get down the court in transition and catch her passes, not to mention finishing on the play. I wouldn't throw Lisa into this lion's den. Maybe down the road, Lisa might, and that's a big might at this point, consider coaching again. Give the Lady a break for Heaven's sake. :D

Fire Sides right before olympic break and, if Bluder agrees obviously, bring her on ONLY as interim coach for the post olympic break. Announce you will start a complete coach hiring process immediately. You get a head start before other coaches are fired. With Bluder, Fever get a proven head coach when it comes to offensive strategy (her rival Big10 coaches always praised her for this so I don't think its my bias talking). Fever also get an interim coach that is only interested in the interim tag. If you announce it pre-olympics it gives Bluder more time to acclimate, analyze, and hit the game film. I don't know the rules about practice during olympics but if it's allowed she can already start implementing a new system in practice during olympics too.

Bluder has shown she can create an offense completely based on a roster's unique set of strengths and skills. At an elite level. This way, the current staff and future coach has this game tape of the roster under her leadership. The Fever then can make more informed offseason decisions with trades, signs, etc. New launch pad for year 2.

Lastly, from the human side of things, if your personality is such that you cannot play under Bluder then that's a you problem. If you look at basketball history, there are many more coaches who can't coach the truly elite players. So, during this hiring process Bluder can also consult if there's any question about the future head coach's compatibility with CC.

Seems like a win-win all around to me. New retiree gets a little side hustle and opens doors for future consultative work to keep busy. If she wants.
They basically get no practice time. Bluder had all summer and fall to get a team to learn sets and jell.

Sides will finish out the year, I don't see them firing her with this being CC's first year. They'll want to see if she can get the team to gel in some way, we're still in single digit games, believe it or not. As fun as it is to think about, I don't think Bluder would coach in the WNBA at this point. So many people who criticize her for the move anyway, it just isn't worth it.

Personally, I don't believe the Fever will win 10 games. They'll be lucky to get 7 wins this year. They'll get another top pick and we'll do it all over again next year. If they refuse to fire Sides or don't improve, the only thing CC can do is play through her contract and request a trade or become a free agent once it's finished.

Bluder wasn’t gods gift to coaching before Clark.

You are building her up way more her record justifies.

The pressure you would put on Bluder and Clark would be off the charts.

She would also be taking a massive pay cut.

Bluder wasn’t gods gift to coaching before Clark.

You are building her up way more her record justifies.

The pressure you would put on Bluder and Clark would be off the charts.

She would also be taking a massive pay cut.
Pay cut? She's not getting paid at all other than probably a healthy pension from Iowa.

Who really knows what she wants. A temp/full time job like this gets her name out there. Could lead to a broadcasting color commentary job in the NCAA games or WNBA if that's something she might be interested in.

If the ping pong balls don’t go their way, are there consensus 2 and 3 picks after Paige?

I don't think Bluder would be a consideration, and I hope she's not and stays far away. This is professional sports. There aren't mid-season turn arounds on historically bad teams. The Fever are a bad team that needs a talent overhaul and time to get better. I'd hate to see Bluder's image tarnished by taking over for 30 games and maybe winning five of them. Initially I was in favor of the sentimentality of Bluder coaching Clark again, but I don't want the last image of Bluder coaching to be hands on her hips with an exacerbated exhausted look on her face, watching that ship sink.

If the ping pong balls don’t go their way, are there consensus 2 and 3 picks after Paige?
I don't know particular names, but they desparately need a sharpshooter. Also, I would expect that the Fever will be a very attractive landing spot for free agents. Should be able to upgrade the roster significantly next year.

They have to get a shooter or two. I just watched a 9 minute breakdown of how Clark is being guarded, unlike any other player in the league. As a rookie. She is doubled after basically every screen, for those of you who are calling for more ball screens, and faceguarded 94 feet, often. The guy went back to the finals last year and watched the Aces guard Sabrina - nothing like how they handled Caitlin. Like I said last night, Sides and Caitlin are adjusting to this and getting teammates wide open looks. That's all Sides can do on the offensive end - get open shots. Players have to knock down 3s and stop missing 2 footers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT