ADVERTISEMENT

New offensive coordinator?

I want an offensive coordinator like Hayden had. And I don't mean in his last few years when age made it hard to recruit. Hayden's teams were exciting and fun to watch and Kirk's teams offense is always boring and playing not to lose.
Well, that guy is still alive…

Fans hated KOK.

This board was swamped weekly with fire KOK threads.

Kirk Ferentz’s philosophy is minimize mistakes on O, play solid D, excellent ST and he’ll win more than not. He’s made 10s of millions off this strategy. All his kids graduated from the same HS. Statue to come. Rare things for a college coach. All those HCs that hired such great OCs have all been fired. Gone. KF still doing what he loves where he loves to do it.

Iowa is a year removed from the B1G championship game. Iowa has a low ceiling. One bad HC hire and you’re Illinois or Minnesota.

You are correct they hated KOK and they’ll hate the next guy too, because that’s what they are!

That’s also why I make an extensive long winded point over and over again to tell people they are the same 15-20% on every board in America.

@BlackNGoldBleeder has tried to dispute this, but I’ve been pretty consistent. Quite frankly, if you’re just one of the same on every other board and it’s a lifestyle and a character thing you’re not unique, you don’t have especially good points. You would hate the O-coordinator, HC, etc of every team in America eventually!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: InsaneHawk
And there's the Tom Davis reference.

I see there are still fans who are scared and convinced any coaching change will automatically make the team worse.

What do you want to wager? I can come up with four or five times, the amount of examples of it, going bad as opposed to it going better?

People absolutely should be concerned!

• Haha
The Ferentzi need to go.
Keep Phil, LeVar, and the defensive assistants.

Yeah like that happens…your fellas ability to disassociate the Defense & PP & LaVar woods in particular with a coach (KF) they love and respect is borderline clinical!

You just as well start every single praise of the Defense with….Maybe Phil Parker isn’t as smart as I think he is because he really seems to like Kirk Ferentz and I can’t stand him….

It might help you bring your fractured mind back together!

Reactions: sober_teacher
You realize with no KF around, it is highly unlikely those coaches stay. Not only would a new coach need to decide to keep all of them on, they would need to decide to want to work for a new coach and not seek solid offers other places.
They’re dumb!

KOK did, but that was building the program. The Off has not evolved to keep up with times.

Yes, it is and has always been KF that dictates the Off. Not sure why a P5 coach would handcuff himself so.

FWIW, Ken won a National Championship @ Allegheny running the spread!

• Wow
Who evaluates annually? Lol

Football is a game of adjustments. If you can’t adjust in season then you have the 2022 Hawks

You might just as well say you have the 2021, 2020, 2019, et al Hawks. Ferrets’ out the false agendas

Well, that guy is still alive…

I’m not trying to be a jerk when I’m saying this, but that is mostly selective memory…

I’ve been through Hayden’s schedule multiple times and they had a whole shit ton of clunkers, and they really weren’t very competitive with the top tier teams, many years!

Sure we had years but looking back to the schedules doesn’t denote an offensive guru like the PR department would suggest meaning Hayden!

The Ferentzi need to go.
Keep Phil, LeVar, and the defensive assistants.

there’s virtually no chance the majority of the defensive coaches return if a new coach comes in. You’d maybe keep, one, perhaps two, to assist with player retention.

Former player agrees and make a great point. You stay complacent and you have the shitshow known as the Hawkeye offense.
But again, 2021, 2020,2019, etc…. Do you ever wonder why Talking Heads in fans use “talking points”….

They don’t really know what to say….No intelligent person looks at a corporation or a team, and sees their consistency of record and success, and says… “Oh, they clearly don’t ever adjust”

They couldn’t find the right answers, and for all intents and purposes until the Nebraska debacle they had got back on the winning track so again just more of the same, we weren’t good enough and that’s the facts.

Hopefully next year we will be!

• Haha
there’s virtually no chance the majority of the defensive coaches return if a new coach comes in. You’d maybe keep, one, perhaps two, to assist with player retention.

If it was an obvious retirement, if forced out, none of those guys would stay at the University of Iowa!!

They don’t share the same opinion of their head coach that the fans do.

They think he’s a hell of a coach?

I love Phil (I hope they would just pay the man more money), but if Kirk leaves over Brian being let go and Phil goes with. The move would be to pay Jim Leonhard well to come in and take over as DC.

I love Phil (I hope they would just pay the man more money), but if Kirk leaves over Brian being let go and Phil goes with. The move would be to pay Jim Leonhard well to come in and take over as DC.

That actually would be fine, but I don’t see Iowa offering Leonhard 1.2-1.5 mill to be DC and a new HC would have his own cronies!

I’m not trying to be a jerk when I’m saying this, but that is mostly selective memory…

I’ve been through Hayden’s schedule multiple times and they had a whole shit ton of clunkers, and they really weren’t very competitive with the top tier teams, many years!

Sure we had years but looking back to the schedules doesn’t denote an offensive guru like the PR department would suggest meaning Hayden!
I agree with you. I remember Hayden’s teams. They were built on line play and great defense, just like Kirk. Revisionist history is alive and well. I was literally just making the joke that Bill still alive, as if he would become Iowa’s OC. The poster I replied to seemed to possibly not know know who that OC he wants even was.

All that said, Iowa clearly needs to make some changes offensively. Hayden would have too.

Maybe you replied to the wrong post?

I agree with you. I remember Hayden’s teams. They were built on line play and great defense, just like Kirk. Revisionist history is alive and well. I was literally just making the joke that Bill still alive, as if he would become Iowa’s OC. The poster I replied to seemed to possibly not know know who that OC he wants even was.

Maybe you replied to the wrong post?

Maybe, sorry… but I was serious. I wasn’t trying to screw with you. I seem to remember you typically being a pretty fair minded fellow, and let’s remember Kirk & this, Iowa don’t exist without Hayden and his Iowa….

But they weren’t remarkably different men…

Well, they are remarkably different, but they still have similar strategies when it comes to winning football games. Great line play, great defense, run the ball!

“We are what our record says we are” is what Brian said?

Biggest cop-out, lack of personal accountability garbage response if I’ve ever heard one.

F**k Brian.

Should’ve been the perfect response for someone like you… I think we’ve heard enough from you to suggest that our 7-5 record sucks and we suck and that’s what he said…we suck!

GEEZ never happy!! 😜

Should’ve been the perfect response for someone like you… I think we’ve heard enough from you to suggest that our 7-5 record sucks and we suck and that’s what he said…we suck!

GEEZ never happy!! 😜
You’re probably one of three or four posters I couldn’t care less about.

Now, get back to praying to the Sky Wizard that Brian isn’t let go b/c I’m sure you’d be devastated if he’s fired.

Reactions: not_mantiteo
My feeling is that like Phil Parker learned from Norm Parker, so too do guys like Levar Woods and Seth Wallace. I think if you like Phil Parker that much, you go other people who learned from him, how he thinks, what he looks for in various position players, and how he would choose to defend each team. To me, you don’t go outside of the Iowa program to fill a Defensive Coordinator position as the footprint for what we have been doing over the last 2 decades justifies staying within.

Reactions: cmhawks99
You’re probably one of three or four posters I couldn’t care less about.

Now, get back to praying to the Sky Wizard that Brian isn’t let go b/c I’m sure you’d be devastated if he’s fired.

I know you’ve read many if not most of my posts. I also know you’ve seen me say many, many, many times. I hope Brian is gone, so you’re just being your silly, petty little self…

As further evidenced by the “sky wizard“ comment that I’m sure you’ve had success, screwing with people of Faith before, but once again, all that suggests is a small, petty minded individual not offensive in the least !

PS, I would never pray for a coach, to be retained quite frankly when Kirk Ferentz moves on as long as they get another good coach that plays sound, fundamental defensive oriented football with a little bit better offense, I would be giddy.

And finally I would tell you “not being you” makes me giddy, but in all honesty you are really basically a big fat nothing burger.

I wouldn’t associate with anybody in real life like you! Your hostility to people you’ve likely never met in real life, while you hammer away on an anonymous message board is an example of what is wrong with society, not what is right!

Aren’t you glad you’re engaged lol!

My feeling is that like Phil Parker learned from Norm Parker, so too do guys like Levar Woods and Seth Wallace. I think if you like Phil Parker that much, you go other people who learned from him, how he thinks, what he looks for in various position players, and how he would choose to defend each team. To me, you don’t go outside of the Iowa program to fill a Defensive Coordinator position as the footprint for what we have been doing over the last 2 decades justifies staying within.

Your reasoning is sound, but bringing a head coach in from outside the organization, likely undoes that!

He was recruited as a defender from day one

Yep because that’s the Iowa way and there are people outside of you that understand what I have said… If we were a more offensive minded football team in totality many of these kids would’ve made to their way to the offensive side of the ball and I’m not alone in that thinking!

IMO we’ve had 10-15 kids in just the last 10 years that had they played O Instead of defense would’ve made us more dynamic…

Pretty much case closed for me at this point in time!

That’s all I’ve ever said, and in all honesty, defense is probably where they should’ve been projected because they’re higher upside in the NFL is there, but there are coaches that would’ve taken. Cooper DeJean and moved him to Offense and Micah Hyde, and a plethora of other players.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT