ADVERTISEMENT

London/Paris trip - June

Brian_Fantana

HR All-American
Feb 9, 2006
Wife and I are going to London on June 20th and going to spend half there and half in Paris, give or take, and come back July 1st. We booked flights and our hotel in London; but that’s about it. Neither of us have been and my wife will be planning plenty of shit; but any non standard tourist recs? I know a lot of you have gone; so, thought it would be worth and ask. Only set plan right now is the Sunday Cubs/Cards game. Wife has been wanting to do a trip like this for awhile, so figured tying in a Cubs game was a great time to do it!

We have the Bankside Marriott reserved right now; but not married to the location. Haven’t booked Paris hotel yet as we haven’t decided which day we are heading there. Flying into Heathrow and out of Paris.

Refs for either location would be welcome.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Obviously you’ll have the main sights covered.

For an off the beaten path recommendation in Paris, take a tour of the Catacombs. About an hour at most and a fun little adventure. A boat trip on the Seine is a great time.

Museums are mostly free in London and the British Museum and Imperial War Museum are both great. Hyde Park is beautiful to walk around. Notting Hill is neat to see and walk, and Camden Town/Camden Lock Market is a cool area to hang out in. As is Soho and Chinatown.

I’d just get good walking shoes and wander both cities. Very little trouble you can get into.

You’re going to waste a day to go watch a baseball game in East London?
Well, not a whole day; but, yep. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. Watching my favorite sports team of almost 40 years play a game across the pond sounds like a good time and experience to me. We will probably spend too much time an evening or 2 in some local pubs as well. Leaving most of the planning to the wife, and she's actually kind of intrigued to go to the game as well, so I got that going for me. Was just wondering if anyone had any spots they’d recommend that first timers maybe don't think of.

Admittedly, I don’t really care all that much about a lot of the tourist spots in London or Paris, so in my small mind, I assume 5 days in each is plenty. I’m also quite sure my wife will plan everything possible into that time as she is a bit more cultured than I am

Reactions: Torg
Obviously you’ll have the main sights covered.

For an off the beaten path recommendation in Paris, take a tour of the Catacombs. About an hour at most and a fun little adventure. A boat trip on the Seine is a great time.

Museums are mostly free in London and the British Museum and Imperial War Museum are both great. Hyde Park is beautiful to walk around. Notting Hill is neat to see and walk, and Camden Town/Camden Lock Market is a cool area to hang out in. As is Soho and Chinatown.

I’d just get good walking shoes and wander both cities. Very little trouble you can get into.
Thank you. The Imperial War Museum is one of the spots I am looking forward to. We believe the hotel we chose is in London is decently central to some of things she wants to do, as we would love to be able to walk to a lot of things; but realize we will need to buy a train pass. Haven’t booked a hotel in Paris yet; but will likely soon. Long ways out from the trip; so, just looking for idea to start the planning.

Thank you. The Imperial War Museum is one of the spots I am looking forward to. We believe the hotel we chose is in London is decently central to some of things she wants to do, as we would love to be able to walk to a lot of things; but realize we will need to buy a train pass. Haven’t booked a hotel in Paris yet; but will likely soon. Long ways out from the trip; so, just looking for idea to start the planning.
Cool!
You mentioned skipping the tourist spots, but I’d really recommend you don’t. You’d hate to go to Paris or London and not see the biggies!

Re: metro in London, you can use Apple Pay at the turnstiles

Cool!
You mentioned skipping the tourist spots, but I’d really recommend you don’t. You’d hate to go to Paris or London and not see the biggies!

Re: metro in London, you can use Apple Pay at the turnstiles
Oh yeah, I may have misspoke a bit. I am sure we will have most of the standard tourist spots or tours on the list, so appreciate any non-obvious ideas.

Thanks again

OP, what phone carrier do you have and have you solved a SIM card or burner phone for the trip? I am going to Italy in June and only started to research that topic. Be nice to have all the adults in our group able to use phones while there.

Wife and I are going to London on June 20th and going to spend half there and half in Paris, give or take, and come back July 1st. We booked flights and our hotel in London; but that’s about it. Neither of us have been and my wife will be planning plenty of shit; but any non standard tourist recs? I know a lot of you have gone; so, thought it would be worth and ask. Only set plan right now is the Sunday Cubs/Cards game. Wife has been wanting to do a trip like this for awhile, so figured tying in a Cubs game was a great time to do it!

We have the Bankside Marriott reserved right now; but not married to the location. Haven’t booked Paris hotel yet as we haven’t decided which day we are heading there. Flying into Heathrow and out of Paris.

Thanks in advance
I’ve been to London a couple times. There are some good non-standard options, but if you haven’t done the big stuff, I’d recommend doing that. Make sure you hit the Tower of London, Westminster Abbey and the Tower Bridge. There are other good things, like Buckingham Palace, but those 3 are the things I would hit above all else. I’d also recommend a day trip to Stonehenge.

OP, what phone carrier do you have and have you solved a SIM card or burner phone for the trip? I am going to Italy in June and only started to research that topic. Be nice to have all the adults in our group able to use phones while there.
We got What’s App for our phones a few years ago and love it. Free. With it you can call all over the world for free. I think you need to be on wi-fi. Recommend your friends and family get it too.

Reactions: funksouljon
We got What’s App for our phones a few years ago and love it. Free. With it you can call all over the world for free. I think you need to be on wi-fi. Recommend your friends and family get it too.

hmmm. I do have it for messaging my brother in law in Brazil. Hadn't considered it for use in Italy though. Wifi.... I need to look to see what public wifi looks like there, but thats a really good idea. Thanks. No SIM card or other changes needed? Just wifi and go?

Well, not a whole day; but, yep. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. Watching my favorite sports team of almost 40 years play a game across the pond sounds like a good time and experience to me. We will probably spend too much time an evening or 2 in some local pubs as well. Leaving most of the planning to the wife, and she's actually kind of intrigued to go to the game as well, so I got that going for me. Was just wondering if anyone had any spots they’d recommend that first timers maybe don't think of.

Admittedly, I don’t really care all that much about a lot of the tourist spots in London or Paris, so in my small mind, I assume 5 days in each is plenty. I’m also quite sure my wife will plan everything possible into that time as she is a bit more cultured than I am

There are certain “tourist spots” you 100% must do.

I consider these “tourist spots” absolutely mandatory.

London:
-Tower of London, including the extra Crown Jewels tour which is also a must do. You’ll get more out of this if you want something like The Tudors or at least read up on Henry the 8th and the War of the Roses
-Westminster Abbey, same as the Tower, make sure you read and watch up on the Tudor period
-British Museum, try to do the Brit before the Louvre as the British Army stole relics from Egypt, Greece and Mesopotamia AFTER Napoleon did, so the French got the best stuff to thieve.
-Do at least two shows, a full scale expensive musical and a smaller nonmusical stage play on the West End. It’s like Broadway but with better actors.

Paris:
-Louvre is the best Museum in the world hands down, save most of a full day for it
-Notre Dame de Paris is the best cathedral to go to. Around it are great bakeries, cheese shops, charcuteries (ie sausage and preserved meat shop), and wine shops within easy walking distance so make a great picnic lunch out of your visit
-Boat trip up the Seine river, it’s like the Chicago architectural boat trips but far more magnificent
-Musee d Orangerie is a a great quick museum with a full collection of Monets

hmmm. I do have it for messaging my brother in law in Brazil. Hadn't considered it for use in Italy though. Wifi.... I need to look to see what public wifi looks like there, but thats a really good idea. Thanks. No SIM card or other changes needed? Just wifi and go?
I think so. We have used it on many trips to Europe to call ahead to friends and hotels and contact friends and family back in the states. Never cost us a cent. Probably best to research it a bit.

Reactions: funksouljon
WhatsApp and using Wi-Fi will get you by. But, you’ll probably want to access maps when walking around and to google stuff. I would think it’s a PITA to always be searching for a Wi-Fi connection.

IMO, AT&T is the best for international travel. They have an intl plan that automatically turns on when you’re out of the country. It’s $10 a day and you use your phone / data on the same plan as you do when in the US. The 2nd phone is $5 a day. Can’t beat it.

Paris:
-Louvre is the best Museum in the world hands down, save most of a full day for it
-Notre Dame de Paris is the best cathedral to go to. Around it are great bakeries, cheese shops, charcuteries (ie sausage and preserved meat shop), and wine shops within easy walking distance so make a great picnic lunch out of your visit
-Boat trip up the Seine river, it’s like the Chicago architectural boat trips but far more magnificent
-Musee d Orangerie is a a great quick museum with a full collection of Monets
I love Notre Dame but I don’t think it’s the best church on the little island in Paris.

Sainte-Chapelle is a couple of blocks west and a lot smaller but is much more beautiful in my opinion. It was the church for the nobility. It is on two levels. The upper level is almost all stained glass windows. Incredibly gorgeous.​

I really like the Musee D’Orangerie too.

The boat trip is great in the day or after dark.

Last edited:
I love Notre Dame but I don’t think it’s the best church on the little island in Paris. Saint Chappell is a couple of blocks west and a lot smaller but is much more beautiful in my opinion. It was the church for the nobility. It is on two levels. The upper level is almost all stained glass windows. Incredibly gorgeous.

I really like the Musee D’Orangerie too.

The boat trip is great in the day or after dark.
I was there two weeks ago. Notre Dame is still a construction site. It probably won’t be open until 2024 Olympics. A lot of stuff in Paris is getting updated currently to be ready for next summer.

Something fun that is a little different in Paris - you can bang out a lot of sites quickly. We did a 2CV tour - fun experience in this tiny old car, you can order champagne for the ride. We did it at night and it was a blast. Wife (no pics) + kids squeezed in and loved it. They picked us up after a late dinner and dropped us off at our hotel.

Sainte-Chapelle upper level
Sainte_Chapelle_-_Upper_level_1.jpg

Last edited:
Something fun that is a little different in Paris - you can bang out a lot of sites quickly. We did a 2CV tour - fun experience in this tiny old car, you can order champagne for the ride. We did it at night and it was a blast. Wife (no pics) + kids squeezed in and loved it. They picked us up after a late dinner and dropped us off at our hotel.

Sounds like a great time.

We have a French friend who has a 2CV. Fun 🚗

Reactions: OsceolaNole
We are doing the same trip plus Brussels/Bruges at the end. We booked the JW Grosvenor — it’s next to Hyde Park and right on the hop-on bus route. In Paris we are staying at the Renaissance Republique that’s in the 3rd. Pretty much sticking to the tourist stuff. We did book a bicycle tour in Versailles that looks like fun and going to see Wicked in the West End. Have reservations for high tea at Harod’s. There are a ton of influencers/travelers on YouTube that have some really good tips

I’ll report back on any tips.

Last edited:
I would book anything that requires reservations ASAP. We're going to Italy in October, and our travel planner had a sense of urgency about getting everything booked this month. You're going during peak season, and travel to Europe is at an all time high.

I'm buying Airalo eSims. Will be there in June too.

Given that you mentioned the Imperial War Museum I would recommend The Churchill War Rooms in London (associated with the museum). If you like military history this is a fascinating look, in the actual government bunkers, at how they ran things during the bombings.

For those discussing phones: check with your carrier - Verizon has a $10/day plan that I use every time I am abroad. No need for a different sim, it turns on when you use your phone internationally and turns off when you don’t…you can easily set it up online.

Reactions: Torg and Twoooooooo
I would book anything that requires reservations ASAP. We're going to Italy in October, and our travel planner had a sense of urgency about getting everything booked this month. You're going during peak season, and travel to Europe is at an all time high.
The guided tours of the Louvre are filling up. We are going to buy catacomb tickets when were are there.

Carry pocket change with you, Europe really has no public bathrooms, but you can go into establishments and pay to use them

2nd Arrondissement in Paris is a good one. Lots of things to do, especially if you get bad weather as they have lots of covered passages and galleries. But it's also a good "home base" close enough to everything by Metro. The other one I I like is the 5th, right by the Sarbonne and Pantheon. Great restaurant called Le Coup Chou there. That's the neighborhood in "Midnight in Paris" where he got picked up at midnight.

The Seine boats are called Bateaux Mouches, BTW.

Oh and Steak Frites and Moules Frites early and often. And Laudaree for Macrons and coffee once.

We have Verizon and I believe you can add an international plan just for a month. Haven’t confirmed that yet though.

Edit - see someone mentioned Verizon does $10 a day. Will likely go that route if they don’t do monthly

Thank you all for the ideas and heads up about booking in advance. Heard of most of these, and the Churchill War Rooms sound extremely cool.

We are doing the same trip plus Brussels/Bruges at the end. We booked the JW Grosvenor — it’s next to Hyde Park and right on the hop-on bus route. In Paris we are staying at the Renaissance Republique that’s in the 3rd. Pretty much sticking to the tourist stuff. We did book a bicycle tour in Versailles that looks like fun and going to see Wicked in the West End. Have reservations for high tea at Harod’s. There are a ton of influencers/travelers on YouTube that have some really good tips

I’ll report back on any tips.
The 3rd was recommended to us as well. I looked at the JW Grosvenor and it was a decent price, well decent when comping the area. Got a great rate though at Bankside through a corporate program, so booked that one for now.

What's your plan, or if anyone else has a suggestion, to get between Paris and London, assuming that is your route? Flights are so darn cheap; but, we were thinking of taking the train, as it looks like it would be the same amount of time, and easier with luggage.

The 3rd was recommended to us as well. I looked at the JW Grosvenor and it was a decent price, well decent when comping the area. Got a great rate though at Bankside through a corporate program, so booked that one for now.

What's your plan, or if anyone else has a suggestion, to get between Paris and London, assuming that is your route? Flights are so darn cheap; but, we were thinking of taking the train, as it looks like it would be the same amount of time, and easier with luggage.
We are taking the train. Bought the premium seats (3x) for 450.

If you have an interest in WW2 history, a visit to the Churchill War Bunker (in London) is a must. Fascinating tour.
In Paris...try and get “lunch reservations” at the Eiffel Tower. It is a process....pick up a Rick Steve’s Paris Guide for the details. But I promise, lunch at the Eiffel Tower is a once in a lifetime experience. However, your time frame for this might be a little short, right now.

We have Verizon and I believe you can add an international plan just for a month. Haven’t confirmed that yet though.

Edit - see someone mentioned Verizon does $10 a day. Will likely go that route if they don’t do monthly

Sweet baby jesus... $10 / day * 5 phone * 16 days.... There is definitely a better way. Of course, whats $800 on top of the @$10K+ in flights.

Reactions: Funky Bunch

I loved talking the train from Paris to London. The Chunnel was excellent. It’s also a great opportunity to see the French and English countryside.
Bon voyage

Reactions: Brian_Fantana

Thanks in advance
If you are a WW2 buff then I would not leave that place until I took a train to Caen to visit the WW2 museum and see Normady. If you drive it (3 hours) on the way back you can hit Giverny and see Monet's estate. Well worth 2 days of the trip.

Two words: City Pass

I forgot to check if someone said this, but yes I consider the City Pass absolutely mandatory in Paris and helpful but not mandatory in London. The Hop on Hop Off Sightseeing Bus that comes with the City Pass is faster and more useful than regular Paris transportation to get to all of the standard tourist areas. The Parisian version is invaluable And a must get.

Reactions: joelbc1
Paris:

1. What Torg said re: the St. Chappelle. It's just emotionally breathtaking when the light shines through thosee windows, and has a strange mix of gothic intricacy with incredible simplicity in the individual stained glass of panels.
2. If I had to pick an art museum in Paris, I'd actually go for the L'Orangerie. Louvre is obviously great but just overwhelming like the met in NYC; L'Oranerie is more focused, has the water lillies and a neat collection of other early modern stuff. At least do it first so you don't get art fatigue, as you can always do the Louvre later.
3. Beyond that, honestly, to me, the best part of Paris is just walking the boulevards, stopping at a cafe whenever you're tired for a simple bite to eat and coffee.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT