ADVERTISEMENT

New York City Advice

Mr. Royce

HR All-State
Dec 30, 2008
Flying into Newark, best way to get to hotel in times square? First trip to NYC, all advice helpful. Go!

Most fun way or most efficient. You should be able to get a bus, train or an Uber for most efficient, Uber may be tough with the state lines. Most fun would be to go to Staten Island and take the Ferry.

Take the Airtrain from Newark Airport to Penn Station NYC (coincidentally , right under Madison Sq Garden), which is about 8 blocks away from Times Sq. If you have light luggage just walk to your hotel, otherwise either take a subway , or if the subways confuse you just jump in a cab, a short ride will only be about $5-10 bucks.

http://www.panynj.gov/airports/ewr-to-from.html

I live in Nothern NJ and go into Manhatten a lot. I'm also going to the Nationals on Friday and maybe Saturday . If you have an extra ticket , let me know. I'll probably just scalp right outside the Garden .
If you have other questions, just ask, happy to help a fellow Big 10 Wrestling fan. (I'm Rutgers)

Take the Airtrain from Newark Airport to Penn Station NYC (coincidentally , right under Madison Sq Garden), which is about 8 blocks away from Times Sq. If you have light luggage just walk to your hotel, otherwise either take a subway , or if the subways confuse you just jump in a cab, a short ride will only be about $5-10 bucks.

http://www.panynj.gov/airports/ewr-to-from.html

I live in Nothern NJ and go into Manhatten a lot. I'm also going to the Nationals on Friday and maybe Saturday . If you have an extra ticket , let me know. I'll probably just scalp right outside the Garden .
If you have other questions, just ask, happy to help a fellow Big 10 Wrestling fan. (I'm Rutgers)

Where in northern NJ?

Where in northern NJ?

I think we've had this discussion before, lol. Cedar Grove, a small town next to Montclair. About 20 minutes from Manhatten without traffic. Grew up in Hackettstown thought, NW NJ near the Pa border. Wife is from Montclair.

I think we've had this discussion before, lol. Cedar Grove, a small town next to Montclair. About 20 minutes from Manhatten without traffic. Grew up in Hackettstown thought, NW NJ near the Pa border. Wife is from Montclair.

Oh yeah. I'm not good at remembering handles.

Northern Jersery had a good weekend in Atlantic City.

Will there be any restaurant/bar within a 15-20ish minute walk from MSG that won't be mobbed on Thursday (St. Paddy's Day)?

Abro, would Montclair be a good place to get a hotel? I plan on driving from PA and parking at the hotel. Then taking a train into the city.

Abro, would Montclair be a good place to get a hotel? I plan on driving from PA and parking at the hotel. Then taking a train into the city.
Yes, but not many hotels right in Montclair. The train

Montclair is a very convenient train ride in to PENN STATION AND MSG, But off the top of my head I can't think of any hotels in town where you can walk to the train Station. Hoboken and Jersey City much more convenient and right on the PATH train line. But hotels in Honoken and JC more expensive than Montclair area but still less than NYC. Another good option are the hotels by Giants Stadium in Secacus 10 minutes from MSG. There is a huge train station there w a big parking lot.

Reactions: hlstone
Yes, but not many hotels right in Montclair. The train

Montclair is a very convenient train ride in to PENN STATION AND MSG, But off the top of my head I can't think of any hotels in town where you can walk to the train Station. Hoboken and Jersey City much more convenient and right on the PATH train line. But hotels in Honoken and JC more expensive than Montclair area but still less than NYC. Another good option are the hotels by Giants Stadium in Secacus 10 minutes from MSG. There is a huge train station there w a big parking lot.

Another advantage to these hotels ... if the regional rail lines are out because of a strike, one of the contingencies NJTransit has announced is a shuttle bus service from the stadium parking lot to the Port Authority bus terminal in Manhattan, which is about 10 blocks from MSG.

Another advantage to these hotels ... if the regional rail lines are out because of a strike, one of the contingencies NJTransit has announced is a shuttle bus service from the stadium parking lot to the Port Authority bus terminal in Manhattan, which is about 10 blocks from MSG.

If there is a transit strike those buses better be able to levitate cause the bridges and tunnels will be parking lots. Seriously, if there is a transit strike (I don't think it will happen), you had better be within walking distance of MSG or your trip is going to be a real adventure. You sure as heck will NOT want to be trying to get into the city from NJ.

Free advice for first timers (remember what you paid for it) is to not be afraid to ride the subway. Great way to get around the city, especially if you are going north and south. Also, Manhattan is very walkable and that is the best way to see the city. Terrain is largely flat and the city is favorable to pedestrians.

Here is a great site for subway novices:
http://www.nycsubwayguide.com/subway/

Abro- still looking for a ticket?

I am! Especially for March 18 either or both sessions. 100 & 200 level preferable. Pm me or just say here what do you have and how much. If it works out we can exchange cell numbers and meet outside MSG at the SW corner of the cross st (31st and 7th Ave).

I am! Especially for March 18 either or both sessions. 100 & 200 level preferable. Pm me or just say here what do you have and how much. If it works out we can exchange cell numbers and meet outside MSG at the SW corner of the cross st (31st and 7th Ave).
We have one extra in section 209, row 13. Would like to sell it as an all-session ticket if possible. I can't figure out how to PM you through here. Would you mind posting your email?

We have one extra in section 209, row 13. Would like to sell it as an all-session ticket if possible. I can't figure out how to PM you through here. Would you mind posting your email?

Thanks for the reply. I"m not able to buy an All Session, I have a 2 day Jury Duty March 16 & 17. I'm good for both sessions Friday, and probably one session on Saturday. How about this idea..... you try to sell your ticket for all sessions and I'll try to buy just for Friday and maybe Saturday on my own. If neither of us are successful, maybe we can help each other out, let's talk again via email next weekend and see where each of us are at.

My email is mikeabromitis@yahoo.com

Free advice for first timers (remember what you paid for it) is to not be afraid to ride the subway. Great way to get around the city, especially if you are going north and south. Also, Manhattan is very walkable and that is the best way to see the city. Terrain is largely flat and the city is favorable to pedestrians.

Here is a great site for subway novices:
http://www.nycsubwayguide.com/subway/

Now I'm even more confused...lol

My advice: Don't ask a bunch of Iowans how to get around NYC.

Haha very true, I lived in Iowa for a little while. When I responded to Iowans that I was from near Grand Rapids, MI, they would reply with: "ooh, the BIG city!" and then make a face that expressed distaste.
(GR is about 200k people, and what most would consider a "small town.")

Thanks for the reply. I"m not able to buy an All Session, I have a 2 day Jury Duty March 16 & 17. I'm good for both sessions Friday, and probably one session on Saturday. How about this idea..... you try to sell your ticket for all sessions and I'll try to buy just for Friday and maybe Saturday on my own. If neither of us are successful, maybe we can help each other out, let's talk again via email next weekend and see where each of us are at.

My email is mikeabromitis@yahoo.com
Sounds good.

If there is a transit strike those buses better be able to levitate cause the bridges and tunnels will be parking lots. Seriously, if there is a transit strike (I don't think it will happen), you had better be within walking distance of MSG or your trip is going to be a real adventure. You sure as heck will NOT want to be trying to get into the city from NJ.

Strike settled, as I predicted a few days ago.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/20...averted.html#incart_2box_nj-homepage-featured

Abro- I got that ticket sold. Just wanted you to know

Thanks for the heads up. No problem. I'm confident I will get Friday morning session tickets good location under 75, but evening session over 100 probably. I'm not sure I'll go on Sat or watch on ESPN3 unless Ashnault or any RU wrestler is still alive for the title ( a bit of a long shot) . Enjoy the weekend. If you have any NYC questions, just put them here. There is an awesome, inexpensive Greek restaurant a short block away from MSG called Gyro II that I can't recommend high enough for the giant, awesome Gyro or Souvlaki sandwiches, under $10 w the best tzatziki sauce this side of Athens.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g60763-d478825-Reviews-Gyro_II-New_York_City_New_York.html

A tremendous Steak and Chop house near MSG is Keene's (but not cheap)

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...-Keens_Steakhouse-New_York_City_New_York.html

And for a good beer selection, burger, sports bar by MSG try Legends :
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...nds_New_York_City-New_York_City_New_York.html

or Stout:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g60763-d814141-Reviews-Stout-New_York_City_New_York.html

Great list Abro. Keen's mutton chop is WAY better than it sounds. Haven't tried Gyro II but I will now on your recommendation. I can add some other things in the general neighborhood (within walking distance) that might be interesting:

Brasserie Les Halles on Park between 28th and 29th.
This is the restaurant where Anthony Bourdain (author of Kitchen Confidential and star of several TV series about food and travel) worked as a chef. Great steak frites with salad for $24 which is a huge bargain in NYC. Much more casual than you would expect and best fries in town in my book. I am there about once a week (we live at 28th and Park) as my daughter loves the steak frites. First drink is on me if I see you there in Hawkeye gear.

Shake Shack at Madison Square Park.
The original Shake Shack (NYC rival to In-n-out). Check out the line on the webcam before you go but a bucket list item for burger lovers.

Grand Central Terminal.
Yeah, a tourist thing, but spend some time walking around this place. Takes you back to the days when the railroads were king. Note that Penn Station was once much more opulent than Grand Central before MSG was built.

Weather forecast is looking pretty good so it should be fun. I will try to pick up a ticket outside and find the Hawkeye fans inside. Hopefully they will be the ones doing all the cheering.

Go Hawks!

Any known/planned Hawkeye fan hangouts?

Legends Bar,noted above, is the big college alum & fan get together watering hole for big events at MSG, I'm sure you will find many of your compatriots there.

@Crossfacecrade, I like your picks as well ! I was just trying to keep the out of town fans within a very close walking distance to MSG for between sessions or afterward.

Hey, in your neighborhood I am a big fan of Wolfgangs Steak House (Park Ave) one of my favorites of the many great NYC Steakhouses (Peter Lugers, Sparks, Smith &Wollensky, Gallaghers, etc)

Wolfgangs:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...gang_s_Steakhouse-New_York_City_New_York.html

PS- Stubhub still showing reasonable priced tickets for Sessions 1-3, they go up for Sessions 4-6. I will only buy a ticket for the 100 and 200 level. The scalping action outside is usually brisk. Print out a seating chart before heading over.

Another viewing tip is to rent the headphones inside MSG for approx $15 for play by play coverage of each mat.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT