ADVERTISEMENT

New Here. 2007 player. MI beat us this way.

FormerPlayer07

Scout Team
Oct 10, 2019
They ran a 6-3-1 split on defense all game. Fake 6 rushers, back off 3 into passing lanes, blitz the middle LB on a delay. You beat this by slanting, cross patterns, screens, Qb runs, draws or having Jonathan Taylor rush the center consistently. Play selections were poor. OL did not adjust at half. QB played scared, wouldn't you?

They ran a 6-3-1 split on defense all game. Fake 6 rushers, back off 3 into passing lanes, blitz the middle LB on a delay. You beat this by slanting, cross patterns, screens, Qb runs, draws or having Jonathan Taylor rush the center consistently. Play selections were poor. OL did not adjust at half. QB played scared, wouldn't you?

Welcome! Good insights. Thoughts on this week?

Former Hawk? I looking forward to board's sleuthing your identity!

Reactions: FormerPlayer07
Smart point Pepper, yes, without a mobile QB Iowa loses at least 20% of it's offensive threat. See Drew Tate, Banks and CJ Beathard (when healthy).
Seems like QB draw out of empty set is there for the taking...a lot. They did it once (I think in shotgun w/single back) vs ISU. Is there any reason they're not running this a couple times per game to keep the defense honest?

Thank you just. I will be fair but honest. I know the coaching staff well. They are a great family but tend to be stubborn. lol. Many stated the backup QB should have played. I say no-way. Go with your seasoned veteran and hope he has more ups then downs.

I agree that KF and BF are on the stubborn side, and it probably has hurt the team in some ways. But, it can also be a positive to have a strong belief and confidence in what you are doing. Some coaches change things too quickly and the team can be in WTF? mode. Like, pulling a seasoned starter when things aren't going well.

Anyway, welcome to HR. It's nice to have the perspective of an actual player!

Reactions: FormerPlayer07
IOWA vrs Penn St: A montage of immediate quick outs and other options we talked about above must be in the arsenal. Sometimes the simplest game plan is the best. Flushing our QB to one side or other and design patterns to that selected side with his option to run. Our QB throws better when he thinks less. Crowd noise must pump this defensive front to squeeze the Penn State QB. Hold the edge and squeeze, this will not be about sacks, it's about hurries.

lol. never said I was a senior then, just played in 2007:). Good try.
I had to take precautions so I could post and not be called out when around players/staff. It's why I never posted before. A lot of you posters are pretty FB smart, but I did see a lot of misconceptions. It's nice to hear from a different perspective.

Last edited:
So - 6-3-1 defense? They only had 10 players and still dominated our offense?

Wow!

I never played football after high school, but even I could see crossing routs were open and successful all day... right up until the 4th quarter when we didn’t run any.

I counted 41 native Hawkeyes on the 2007 squad. FP07. Western Iowa? Hate the Huskers for instance?

So - 6-3-1 defense? They only had 10 players and still dominated our offense?

Wow!

I never played football after high school, but even I could see crossing routs were open and successful all day... right up until the 4th quarter when we didn’t run any.
What? might want to reread the description..

Paki? Is that you posting from your van somewhere in South America? :)

In all seriousness, great stuff and I do know this. Iowa is too proud of a program to repeat what we saw last week. Kinnick magic this Saturday, night game, amped crowd, etc and they will definitely play better.
In this day and age, very easy to attack players from the comfort of your easy chair (myself included!) yet we should direct a good chunk of that to the coaching staff as very little adjustments were made and especially for abandoning the running game on 2nd downs in Mich territory.

How bad is Brian at OC? I thought he was coming along but now I am not sure. Bad play calling against MI. Hardly any adjustments. Fades are low completion percentage. Why do you constantly let the clock run down to zero so the D can tee off on our big lug?

Reactions: iahawks10
Question for the former player: Why does Stanley struggle so badly to recognize when a gap up the middle opens up he should tuck the ball and run - especially in a tight game such as last week where yards were tough to come by?

I like to think the coaches tell the QBs to keep it in their mind that running is most definitely an option.....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT